I Need A MacBook!

• Posted: 29 April 2009 04:31 PM

It’s time to retire the old G4 iBook.  I’m looking at a 2.4Ghz MacBook with 250GB Hd, and aluminum case.  I’m open to thoughts, experiences, and recommendations.  BTW, my wife and I still have our G5 towers, so no need for a MacBook Pro.  She’s still happy with her iBook.

Posted: 29 April 2009 04:34 PM #1

Zeke - 29 April 2009 07:31 PM

It’s time to retire the old G4 iBook.  I’m looking at a 2.4Ghz MacBook with 250GB Hd, and aluminum case.  I’m open to thoughts, experiences, and recommendations.  BTW, my wife and I still have our G5 towers, so no need for a MacBook Pro.  She’s still happy with her iBook.

Sign up for a summer class at the local community college and wait for the back to school “Buy a Mac, Get an iPod” promotion. We have bought MacBooks the past two summers. Fortunately, my wife is a teacher and gets the same deal via educator discount.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 April 2009 05:07 PM #2

Yep, my wife used to be an Apple employee and we got great discounts.  now she’s home schooling our sons and we get the educational discount, but it’s not as big.  I’m also considering a refurb unit for about a 20% discount.  We’ve had good luck with those in the past, and you can still get Apple Care on them.

• Posted: 29 April 2009 06:21 PM #3

I have a friend that is selling a brand new in the box MacBook Pro 17inch (the older version) for $1,500
    4gb ram, 250hd, 2.5 ghz intel core duo glossy screen.

Signature

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don?t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ?For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.?
    2 Corinthians 9:7

Posted: 29 April 2009 07:11 PM #4

Zeke - 29 April 2009 08:07 PM

Yep, my wife used to be an Apple employee and we got great discounts.  now she’s home schooling our sons and we get the educational discount, but it’s not as big.  I’m also considering a refurb unit for about a 20% discount.  We’ve had good luck with those in the past, and you can still get Apple Care on them.

I love refurbs. But the free iPod along with edu discount is a great deal, if you want another iPod. :wink:

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 April 2009 08:17 PM #5

Zeke - 29 April 2009 07:31 PM

G5 Towers vs. MacPros (as opposed to MacBook Pros)—ahhh, more Intel power to run business apps unavailable on the PowerPC chip (unless you want to suffer a fate worse than waterboarding named Virtual PC by Mr. Softie).

Posted: 29 April 2009 10:56 PM #6

Zeke, have you looked into using Microsoft’s Live.com Cashback deal. I bought a Mac Pro tower last fall using this and saved some money. There is something kinda’ sweet knowing that Microsoft was subsidizing my Mac purchase. This may provide you with a better deal or not.

:apple:

Posted: 30 April 2009 01:02 AM #7

Zeke,

I would hold on until a new (or refurb) laptop comes with snow leopard.  That saves a hundred.  The EDU discount is a great idea too.

The extended warranty is definitely worth it on a laptop as they run hot and get kicked around a lot.

Personally, since I am attached at the fingers to my laptop, I would go for a pro version because it is just a better tool.

I still am using my 1.67 ghz g4 aluminum (this was the first laptop with an optional graphics card that can run the 30” cinema, which I do all the time) and it had a new screen and motherboard installed courtesy of applecare a year or so ago.  Its fine for the basics nowadays but I am beginning to feel the need for an upgrade for the graphic / photography work that I do.

OTOH, you might want to wait for the tablet with a bluetooth keyboard….... or not.

Good luck!

• Posted: 30 April 2009 01:47 AM #8

Bryanyc - 30 April 2009 04:02 AM

Zeke,

I would hold on until a new (or refurb) laptop comes with snow leopard.  That saves a hundred.  The EDU discount is a great idea too.

The extended warranty is definitely worth it on a laptop as they run hot and get kicked around a lot.

Personally, since I am attached at the fingers to my laptop, I would go for a pro version because it is just a better tool.

I still am using my 1.67 ghz g4 aluminum (this was the first laptop with an optional graphics card that can run the 30” cinema, which I do all the time) and it had a new screen and motherboard installed courtesy of applecare a year or so ago.  Its fine for the basics nowadays but I am beginning to feel the need for an upgrade for the graphic / photography work that I do.

OTOH, you might want to wait for the tablet with a bluetooth keyboard….... or not.

Good luck!

Sounds like you have the last PowerBook 1.67 machine—one of my favorites, next to the earlier Pismo.  Although I really like the new Intel machines running Parallels software for certain PC apps.  And I too highly recommend AppleCare on notebooks—there is an EDU discount on them too.

• Posted: 30 April 2009 07:01 AM #9

I sold my 4.5 year old Powerbook G4 on Ebay 6 months ago for $400. I bought the base aluminum macbook and love it.
    The LED back lit glossy screen is great. The contrast and colors are sharp. It has plenty power for what I do. The new trackpad is genius.
    I also added the Ihome Capsule speakers to it. These things sound very good and only $50.

Posted: 30 April 2009 10:30 AM #10

If you’re looking for AppleCare, check out e-Bay. I’ve bought AppleCare from e-Bay for a couple of Macs and saved a lot!

• Posted: 30 April 2009 02:13 PM #11

MacCube - 30 April 2009 01:56 AM

Zeke, have you looked into using Microsoft’s Live.com Cashback deal. I bought a Mac Pro tower last fall using this and saved some money. There is something kinda’ sweet knowing that Microsoft was subsidizing my Mac purchase. This may provide you with a better deal or not.

This is amazing, they are paying people to use live search? Sorry to be off topic, but that’s amazing!

Posted: 30 April 2009 02:25 PM #12

I made the same trade last November. Retired my PB G4 1.25Ghz system and picked up a silver MacBook. I went with the 2.0 Ghz unit and used the extra money to bump the memory to 4Gb. I remember at the time seeing a comparison of the 2.0 Ghz and the faster models (2.2 or 2.4, I don’t exactly remember) and there was only a few percentage difference in benchmark speeds. I figured the difference would be effectively erased with a 2Ghz unit with max RAM vs the higher speed one with the stock RAM. (As I’m not made of money, highest speed/MAX ram wasn’t an option.) I ended up getting the memory from Apple. Normally I don’t do that but in this case the price was essentially the same as going to RAMJet and I didn’t have to worry about the warrantee. YMMV .

I really love this little thing. I have emulated environments for RedHat, Ubuntu, and WinXP and they are plenty fast for my needs. Video playback is much smoother than on the old G4. It’s a lot lighter than my old G4. The battery lasts much longer than the <four year old> one in the G4. I was most worried about the smaller screen but other than a few cases where I was working on a large document, it really hasn’t been an issue. Complaints: The screen is beautiful, just try to avoid working with a light behind you. The keyboard is black with white lettering, which is a b***h to read in low light. Other than that it’s a wonderful system.

Aside/ At the same time I got a white 2 Ghz MacBook for my wife. $849 after finding what I wanted on the refurb list and then getting them to apply the company discount. It also runs well but it’s a bit RAM strangled. The stock 1Gb is just not quite enough for even just surfing, video, and e-mail. I’m going to bump it to 2Gb as soon as I have some cash.

[ Edited: 30 April 2009 02:29 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 30 April 2009 04:10 PM #13

Check Apple insider for best prices.  i got the 2.4hgz MBP for $1699 after rebate.  Added 4 GB of memory and a 320GB 7200rpm hard drive msyelf for about 4150 more.
    They list the best prices plus several companies give more off for Apple Insider readers.
    http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

Posted: 30 April 2009 04:13 PM #14

Acknowledging that you specifically stated no need for Pro: I did step up from a G4 iBook to a late 2008 MacBook Pro, 15.4”, 2.4 GHz, 2 gigs, 250GB drive. I’ve never had anything more powerful, certainly not a Tower (iMac’s as far as I’ve taken it for a desktop). This was a major step up for me, necessary to travel with Logic Pro, which sometimes pushes this MBP to its edge and over.

I did consider the MacBooks, and I don’t recall all specs, but assuming that the MacBook features are otherwise much the same as the MBP: I felt uncertain about the glossy-only screen, but now I’m fine with it. And man, that sucker can be BRIGHT. I usually keep it dimmed by about 4-5 notches.

I’ll second MacCube on the AppleCare. Definitely worth the money for a portable (I shudder to think back on some of the fate-tempting accidents which my G4 somehow survived with nary a trip to the Genius Bar), but do check eBay and others. I saved about $130.

geoduck mentioned having trouble with the white-on-black keyboard in low light. I haven’t found that a problem; in low light the backlight shows everything fine for even my aging eyes. YMMV. Meanwhile, the white-on-black looks great with the aluminum unibody. Niiiice. Worth spending another $20-$30 on a Speck plastic cover and related protection.

Good luck, and enjoy.

cb

[ Edited: 30 April 2009 04:29 PM by cb50dc ]      

Posted: 30 April 2009 05:23 PM #15

cbsofla - 30 April 2009 07:13 PM

I haven’t found that a problem; in low light the backlight shows everything fine for even my aging eyes.

Unfortunately the 2Ghz MacBook I got doesn’t have keyboard backlighting. I never found it that helpful on the G4, so I figured I wouldn’t miss it. From what I hear now though,  the MacBooks are a good deal brighter.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery