Microsoft to continue shipping Windows XP indefinitely!

• Posted: 29 April 2009 06:44 AM

How did I miss this? Turns out MS is going to ship a full copy of pre-activated Windows XP SP3, pre-installed in Virtual PC, with every copy of Windows 7!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/27/windows_7_xp_mode/

(snigger)

Perhaps GM can save itself with a free horse and buggy with every purchase?

• Posted: 29 April 2009 07:15 AM #1

I may have been a bit quick there - seems it is only Windows 7 professional, enterprise and ultimate that include XP. In other words, MS is gradually conceding the consumer PC market to Apple, and circling the wagons round the enterprise market?

Posted: 29 April 2009 08:58 AM #2

Call me confused, but I don’t see how this makes any sense if MSFT is trying to move forward.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 29 April 2009 10:02 AM #3

It guarantees legacy support, and a way for IT administrators to fall-back on something they know, in case Win7 is a flop.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 29 April 2009 10:44 AM #4

awcabot - 29 April 2009 01:02 PM

It guarantees legacy support, and a way for IT administrators to fall-back on something they know, in case Win7 is a flop.

I understand that.  THe problem is that the Wintel business model was built on forced obsolescence due to increasing Windows requirements that necessitated buying a faster computer. And Intel coming out with faster computers that enabled Windows to run more things. 
    This move is bad for everyone since MSFT is acknowledging that there is no real need to upgrade. It can also be argued that it is falling directly into the hands of the Netbook makers since there is no real need to have a “full-fledged” computer since the netbooks of today are more powerful than the desktops of 2001, when XP was first released.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 29 April 2009 11:32 AM #5

Play Ultimate - 29 April 2009 01:44 PM
    awcabot - 29 April 2009 01:02 PM

I understand that.  THe problem is that the Wintel business model was built on forced obsolescence due to increasing Windows requirements that necessitated buying a faster computer. And Intel coming out with faster computers that enabled Windows to run more things. 
    This move is bad for everyone since MSFT is acknowledging that there is no real need to upgrade. It can also be argued that it is falling directly into the hands of the Netbook makers since there is no real need to have a “full-fledged” computer since the netbooks of today are more powerful than the desktops of 2001, when XP was first released.

Interesting perspective but I think MSFT is merely copying Apple’s MacOS X/classic strategy.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 29 April 2009 11:45 AM #6

I’m inclined to think that with the advent of virtual machines it is now far easier for Microsoft to move to a whole new OS than it was for Apple to move off OS 9 and then PPC. Apple had to come up with Classic and had to buy the company that made Rosetta and repurpose it for running PPC apps on Intel.

In retrospect, Microsoft’s purchase of Virtual PC was unnecessary. All they needed was to bundle an activated XP on Virtualbox with a whole new OS. To keep the VirtualBox crowd happy they could have donated development resources to improving that and porting it to their new OS. Then it’s goodbye aged Windows cruft.

Much that I dislike MS, it’s probably too soon to write them off.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 29 April 2009 12:22 PM #7

Question: If they are finally going to use virtualization to transition from legacy XP Apps, then why don’t they just rewrite Windows from the ground up and offer a totally lean, cutting-edge (perhaps Unix-based) OS?  (And finally consign that infernal registry to the ash heap of computing history.)

Answer: Because they should have done that with Vista, and since they didn’t do it then they have to offer some continuity for the poor schmucks who bought Vista.

Real Answer:  Because that would have been the smart thing to do from the get-go and they wouldn’t be Microsoft if Ballmer didn’t do something colossally stupid instead.

[ Edited: 29 April 2009 12:32 PM by aardman ]      

Posted: 29 April 2009 12:33 PM #8

sleepytoo - 29 April 2009 09:44 AM

How did I miss this? Turns out MS is going to ship a full copy of pre-activated Windows XP SP3, pre-installed in Virtual PC, with every copy of Windows 7!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/27/windows_7_xp_mode/

(snigger)

Perhaps GM can save itself with a free horse and buggy with every purchase?

Innit XP the pinnacle of Microsoft’s achievements? I mean is seems to run Active Trader Pro well enough so long as I don’t install the service pack 3 update and I keep any other updates from installing so that it dunnit crash.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 29 April 2009 01:25 PM #9

Eric:
    Same for me—-I only use XP for trading via Fidelity ATP, and I haven’t dared install any XP upgrade more recent than SP2. Microsoft clearly hit its peak with XP 7 years ago and, much Gibbon described for Rome in his classic, is in the middle of a long, slow, painful decline.

• Posted: 29 April 2009 01:28 PM #10

Apparently M$‘s second major OS release will also be spurned, with Windows users holding on to a seven-year old OS instead. Why doesn’t M$ just give up on the OS front. They’re incompetent, sell your bloated office suite, which at least isn’t complete shit.

Signature

MacBook (2 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 60 GB, Superdrive).

iPhone

iBook (800 MHz G3, 640 MB RAM, 30 GB, Combo Drive).

Posted: 29 April 2009 01:37 PM #11

Windows might be dragging MicroSoft down, but there is a lot of momentum keeping it afloat and it could take a while. There are a lot of older PCs out there running vertical market software that would be expensive to replace.

Is it time for MicroSoft to take a gamble and let Windows as we know it wither in the way that Apple did with OS9? Maybe not right now, maybe not in this economy, but that fork in the road is coming up.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 29 April 2009 01:46 PM #12

yakirz - 29 April 2009 04:28 PM

Apparently M$‘s second major OS release will also be spurned, with Windows users holding on to a seven-year old OS instead.

I so hope that is the case. Imagine Win7 being released to the sound of tumbleweeds and crickets. It would be a high point for me.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 29 April 2009 04:40 PM #13

wheeles - 29 April 2009 02:45 PM

I’m inclined to think that with the advent of virtual machines it is now far easier for Microsoft to move to a whole new OS than it was for Apple to move off OS 9 and then PPC.

I agree that this is probably Microsoft’s plan, though it will definitely take a fair amount of time to implement. After MS releases Windows 7, I suspect that they will announce something like ‘Windows X’, which will be largely brand-new. Breaking backwards compatibility has been one of the key reason that MS hasn’t made the serious, necessary changes to Windows to make it a really good product for users. Another reason is that MS has tended to pander to the MIS-IT management crowd - the people who only have perceived value if corporate computer users require professional support.

I say that I think ‘Windows X’ (or whatever its name ends up as) will be ‘largely brand-new’, because I doubt that MS will ever start over with an entirely new Windows code base. If anybody thinks that MS will ever make a UNIX/Linux-based OS, think again. MS will never put out a flag-ship product of which they are not 100% in control.

In retrospect, Microsoft’s purchase of Virtual PC was unnecessary. All they needed was to bundle an activated XP on Virtualbox with a whole new OS. To keep the VirtualBox crowd happy they could have donated development resources to improving that and porting it to their new OS. Then it’s goodbye aged Windows cruft.

Here’s the thing: Microsoft bought VirtualPC several years ago. I don’t know for sure, but I don’t think Virtualbox has been around or, at least, been a viable consumer product, for that long. Also, are you suggesting that Microsoft would actually get into bed with the great, evil OSS community?!

When Microsoft purchased VirtualPC, they did so for two specific reasons: 1) So that they could discontinue the Mac version as quickly as possible without landing in legal trouble, and 2) So that they could use it to facilitate Windows virtualization in their own products. Luckily, before MS had the chance to kill off Windows virtualization on the Mac, Apple made the Intel switch, then VMWare Fusion and Parallels came along, providing an even better VM option for Mac users.

To be honest, at the risk of being labeled an MS fanboy (which I’m definitely not), I think that if MS uses virtualized Windows XP as a bridge for backwards compatibility, and then uses the new-found freedom to really overhaul Windows, that will be a Very Good Thing?. How can it not be a good thing to get the vast majority of computer users away from the current versions of Windows, with all of the associated problems? It could help prevent lot of expensive data loss from bugs, malware, etc., which really does affect our economies. It could also help people to be more productive with their computers. Heck! It could even help push computer interfaces away from the old Desktop metaphor.

Unlike most Mac users, I’d actually be happy if Microsoft came out with a wonderfully intuitive, innovative, secure, stable and useable version of Windows. If they can pull it off, more power to them. Also, it would provide Apple with real competition in the quality (vs. commodity) OS software space, motivating them to produce even better products than they currently do.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

Posted: 29 April 2009 04:51 PM #14

Hannibal - 29 April 2009 04:25 PM

Eric:
    Same for me—-I only use XP for trading via Fidelity ATP, and I haven’t dared install any XP upgrade more recent than SP2. Microsoft clearly hit its peak with XP 7 years ago and, much Gibbon described for Rome in his classic, is in the middle of a long, slow, painful decline.

Hannibal, I honor the place where your knowledge of history and my sense of humor meet. Smile.  LOL

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 29 April 2009 05:19 PM #15

I heard there will be several versions of Windows 7:

Windows 7 Caveman $4.95
    Windows 7 Redneck $9.95
    Windows 7 Soccer Mom $19.95
    Windows 7 Blue Collar $29.95
    Windows 7 Suburbanite $44.95
    Windows 7 Semi-pro $99.95
    Windows 7 Professional $419.95
    Windows 7 IAmRich $999.95