Twitter

• Posted: 06 May 2009 04:32 PM

There’s a rumor that Apple is negotiating to buy Twitter and everyone says it’s a stupid idea / obviously not happening. Why would Apple pay $30 each for 25 million loss-making users?

Not me, so I feel compelled to repeat what seems obvious. Right there in the first paragraph of Wikipedia’s Twitter entry, it’s described as the “SMS of Internet”. So Apple is buying a controlling influence on the future of SMS. VOIP + Twitter weakens the power of the carriers to extort from consumers. Twitter can surely generate revenue in competition with the absurd prices of SMS. (Imagine the uproar if MobileMe only supported 160 character emails and charged 20c each, in and out)

Posted: 06 May 2009 06:15 PM #1

Would you subscribe to the IPO of Skype?

Disclosure:  I didn’t download Skype on iPhone, did download Skype just to talk to Eric Landstrom once.  Skype is of no use to me.  Currently, a twitter.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 06 May 2009 09:30 PM #2

Mace - 06 May 2009 09:15 PM

Disclosure:  I didn’t download Skype on iPhone, did download Skype just to talk to Eric Landstrom once.  Skype is of no use to me.  Currently, a twitter.

Hey, Mace.  You are at tweeter, not at twitter.  grin

And someday you can tell me of what use twitter is to someone over the age of 40.

Posted: 06 May 2009 10:56 PM #3

capablanca - 07 May 2009 12:30 AM

... And someday you can tell me of what use twitter is to someone over the age of 40.

You can follow me so you can listen to my daily EW twittering.  Is a pretty good mechanism for a group of people of common interest (e.g. sharing trading tips and market opinions) to follow and be followed (lingo used by Twitter).

Signature

• Posted: 06 May 2009 11:40 PM #4

Mace - 07 May 2009 01:56 AM

... And someday you can tell me of what use twitter is to someone over the age of 40.

You can follow me so you can listen to my daily EW twittering.  Is a pretty good mechanism for a group of people of common interest (e.g. sharing trading tips and market opinions) to follow and be followed (lingo used by Twitter).

So it is kind of like a blog for the laconic?

Posted: 06 May 2009 11:56 PM #5

capablanca - 07 May 2009 02:40 AM

... So it is kind of like a blog for the laconic?

If you insist.  Is more like updates.

Signature

• Posted: 07 May 2009 12:51 AM #6

Mace - 07 May 2009 02:56 AM
    capablanca - 07 May 2009 02:40 AM

... So it is kind of like a blog for the laconic?

If you insist.  Is more like updates.

Mace, I am just having a little fun with role reversal.  How do I “follow” you?

• Posted: 07 May 2009 06:10 AM #7

No. I wouldn’t subscribe to the IPO of Twitter either. I just think that if Apple is considering a purchase of Twitter, then it’s about moving the planet off SMS in the long term, and SJ could easily have figured out a way. He also wouldn’t make an offer without knowing how it would pay for itself. SO I’m not against it.

Posted: 07 May 2009 08:05 AM #8

...what use twitter is to someone over the age of 40.

Where SMS is one to one, or one to few, Twitter is one to many. It also has rudimentary aggregation tools, so if several thousand people start tweeting about “#earthquake”, you get the multi-perspective advantage of wikipedia but in real time.

As someone almost 40 (grin) I just spent a month tweeting for work, a different leadership competency every day. In 30 days I gathered 97 ‘followers’ who tune in to read short leadership quotes, link to a 2 minute podcast and focus website for each competency, and reply with their leadership vignettes. Now I’m in a position to keep all these followers entertained, informed, etc.  If you’re in business, twitter can be an extension of your message. You’d have to assign somebody with a solid understanding of your corporate mythos, a persistent internet connection, and a short attention span.

In the end, we have an audience that was not there before, who voluntarily decided our content was compelling enough to add to their daily data stream. That audience has helped spread the message around without our knowledge or help, to their secondary audience of thousands of followers. Was it worth the many minutes I spent getting the message out there in the first place? Hard to tell. If you have a potential audience for a microblog, need another channel for your corporate message, or are a demonstrative narcissist with some time on your hands, twitter may be for you.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 07 May 2009 12:25 PM #9

sleepytoo - 07 May 2009 09:10 AM

No. I wouldn’t subscribe to the IPO of Twitter either. I just think that if Apple is considering a purchase of Twitter, then it’s about moving the planet off SMS in the long term, and SJ could easily have figured out a way. He also wouldn’t make an offer without knowing how it would pay for itself. SO I’m not against it.

sg, you raise a specific example of a general rule that I try to follow:  Many times Apple management does something that I would not have done or fails to do something that I want done.  But I trust them; I have confidence in them; they know more than I do; they are smarter than me.  So I often coach myself to rethink or look deeper.  And in trying to see the unseen, AFB has been valauble.

@rezonate: Thanks.  “Microblog” frames it nicely for me.  And “demontraive narcissist” explains a lot too.

Posted: 07 May 2009 01:08 PM #10

And someday you can tell me of what use twitter is to someone over the age of 40.

I read your following post about just messing around with roll reversal. Anyway, like anything it is has good uses and its time wasting aspect. I guess you could say that it is a group email sort of thing.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 07 May 2009 01:17 PM #11

Sir Harry Flashman - 07 May 2009 04:08 PM

I read your following post about just messing around with roll reversal. Anyway, like anything it is has good uses and its time wasting aspect. I guess you could say that it is a group email sort of thing.

It’s more like a podcast in which user’s subscribe and get short and regular text messages.  I see nothing inherently wrong with Twitter or its basic premise; the question is the value of the messages.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 07 May 2009 01:19 PM #12

Apple should not waste money on Twitter. In a couple of years it will be like Second Life is now; yesterdays toy. Moldy old tech that a few people keep using until they close the doors but most have abandoned for the next big thing. I do disagree with the original pst in one way. Twitter may be the SMS of the internet, but that doesn’t mean that it has any critical technology that Apple needs to go forward.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 07 May 2009 01:57 PM #13

Play Ultimate - 07 May 2009 04:17 PM

It’s more like a podcast in which user’s subscribe and get short and regular text messages.  I see nothing inherently wrong with Twitter or its basic premise; the question is the value of the messages.

I haven’t yet gotten into Twitter, if ever will, but a few weeks ago I enjoyed reading Doonesbury take on it. Also see Joy of Tech’s comic for 6 May 09 where they joke about Apple buying Twitter.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 09 May 2009 11:41 AM #14

This fairly well sums up my opinion of Twitter.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 09 May 2009 12:51 PM #15

With all of the talk of Apple buying Twitter, I have one question:

How would it help sell Apple products?