Apple poaches Microsoft’s Xbox Strategy Boss

• Posted: 30 April 2009 12:58 PM

Thu, 04/30/2009 - 05:21 ? Seth Weintraub

Richard Teversham, (former) senior director of business, insights and strategy for Microsoft’s Xbox, is now moving to Apple. ?Teversham is just the latest in a string of high profile executives leaving established technology firms for Apple.

This particular moves speaks volumes for the future of Apple’s gaming prospects. According to MCV, Teversham has accepted an education-related role at the iPod creator?s European office.

Teversham had worked at Microsoft for over 15 years. He held the role of Xbox director for platform and marketing between 2005 and 2007 before becoming strategy boss. ?A Microsoft spokesperson told MCV this week: ?We can confirm that Richard Teversham, director of business, insights and strategy, has taken a new opportunity outside of Microsoft. A process is underway for recruiting his replacement.

And from Gizmodo:

Apple’s got a very real gaming platform, they’ve got their own chips in place, and now they have a legit gaming strategist. If Nintendo and Sony weren’t concerned at all previously, I imagine at least a bead or two of sweat is dripping down their forehead now, even if direct, bloody conflict between their consoles and the iPhone is still a generation or two away.

Signature

Posted: 30 April 2009 01:55 PM #1

I guess we can look at the XBox as a marketing success despite its profitability.  :wink:

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 30 April 2009 06:03 PM #2

I know a couple of long-time Mac users who are happy X-Box owners (latest iteration).  Both are in their mid-twenties, have iPhones, MacBooks, and multiple iPods.

• Posted: 30 April 2009 06:43 PM #3

capablanca - 30 April 2009 09:03 PM

I know a couple of long-time Mac users who are happy X-Box owners (latest iteration).  Both are in their mid-twenties, have iPhones, MacBooks, and multiple iPods.

Mac users tend to separate their gaming from their working. Hence the fact that they work on the Mac but game on the console of their choice. I have them all but have kind of refused to pay the “Microsoft Tax” for online gaming on the XBOX. It is something like 50 bucks a year. The PS3 is a great all-round entertainment system and the Wii is fun when friends gather.

I would highly recommend the extensions from NULLRIVER which basically make the Mac emulate a media server. The amount of work the PS3 gets from streaming UK TV programs to the TV set is unreal.

Connect 360 for the XBOX and MediaLink for the PS3 running on a Mac is a very powerful combination.

Signature

Posted: 30 April 2009 06:44 PM #4

BTW, if you combine this move with a rumored tablet, a new AppleTV, and the rumored EA take-over, this gets real interesting.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 30 April 2009 07:08 PM #5

capablanca - 30 April 2009 09:03 PM

BTW I am in my mid 20’s (twice grin )

Signature