Microsoft Scraping the Barrel - $30,000 to fill an iPod

• Posted: 11 May 2009 10:34 PM

Video Can be Found Here

Signature

Posted: 12 May 2009 11:04 AM #1

Didn’t MS try this before? Didn’t work then. Doubt it will work now.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 12 May 2009 11:11 AM #2

MS is running scared I think.  It’s amazing how little is coming out of Redmond, and with all the money and resources at their disposal….

• Posted: 12 May 2009 11:11 AM #3

MS asks customers not to learn from experience.

“We may change the service or delete, modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, functions and features of the service at any time and for any reason.”

“... you will need to connect the Zune device(s) to your computer and log into the Zune Marketplace to refresh your device(s) at least monthly or you may lose your access to such content.”

The Spider and the Fly

Mary Howitt

“Will you walk into my parlour?” said the Spider to the Fly,
    “‘Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
    The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
    And I’ve a many curious things to shew when you are there.”
    “Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “to ask me is in vain,
    For who goes up your winding stair can ne’er come down again.”

“I’m sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high;
    Will you rest upon my little bed?” said the Spider to the Fly.
    “There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin,
    And if you like to rest awhile, I’ll snugly tuck you in!”
    “Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “for I’ve often heard it said,
    They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed!”

Said the cunning Spider to the Fly, “Dear friend what can I do,
    To prove the warm affection I ‘ve always felt for you?
    I have within my pantry, good store of all that’s nice;
    I’m sure you’re very welcome, will you please to take a slice?”
    “Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “kind Sir, that cannot be,
    I’ve heard what’s in your pantry, and I do not wish to see!”

“Sweet creature!” said the Spider, “you’re witty and you’re wise,
    How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!
    I’ve a little looking-glass upon my parlour shelf,
    If you’ll step in one moment, dear, you shall behold yourself.”
    “I thank you, gentle sir,” she said, “for what you ‘re pleased to say,
    And bidding you good morning now, I’ll call another day.”

The Spider turned him round about, and went into his den,
    For well he knew the silly Fly would soon come back again:
    So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
    And set his table ready, to dine upon the Fly.

Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did sing,
    “Come hither, hither, pretty Fly, with the pearl and silver wing;
    Your robes are green and purple, there’s a crest upon your head;
    Your eyes are like the diamond bright, but mine are dull as lead!”

Alas, alas! how very soon this silly little Fly,
    Hearing his wily, flattering words, came slowly flitting by;
    With buzzing wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,
    Thinking only of her brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue,

Thinking only of her crested head, poor foolish thing! At last,
    Up jumped the cunning Spider, and fiercely held her fast.
    He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
    Within his little parlour, but she ne’er came out again!

And now dear little children, who may this story read,
    To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne’er give heed:
    Unto an evil counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,
    And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.

[ Edited: 12 May 2009 11:19 AM by sleepytoo ]      

Posted: 12 May 2009 11:42 AM #4

sleepytoo - 12 May 2009 02:11 PM

MS asks customers not to learn from experience.

“We may change the service or delete, modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, functions and features of the service at any time and for any reason.”

Reminds me when I was signing up for continued XM service. I was asked if i wanted to pay for two years in advance thereby getting six months of service for “free.” I told XM that I would only pay monthly because there is a good chance that XM would go BK.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 12 May 2009 02:10 PM #5

+

Intruder - 12 May 2009 02:04 PM

It was the new, legal Napster that tried this, some years ago. They ran a Super Bowl ad called “Do the Math” that featured the Napster mascot holding up signs with a nearly identical argument. I think the claim then (iPods held less in those days) was that it would take $15,000 to fill up an iPod, as opposed to using the Napster subscription model at $15 per month. Honestly, they’re practically the exact same messages: Napster’s then, and Microsoft’s now.

Can’t Microsoft do anything original, ever?

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 12 May 2009 02:46 PM #6

mrmgraphics - 12 May 2009 05:10 PM

+

No LOL

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

• Posted: 12 May 2009 03:53 PM #7

mrmgraphics - 12 May 2009 05:10 PM

+

Intruder - 12 May 2009 02:04 PM

It was the new, legal Napster that tried this, some years ago. They ran a Super Bowl ad called “Do the Math” that featured the Napster mascot holding up signs with a nearly identical argument. I think the claim then (iPods held less in those days) was that it would take $15,000 to fill up an iPod, as opposed to using the Napster subscription model at $15 per month. Honestly, they’re practically the exact same messages: Napster’s then, and Microsoft’s now.

For reference, here’s the ad:

http://www.spike.com/video/do-math-napster/2664236

Also, here’s a great review of the ad: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/do-the-math-napster-apple/

Money quote: “I mean, the Napster Cat looks and acts as if it could have been created by the same ad agency responsible for Microsoft’s dreaded Butterfly.”

• Posted: 12 May 2009 05:34 PM #8

There’s a whiff of desperation in all of these Microsoft ads. Years ago, MS would not have dreamed of even mentioning the words Mac, Apple, iPod or iTunes in their ads. It would be beneath them to acknowledge these products and, from their perspective, would amount more to free publicity for Apple than anything else. How times have changed.

As to this $30,000 business…how is it wrong? Multiple ways. In addition to what the TMO article said, here are two more:

1. Most people don’t want or have a 120GB iPod. They have a nano instead, with only 8 GB (perhaps 16GB).

2. You can fill up the space with videos and movies and podcasts and photos and free downloads and CDs you already own and on and on….all leading to a full iPod for much less than MS implies.

[ Edited: 12 May 2009 06:25 PM by Ted Landau ]

Signature

Ted Landau
    Mac Observer columnist
    User Friendly View

Posted: 12 May 2009 10:01 PM #9

Ted Landau - 12 May 2009 08:34 PM

There’s a whiff of desperation in all of these Microsoft ads.

1. Most people don’t want or have a 120GB iPod. They have a nano instead, with only 8 GB (perhaps 16GB).

Agreed, Ted. The heck of it is, I think even in spite of M$ urge to go on the offensive lately, it still amounts to some free publicity for Apple. Especially when the blog boards light up when people catch on to the BS, as in the ad w/ the girl shopping for a $1000 compooter.

I bought one of the new 16gb Nano’s last fall, and at the time I thought “there’s no way in hell I could fill this thing up”. I’ll tell you what, even when it’s half filled with 8gb of music, it only takes a movie or two & not too many video podcasts to top it off.

Posted: 13 May 2009 12:18 AM #10

xmattingly - 13 May 2009 01:01 AM
    Ted Landau - 12 May 2009 08:34 PM

There’s a whiff of desperation in all of these Microsoft ads.

Agreed, Ted. The heck of it is, I think even in spite of M$ urge to go on the offensive lately, it still amounts to some free publicity for Apple. Especially when the blog boards light up when people catch on to the BS, as in the ad w/ the girl shopping for a $1000 compooter.

I bought one of the new 16gb Nano’s last fall, and at the time I thought “there’s no way in hell I could fill this thing up”. I’ll tell you what, even when it’s half filled with 8gb of music, it only takes a movie or two & not too many video podcasts to top it off.

I had a 60GB iPod that was nearly full: lots of Podcast Music, Podcast videos, a handful of Movies and then my music.  When I got a 32GB Touch, it was painful trying to figure out what to get rid of. And yes my 32GB is nearly full a well.  And unlike the ads, I did not pay $30K to fill it.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 13 May 2009 05:05 AM #11

All the subscription models have done poorly. ms is throwing it against the wall once more to see what sticks. Pity to see millions and million$ frittered away. I suppose it is ms’s contribution to the stimulus effort.

• Posted: 13 May 2009 06:18 AM #12

Microsoft management projects a mixture of denial and anger at the lost public mind share, and internally is probably bargaining (once we get Windows 7 / Windows Mobile 7 / critical mass in search - we’ll be back on track).

One hears of miracle cures, but terminal illnesses usually stay terminal.

New get a Mac ads are out. Elimination is Apple’s concise but devastating answer to Microsoft’s “choosing a PC” anti-Mac ads.