Apple to acquire EA?

• Posted: 28 April 2009 03:55 PM

http://upsidedowncharts.com/2009/04/28/street-chatter/

Is this good?  Is this possible?

• Posted: 28 April 2009 04:04 PM #1

Notorious - 28 April 2009 06:55 PM

The part about Verizon and Microsoft teaming up to build an iPhone killer is good, as in a good joke.  It’s hilarious.  Two drowning swimmers trying to save each other.  You can smell the arrogance and ignorance from here.  This part is DBA (Dead Before Arrival).

• Posted: 28 April 2009 04:14 PM #2

Zeke - 28 April 2009 07:04 PM
    Notorious - 28 April 2009 06:55 PM

The part about Verizon and Microsoft teaming up to build an iPhone killer is good, as in a good joke.  It’s hilarious.  Two drowning swimmers trying to save each other.  You can smell the arrogance and ignorance from here.  This part is DBA (Dead Before Arrival).

Engadget has an article about that as well

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/microsofts-pink-smartphone-could-rival-iphone-on-verizon/

Microsoft is such a me too.

Posted: 28 April 2009 04:45 PM #3

Now the MSFT/VZ deal is making its way to the front page of MarketWatch.

Re EA: An Apple acquisition of EA may be similar to when MSFT acquired Bungie prior to the XBox release. Owning EA may be just the ticket to convert the Touch, and rumored Tablet, into a full gaming device.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 28 April 2009 04:58 PM #4

Play Ultimate - 28 April 2009 07:45 PM

Re EA: An Apple acquisition of EA may be similar to when MSFT acquired Bungie prior to the XBox release. Owning EA may be just the ticket to convert the Touch, and rumored Tablet, into a full gaming device.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Posted: 28 April 2009 05:11 PM #5

Sad thing was that Bungie was all Mac before that… Halo was demoed at a MacWorld of forthcoming game technology for Mac. At least they are free now…

Signature

Posted: 28 April 2009 06:32 PM #6

rattyuk - 28 April 2009 08:11 PM

Sad thing was that Bungie was all Mac before that… Halo was demoed at a MacWorld of forthcoming game technology for Mac. At least they are free now…

It was a sad day when MSFT bought Bungie.  Apple gaming took a huge hit that day. I remember the lamentations over the fact that Bungie would no longer have the back page of MacAddict.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 April 2009 12:36 AM #7

I’m not seeing any corroboration of this story. The price would be high for what Apple receives in return. Does Apple want to be in the video game business on all platforms?

• Posted: 29 April 2009 07:49 AM #8

EA has had a bigger drop in the last 18 months than almost all tech stocks. It was $60+ and when I last looked $14. So it could be just recovering (a la SNDK) with a few big buyers. I would be shocked if Apple bought this company in that EA is busy developing games for iPhone and presumably for Apples forthcoming devices. Now MSFT buying EA sounds more probable but still unlikely imho.

• Posted: 29 April 2009 09:36 AM #9

SNIPUS - 29 April 2009 10:49 AM

EA has had a bigger drop in the last 18 months than almost all tech stocks. It was $60+ and when I last looked $14. So it could be just recovering (a la SNDK) with a few big buyers. I would be shocked if Apple bought this company in that EA is busy developing games for iPhone and presumably for Apples forthcoming devices. Now MSFT buying EA sounds more probable but still unlikely imho.

Exactly. Why buy the company when they are already developing for you for free and you get 30 percent of the cut via the app store…

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 29 April 2009 11:29 AM #10

litespeed - 29 April 2009 12:36 PM
    SNIPUS - 29 April 2009 10:49 AM

Exactly. Why buy the company when they are already developing for you for free and you get 30 percent of the cut via the app store…

Prevent Bungie effect :groucho:.  Game consoles are usually launched with a fairly good free game.  If Apple is acquiring EA, we can expect a Apple branded game console.  Btw, I’ve no idea whether Apple would be acquiring EA or launching a game console, just a comment from observing the industry.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 29 April 2009 11:57 AM #11

The only way that an Apple acquisition of EA would make any sense at all was if the AppleTV was going to take a big stride into the games console arena. Even then, I don’t see the point when they would like develop for the AppleTV anyway, particularly if all AppleTV games could only be bought from the App Store.

The other half of the rumor was that Disney would partner with Apple in this. I can see Disney buying EA outright, as there is plenty of scope for games featuring Disney characters.

It’s more likely that Jobs was mentioned in relation to this as he is part of Disney’s board, and people immediately think Apple is involved too.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 29 April 2009 12:07 PM #12

Mace - 29 April 2009 02:29 PM

Prevent Bungie effect :groucho:.

You mean as a defensive move by Apple? Would make sense to keep EA out of Microsoft’s greasy palms, so as to ensure a big name game developer keep’s designing games for the Mac and iPhone.

I don’t see Apple entering the game console or handheld market. It seems to be too much against the spirit of Jobs, dispersive of corporate effort, and anyway the iPhone/Touch can make up for most casual gaming. Apple is better off by leaving EA alone, if EA guarantees perpetual development for Apple products.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 29 April 2009 12:40 PM #13

awcabot - 29 April 2009 03:07 PM
    Mace - 29 April 2009 02:29 PM

Prevent Bungie effect :groucho:.

You mean as a defensive move by Apple? Would make sense to keep EA out of Microsoft’s greasy palms, so as to ensure a big name game developer keep’s designing games for the Mac and iPhone.

I don’t see Apple entering the game console or handheld market. It seems to be too much against the spirit of Jobs, dispersive of corporate effort, and anyway the iPhone/Touch can make up for most casual gaming. Apple is better off by leaving EA alone, if EA guarantees perpetual development for Apple products.

I have to disagree with the statement about Apple entering the Handheld market.  They have most definitely entered the market.  Look at the Itouch ads.  As an example my 14 yrs old Nephew bought one with his easter money to play games.  For the teen demographic it probably has more to offer then the DS or PSP because they can get their parents to gift the device and the games are cheaper.  The App store is attracting some top end game development such as Assassin’s Creed or Tiger Woods Golf so Apple has definitely entered the Handheld gaming market.  I would expect to see a controller attachment demoed with the 3.0 release or provided by a third party   IcontrolPad

• Posted: 29 April 2009 12:50 PM #14

I don’t see Apple entering the game console or handheld market..

The iPod touch (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) is positioned and marketed as a handheld gaming device. Just look at the ads.

Posted: 29 April 2009 01:19 PM #15

DawnTreader - 29 April 2009 03:50 PM

I don’t see Apple entering the game console or handheld market..

The iPod touch (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) is positioned and marketed as a handheld gaming device. Just look at the ads.

Can’t see ‘em. I live in Italy and I have no TV. smile

But the iPhone/Touch are not marketed as game consoles, but as portable computers that also do games. But even if they were, a game for the iPhone will be much simpler than a game for a PC or dedicated console. EA’s prowess would be wasted if it was dedicated exclusively for this platform.

Signature

Tightwad.