I Need A MacBook!

• Posted: 30 April 2009 11:01 PM #16

It is most definitely worth the extra couple of hundred bucks to get the aluminum-cased macbook if you want to use the machine for more than a couple of years.

I am a student, and I bought myself a nice white 2.2GHz C2D. It is plenty fast for everything, including Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio, as long as you don’t expect to do anything in real time. It can drive gigantic external displays if that is an issue for you.

Unfortunately after using this for a while I have gotten the feeling that these machines simply aren’t built to last. There is a known issue with the plastic chipping off of the keyboard cover (which mine has) and hairline cracks in the casing (which mine has). It also doesn’t have very much strength if any torque is accidentally applied to the machine. This is why I recommend the much more solidly built Aluminum Macbooks, which have an impressive amount of computing power and are built to last for a fraction more money.

Signature

Your Average 18-year-old Mac Geek,
    -alex

Posted: 01 May 2009 01:50 AM #17

I would recommend scouting around for deals on eBay. I’ve bought my last three Macs from there (over about an 11 year spread) and have been completely happy with all purchases… two brand new and one slightly used but basically mint. My last purchase was for a MBP brand new in its package, and $300 below retail price. Could be that it “fell off the back of a truck”... who can say for sure. What I can tell you is that I still have a few months on warranty.

• Posted: 02 May 2009 02:48 AM #18

My decision was between:

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum
    13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
    2GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD?R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Standard keyboard
    $1099

and:

Refurbished MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum
    13.3-inch 1200-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
    2GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD?R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard
    $1299

It was a tough call, but in the end I felt the larger HD, greater speed, and illuminated keyboard all together were worth the extra $200.  I went and played with both at the Apple store before ordering on line.  It should arrive tomorrow.  Can’t wait!

BTW, I also found a new 1 TB SATA 7200 HD for my old G5 tower for $90 at Amazon.  The ST31000333AS is G5 compatible and should allow me to turn my G5 tower into a pretty good file server for the wireless home network.

I feel good about doing my part to boost Apple’s sales and to help spend our way out of this recession.grin

Posted: 02 May 2009 04:05 AM #19

Zeke

Sounds like you made a good decision going with the aluminum.  I like the 15” screen but may be that is because I am used to it.

Thanks for doing your part in keeping the AAPL ship afloat and moving well.

I can see that I am due to get a new one in the next half a year.

The question in the future will become between the ultra portable (and a base computer) or the one does all laptop.

Posted: 06 May 2009 07:12 PM #20

geoduck - 30 April 2009 08:23 PM

...I never found it that helpful on the G4, so I figured I wouldn’t miss it. From what I hear now though, the MacBooks are a good deal brighter.

Yah, it’s a feature that certainly doesn’t justify a major uptick in the cost (all other things equal).

This keyboard is bright enough that when I first saw how it happened in response to diminished ambient light, I brought my wife into a dimly-lit room and repeatedly moved my hand over and then away from the sensor, so she could see the keyboard go on and off.

Not quite as enthusiastic as I was, she just sighed and smiled. wink

cb

[ Edited: 06 May 2009 07:14 PM by cb50dc ]