Microsoft?s 10 Windows Commandments [OT]

• Posted: 14 May 2009 08:55 PM

The System is fragile.  Users are a liability.
    The System is vulnerable.  Users must be controlled.
    The System is complex.  Users are ignorant.
    The System knows best.  Users don?t know what they want.
    The System will provide.  Users don?t know what they need.
    The System will sustain.  The System requires servants called Admins.
    The System is dangerous to access directly.  Users must interact with Admins.
    The System is power.  Admins are the Chosen Few.
    The System is vengeful.  Woe be unto those who disobey the Admins.
    The System will comfort its servants.  When things go wrong the System will blame the user.

Posted: 14 May 2009 09:36 PM #1

How about these:

“After sinking trillion of dollars into supporting Windows, CEOs, CIOs and IT departments would not shoot their feet by admitting that Windows is bad.”

“After agonizing through learning how to use Windows, consumers would not want to go through another presumably painful process to learn how to use Mac.”

Currently, Apple has a windows of opportunity to convince consumers to Mac via Mac vs PC ads, halo of iPod/iPhone and it-just-work iTunes.  Will Mac able to go mainstream before MSFT come up with a rock solid OS?  How long would it take to convince consumers?  How long would MSFT come up with a rock solid OS?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 15 May 2009 01:19 AM #2

Mace - 15 May 2009 12:36 AM

How about these:

“After sinking trillion of dollars into supporting Windows, CEOs, CIOs and IT departments would not shoot their feet by admitting that Windows is bad.”

“After agonizing through learning how to use Windows, consumers would not want to go through another presumably painful process to learn how to use Mac.”

Currently, Apple has a windows of opportunity to convince consumers to Mac via Mac vs PC ads, halo of iPod/iPhone and it-just-work iTunes.  Will Mac able to go mainstream before MSFT come up with a rock solid OS?  How long would it take to convince consumers?  How long would MSFT come up with a rock solid OS?

Microsoft would need at least 3 years AFTER they make the decision to scrap Windows and adapt a unix-like OS as Apple did.

• Posted: 15 May 2009 08:03 AM #3

Zeke - 15 May 2009 04:19 AM

Microsoft would need at least 3 years AFTER they make the decision to scrap Windows and adapt a unix-like OS as Apple did.

They are already half way there. The WinXP mode is gonna be around for decades!

Signature

• Posted: 15 May 2009 10:15 AM #4

The problem for Microsoft is that a rock solid OS wouldn’t solve their problems; it would compete on no more than level terms with OS X, Linux etc. The addiction that keeps MS customers paying faces cold turkey either way.

There’s a scene in, I think, Pirates of Silicon Valley, where Steve Jobs tells Bill Gates his stuff is inferior to Apple’s, and Bill says something like “You know what - it doesn’t matter.” This time it’s the other way around.

• Posted: 15 May 2009 01:30 PM #5

The philosophical difference has been there since the beginning.

Microsoft: quick, cheap copy, mass market, saturation

Apple: quality, intuitive, innovative, targeted audience

Signature

“Everything in excess!  To really enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.  Moderation is for monks.” -Lazarus Long

Posted: 15 May 2009 03:47 PM #6

I think it’s deeper than that. I work on Windows and Macs so I’ve seen both sides of the fence. Windows Fanboys have razzed us for years about how the Mac holds our hand and hides so much. Mac users have razzed them for years about how much fiddling Windows systems need.

I think Windows has, going back to it’s hobbyist roots, at it’s core the idea that someone will be there to fiddle with it, a knowledgeable user or SysAdmin. That’s why there are so many patches. That’s why a DOS window is just a click away <yes Mac has a Terminal but you have to dig for it>. That’s why so much time is spent on working on Windows. At it’s core Windows is made with the idea that people will and will WANT to fiddle with their systems because the computer is the heart of the system.

Mac has at it’s core the idea that the computer should take care of itself as much as possible because the user has better things top do than fix the computer. Updates are nearly invisible; a couple of clicks and go get a cup of coffee. We expect that the system will just be there. At it’s core Mac is made with the idea that the computer is not the important thing, what people do with the computer is.

There is some truth to the old saw about Windows users work on their computer and Mac users work with their computer.

[ Edited: 15 May 2009 03:49 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 15 May 2009 05:40 PM #7

geoduck - 15 May 2009 06:47 PM

I think it’s deeper than that. I work on Windows and Macs so I’ve seen both sides of the fence. Windows Fanboys have razzed us for years about how the Mac holds our hand and hides so much. Mac users have razzed them for years about how much fiddling Windows systems need.

I think Windows has, going back to it’s hobbyist roots, at it’s core the idea that someone will be there to fiddle with it, a knowledgeable user or SysAdmin. That’s why there are so many patches. That’s why a DOS window is just a click away <yes Mac has a Terminal but you have to dig for it>. That’s why so much time is spent on working on Windows. At it’s core Windows is made with the idea that people will and will WANT to fiddle with their systems because the computer is the heart of the system.

Mac has at it’s core the idea that the computer should take care of itself as much as possible because the user has better things top do than fix the computer. Updates are nearly invisible; a couple of clicks and go get a cup of coffee. We expect that the system will just be there. At it’s core Mac is made with the idea that the computer is not the important thing, what people do with the computer is.

There is some truth to the old saw about Windows users work on their computer and Mac users work with their computer.

I Disagree that there is a deeper “tinkerer’s” philosophy to Windows.  I think it is simply a result of getting something on the shelves as quickly as possible.  Bugs? Let the user hire an expert to figure them out and then we’ll patch it. Windows “bones” show because covering them costs too much (time, effort, money)  The idea is to get as many out there as possible in as short a time as possible.  Done on the cheap, because 1,000,000 sold at a buck apiece beats 100,000 sold at 5 bucks apiece. The central idea - which has been quite successful - was/is to sell their OS by the batch full to be placed in basic boxes put in industry cubicles, all hammering away at basic information processing tasks, and let industry IT experts take care of the faults. Nothing fancy needed for that, so stick to the bare bones basics.  But then, of course, the home market demands the bones be covered with fancy doodads, so they add a covering as a tack-on to the basic framework and behold, we get bloatware.

Apple, OTOH, is focused on specific target groups: artists, eduction, and home users.  These types of consumer, in general, don’t have an IT tech with a master’s degree to fall back on.  So the bones are covered with a skin that is integral to the the whole structure, not meant to be tinkered with. Macs are a different kind of tool intended for different kind of results.

The target audience, as is with all businesses, is the determining factor.  If your target is individuals whose use is what they do in their leisure time, then you don’t want a system that takes up a big chunk of that leisure time with fiddling.

But if your target is the masses of industry cubicles, then you are going to have a far different approach - as MS obviously does.

[ Edited: 15 May 2009 05:43 PM by zewazir ]

Signature

“Everything in excess!  To really enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.  Moderation is for monks.” -Lazarus Long

Posted: 15 May 2009 09:17 PM #8

I always saw it as:

Linux: For those who love to tinker with their Computer.

Mac: For those who could tinker but have better things to do on their Computer.

Windows: For those too afraid or too cheap to be different with their Computer.

Signature

Smile they said, it could be worse. So we did, and it was!

Posted: 16 May 2009 10:22 AM #9

I think the question of philosophy goes back to the beginning. Bill, Paul and The Two Steves: Guys with a vision, at just the right moment in history, the silicon revolution, the tipping point when common people can finally directly see the relationship between computer programs and work improvements…

================

Bill Gates & Paul Allen are SUPER smart guys. They have a vision of what could happen if EVERY business could have some autonomous computing power. No jockeying for time on a central mainframe controlled by “The Man!” Every business with their OWN programmers, enabling business processes at an accelerated pace, no waiting, no compromises. Wow! Control of your own business’ Software destiny. Clue: Business. Programmers. Managers.

================

Steves Jobs and Wozniak are SUPER smart guys. They have a vision of what could happen if EVERY person could have some autonomous computing power. Yeah, people can get on with typing papers and adding up numbers, but PEOPLE like to CREATE CONTENT - music, poetry, graphics. Wow! Getting done with work and moving on to CREATIVITY seamlessly on a computer that enables the former without obstructing the latter. Clue: Business. People. Creativity.

================

I fuss over my Windows computers like a Ferrari mechanic. I know what happens if you don’t extend that level of effort. I manage 2500 of them at work. Patch after after hot fix after virus update, latency, lockups, profile corruption… However, IF you happen to be a “Ferrari mechanic” - Windows is fine, and can be fun.

I use my Mac OS computers like a Porsche driver.  I know what happens if you don’t extend that level of effort. I improve my technique, adapt to Apple’s admittedly narrow vision of how things ought to be done (Hey, rear-mounted, air-cooled engines are just plain different; take it or leave it.). I catch up with patches, reboot the sucker and get back on the road.

How’s that for philosophy.

Signature

iPad 2, HP TM2 tablet, HP Slate 500, iphone 4G, Unibody MB Pro , MB White, HP dv1000, PB G4, Dell Prec 670, Motion M1300, HP tc1000, Dell X300, HP ze4200, iBook SE, PowerMac 8500, Newton 2100, Quadra 800, PB 145, Classic II, LC II, IICi, SE, Plus

Posted: 23 May 2009 12:42 PM #10

It looks like the on coming generation doesn’t like to fiddle with operating systems.

More Evidence of Apple’s Massive Marketshare Growth in Higher Education
    Friday May 22, 2009 09:16 PM EST
    Written by arn

The latest computing survey results from the University of Virginia’s freshman class show evidence of continued Apple marketshare growth in the higher education market (via Daring Fireball). The chart above shows that Apple has made steady gains since 2003 in the percentage of incoming UVA freshman who own a Mac. The latest year (2008) shows that 37% of incoming students owned a Mac while the percentage owning a Windows computer had shrunk to 62% from a peak of 96% in 2001. The growth tracks closely with the trend towards laptop ownership amongst the Virginia freshman. In 2008, 99% of the incoming students owned a laptop.

The data adds to a number of anecdotal reports that Apple has been making major strides in higher educational marketshare. Last year, Tim Cook confirmed that Apple had become the #1 laptop supplier in higher education for 2007.

Signature

ldrhawke

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups or of Hedge Funds that Naked Short Sell aapl