Palm Pre Release Date 6/6

Posted: 19 May 2009 01:26 PM

Palm Pre on June 6th for $200: It’s official!

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 19 May 2009 01:32 PM #1

incorrigible - 19 May 2009 04:26 PM

Palm Pre on June 6th for $200: It’s official!

WWDC two days later!

Good luck with that, Palm!

Signature

• Posted: 19 May 2009 01:42 PM #2

Palm haven’t got the resources to match an iPhone launch, and they may well be grateful for attention to focus elsewhere while they resolve the issues that are sure to occur. Perhaps it’s not a silly decision after all.

Posted: 19 May 2009 03:19 PM #3

Anyone else suspect, as I do, that Apple will bring patten suits against the Pre when the phone hits the street?

Signature

ldrhawke

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups or of Hedge Funds that Naked Short Sell aapl

• Posted: 19 May 2009 04:05 PM #4

artman1033 - 19 May 2009 06:25 PM

Palm Pre Release Date 6/6

I AM CONFUSED!

If 6/6 is the pre release date, when is the actual release date?

Hardy Ha!

Signature

Posted: 19 May 2009 05:54 PM #5

Guys don’t pooh pooh this one. Seriously.

The BUZZFACTOR is off the charts on the non-iPhone sites, I suspect there will be those oh so familiar LONG LINES that the media will LOVE to cover, to prove that they are not Apple biased.

The form factor is right, the combo unit is DEAD RIGHT for those that want keys, and there are some wizbang things that Cupertino just never thought of too. Like a MAGNETIC INDUCTIVE CHARGING CRADLE and multitasking in VERSION ONE, along with full integration with other systems in VERSION ONE.

I suspect this unit will be a smashing success, IF there are no unforseen problems, AND remember, there are most likely two more models coming in the pipeline, sans keyboard, and wifi that work great with the brand new OS that seems to be the only real rival for miniOSX

I still think Apple will win BIG, but hey, you can make a LOT OF MONEY with number two that USED TO BE number ZERO a few months ago also.

Is this COOL or what?

Just lay the unit on top of the charger, and without any direct wires you get a refill!

One of the cool things that immediately had me hooked when they announced the Palm Pre was its ?Touchstone? wireless charger. Put simply, you didn?t even need to plug it in to charge it, you just stuck it on top of the Touchstone dock, and it would use clever inductive charging to actually pump juice into your phone wirelessly.

If, as visionary author Arthur C. Clarke said, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, then the Palm Touchstone charger is Gandalf. Or, at the very least, Mustrum Ridcully?

However, it seems that wireless charger might not be the only bit of wizardry on the drawing boards at Palm, according to PreThinking. It?s been let slip by Palm themselves that the wireless charger is only the first in the Touchstone series of accessories for the Palm Pre, and that others are on the way.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 19 May 2009 06:33 PM #6

TanToday - 19 May 2009 08:54 PM

Guys don’t pooh pooh this one. Seriously.

The BUZZFACTOR is off the charts on the non-iPhone sites, I suspect there will be those oh so familiar LONG LINES that the media will LOVE to cover, to prove that they are not Apple biased.

The form factor is right, the combo unit is DEAD RIGHT for those that want keys, and there are some wizbang things that Cupertino just never thought of too. Like a MAGNETIC INDUCTIVE CHARGING CRADLE and multitasking in VERSION ONE, along with full integration with other systems in VERSION ONE.

I suspect this unit will be a smashing success, IF there are no unforseen problems, AND remember, there are most likely two more models coming in the pipeline, sans keyboard, and wifi that work great with the brand new OS that seems to be the only real rival for miniOSX

I still think Apple will win BIG, but hey, you can make a LOT OF MONEY with number two that USED TO BE number ZERO a few months ago also.

Is this COOL or what?

Just lay the unit on top of the charger, and without any direct wires you get a refill!

There are several issues outstanding.

Firstly it hasn’t actually been properly reviewed. Secondly however cool it might be it is still running web apps - Apple was absolutely slaughtered when they did the same with the rev one iPhone. The charger while cool in a geek kind of way ain’t going to be cool in terms of green. You are not telling me that charging by induction is going to be more eco friendly than charging with a cable. Charge a pre kill TWO polar bears.

The Buzzfactor was huge for the Storm until people actually got their hands on one. When they discovered it was buggy and pretty horrible all round. So bad in fact that BB are desperately struggling to release STORM 2 before Apple gets out the 3rd generation of the iPhone.

I have also seen some reports as to the balance of the thing. When the keyboard is out it appears to be slightly unbalanced and ripe for falling from the hands.

But hey, no one has one yet, lets see what people think when they get them in their hands. Apparently Palm have got 500,000 for the release day.

Signature

Posted: 19 May 2009 06:46 PM #7

... there are some wizbang things that Cupertino just never thought of too. Like a MAGNETIC INDUCTIVE CHARGING CRADLE ...

Is it practical to build this technology into a speaker system?  If this is the only way to charge Pre, it would severely limit the accessory market.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 19 May 2009 07:57 PM #8

Curious how you charge one in a car…

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 19 May 2009 08:45 PM #9

Mace - 19 May 2009 09:46 PM

... there are some wizbang things that Cupertino just never thought of too. Like a MAGNETIC INDUCTIVE CHARGING CRADLE ...

Is it practical to build this technology into a speaker system?  If this is the only way to charge Pre, it would severely limit the accessory market.

It’s the optional charging unit. An extra $69 I believe.

• Posted: 20 May 2009 12:53 AM #10

It still has a cable…,one that plugs into a wall.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 20 May 2009 01:33 AM #11

Apple got hammered about going with an exclusive contract with the largest cell phone carrier in the US.

How to think about Palm going with an exclusive with the #3 carrier that is losing customers at a fast clip?

In other news: the iPhone is successful because people love the product and so do developers.  Although the Pre is being designed by ex apple employees, it is not a known quantity, from either the hardware or software side.  But best of luck.
    I hope no one labels it as an iPhone killer.  That is certainly a death knell for any product…..  Perhaps it will be a visionary new product with a chicklet keyboard more than 2 years after the iPhone was delivered that does-I’m sorry I lost my train of thought- does what better than the iPhone?  Inductive charging? Hmmm. 

As a side note: at a big opening where a writer friend was showing off his images from India, Thailand and other places on his iPhone it occurred to me: people with iPhones say- hey, look at this on my iPhone.  I don’t think this happens nearly so much with Blackberries (and whatever other widget you might have).  What’s up with that?  Perhaps quite a lot.

Bring on the Pre.

And the next the third iteration of the iPhone.

Posted: 20 May 2009 08:32 AM #12

rattyuk - 19 May 2009 09:33 PM

The charger while cool in a geek kind of way ain’t going to be cool in terms of green. You are not telling me that charging by induction is going to be more eco friendly than charging with a cable. Charge a pre kill TWO polar bears.

All the more reason to want one, FIGHT THE GREENIES, the people that want YOU to suffer, as THEY jet around the world to ECO-CONFERENCES!

The Buzzfactor was huge for the Storm until people actually got their hands on one. When they discovered it was buggy and pretty horrible all round. So bad in fact that BB are desperately struggling to release STORM 2 before Apple gets out the 3rd generation of the iPhone.

And what happened to the RIMM stock price in the last 1/2 year? It doubled. I would be satisfied for that return on my Palm.

I have also seen some reports as to the balance of the thing. When the keyboard is out it appears to be slightly unbalanced and ripe for falling from the hands.

But hey, no one has one yet, lets see what people think when they get them in their hands. Apparently Palm have got 500,000 for the release day.

Hey guys, I don’t think PALM is gonna win this race, I see this as MUCH MORE a threat long term to RIMM than AAPL, but for the short term, it is a very nice “play” in the exploding Smartphone thing that THIS SUMMER is shaping up to be the only electronics playground.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 20 May 2009 08:37 AM #13

TanToday - 20 May 2009 11:32 AM

And what happened to the RIMM stock price in the last 1/2 year? It doubled. I would be satisfied for that return on my Palm.

Not because of the Storm, mostly because they are shipping so many units and beating the iPhone by - GIVING PHONES AWAY!

Signature

Posted: 20 May 2009 08:43 AM #14

One of the cool things that immediately had me hooked when they announced the Palm Pre was its ?Touchstone? wireless charger. Put simply, you didn?t even need to plug it in to charge it, you just stuck it on top of the Touchstone dock, and it would use clever inductive charging to actually pump juice into your phone wirelessly.

If, as visionary author Arthur C. Clarke said, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, then the Palm Touchstone charger is Gandalf. Or, at the very least, Mustrum Ridcully?

However, it seems that wireless charger might not be the only bit of wizardry on the drawing boards at Palm, according to PreThinking. It?s been let slip by Palm themselves that the wireless charger is only the first in the Touchstone series of accessories for the Palm Pre, and that others are on the way.

Funny thing is they stole the idea from Apple. 

The August 9, 2005 filing is credited to Apple employees Steve Hotelling and Gus Pabon.    AppleInsider

In a patent filing covering docking apparatuses published by the United States Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday, the Cupertino-based iPod maker lays out several new methods for contact-based docking methods that employ electrical contacts to transfer data and/or power between a handheld device and a docking station that lay in contact with each other.

Of greater interest, however, is the company’s discussion of “non-contact based platforms” such as inductive devices, optical devices, or wireless devices that are capable of transferring data and/or power without mating contact.

Posted: 20 May 2009 09:12 AM #15

TanToday - 20 May 2009 11:32 AM
    rattyuk - 19 May 2009 09:33 PM

The charger while cool in a geek kind of way ain’t going to be cool in terms of green. You are not telling me that charging by induction is going to be more eco friendly than charging with a cable. Charge a pre kill TWO polar bears.

All the more reason to want one, FIGHT THE GREENIES, the people that want YOU to suffer, as THEY jet around the world to ECO-CONFERENCES!

Ok, so I guess they’re supposed to swim across the ocean to get to those??? HA! You’ve made so many right turns, you’re going in a circle.

Palm has gone from $1.50 to $12+ in 6 months on this news alone. Talk about overbought! I’m taking a short position on it in the very near future. AAPL > PALM = the ultimate pairs trade IMO.