iPhone In-Car Satellite Navigation?

Posted: 29 April 2009 03:01 PM

Does anyone know if there are plans to put In-Car Satellite Navigation software on the iPhone/iPod touch?

My Snooper Syrius has just decided to stop working after I tried to update the database on it via Windows on VirtualBox. The update worked, but now my device doesn’t. I am getting seriously pissed off at having to use Windows to update this and would love to use an iPod touch for in-car satellite navigation instead. I’m sure this whole category of devices is ripe for gobbling up by the iPhone/iPod juggernaut.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 29 April 2009 03:11 PM #1

see this blog…

http://mind2009.blogspot.com/2009/02/sygic-demos-turn-by-turn-gps-iphone-app.html

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 29 April 2009 03:34 PM #2

wheeles - 29 April 2009 06:01 PM

Does anyone know if there are plans to put In-Car Satellite Navigation software on the iPhone/iPod touch?

My Snooper Syrius has just decided to stop working after I tried to update the database on it via Windows on VirtualBox. The update worked, but now my device doesn’t. I am getting seriously pissed off at having to use Windows to update this and would love to use an iPod touch for in-car satellite navigation instead. I’m sure this whole category of devices is ripe for gobbling up by the iPhone/iPod juggernaut.

I
    The Itouch does not include a GPS, so it would have to be an Iphone 3G.  That said the only program I’m aware which does the turn by turn.

http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone/tabid/2463/Default.aspx

Be advised that the OSX 3.0 SDK has some significant changes to the core location which should mean more turn by turn applications.  They also will allow Car Sat Nav if the developer brings their own maps so I would expect Tom Tom to have software for the Iphone after release of Iphone OS 3.0.

Posted: 29 April 2009 04:10 PM #3

pats - 29 April 2009 06:34 PM

The Itouch does not include a GPS, so it would have to be an Iphone 3G.

In which case, GPS would seem like an obvious addition to the next iteration of the iPod touch.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 11 June 2009 01:38 AM #4

pats - 29 April 2009 06:34 PM

Be advised that the OSX 3.0 SDK has some significant changes to the core location which should mean more turn by turn applications.  They also will allow Car Sat Nav if the developer brings their own maps so I would expect Tom Tom to have software for the Iphone after release of Iphone OS 3.0.

Navagon* has also announced an App/Map combo for the iPhone.

* I may have the name wrong, but it should sound familiar to those it sounds familiar to.

• Posted: 11 June 2009 06:54 AM #5

Watch the Tomtom demo segment of WWDC keynote. It seems that the Tomtom iPhone dock thingy that sticks to your windscreen or dash may include its own GPS hardware (described as “enhanced” GPS). If this is true the reason may be precisely that that add-on hardware cost for Tomtom is no more than $3 or so, and the benefit for TomTom is that it can work with original iPhones and iPod touches too. Makes sense for TomTom, but we’ll have to see if Apple licences it for those uses! (remember that some of the license fees paid for each GPS chip go to TomTom anyway, so their costs are lower than they look.

Posted: 11 June 2009 07:04 AM #6

willrob - 11 June 2009 04:38 AM

Navagon* has also announced an App/Map combo for the iPhone.

* I may have the name wrong, but it should sound familiar to those it sounds familiar to.

You got it nearly right.  :wink: Here is a link to their site: Navigon

The announcement was already in our AAPL News Updates:

pats - 09 June 2009 02:40 PM

Looks like Wheeles prayers are answered.

Electronista

NAVIGON today signaled its intent to compete against TomTom’s iPhone app with software of its own. A version of MobileNavigator will use iPhone OS 3.0’s support of turn-by-turn GPS to provide the same driving directions as many of its dedicated GPS units, including its Reality View, lane and speed assists, and its notification of road signs. Owners can play music from their device’s existing library, plot routes based on contacts’ addresses and auto-resume navigation after taking a call.

Posted: 11 June 2009 09:35 AM #7

sleepytoo - 11 June 2009 09:54 AM

Watch the Tomtom demo segment of WWDC keynote. It seems that the Tomtom iPhone dock thingy that sticks to your windscreen or dash may include its own GPS hardware (described as “enhanced” GPS). If this is true the reason may be precisely that that add-on hardware cost for Tomtom is no more than $3 or so, and the benefit for TomTom is that it can work with original iPhones and iPod touches too. Makes sense for TomTom, but we’ll have to see if Apple licences it for those uses! (remember that some of the license fees paid for each GPS chip go to TomTom anyway, so their costs are lower than they look.

I would agree that it probably contains a GPS repeater/antenna might also contain a digital compass but will probably rely on the Iphone SOC for all the calculations and map storage which would make it lower cost.  The accessory might be an nice addition for the hand-free calling feature depending how it works.  I broke my car charger adapter so I will definitely take a look once they announce pricing.