Palm Pre Release Date 6/6

Posted: 21 May 2009 02:48 PM #31

TanToday - 21 May 2009 05:38 PM

MY real thoughts are…..

IF this one gets the OOHS and AAAHs going right, and there is EVERY indication it will…..

... the cash rich, software deficients will be pumped and primed for a takeover bid.

And THAT will necessitate a premium of 50% or more, I would imagine.

In one fell swoop, you have a PLATFORM to port over to your lines, and you are back in the game against AAPL, with a VERY comparable product with LEGROOM to grow.

You’re a genius if you’ve told us in Jan.  Beware of sell the news.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 21 May 2009 02:52 PM #32

Mace - 21 May 2009 05:48 PM
    TanToday - 21 May 2009 05:38 PM

MY real thoughts are…..

IF this one gets the OOHS and AAAHs going right, and there is EVERY indication it will…..

... the cash rich, software deficients will be pumped and primed for a takeover bid.

And THAT will necessitate a premium of 50% or more, I would imagine.

In one fell swoop, you have a PLATFORM to port over to your lines, and you are back in the game against AAPL, with a VERY comparable product with LEGROOM to grow.

Yes, I have a backward-looking crystal ball…what I REALLY need is a FORWARD looking one!  :wink:  LOL

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

Posted: 21 May 2009 03:25 PM #33

Mace - 21 May 2009 05:48 PM

Isn’t that GREAT!?

My rearview mirror has a 100% success rate!

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 21 May 2009 03:52 PM #34

Build a new chart for the end of June and we will see how everything looks after the Iphone release.  The PRE has some great technology but their lack of cash will kill them.  If they sell all the 200K they are building and run out will people wait for the next shipment or say screw it I’ll just get an Iphone.  The Iphone was building 800K units per week at launch and still were supply constrained.  The run since Jan is great, but if you missed the first week of the PRE announcement then the gain is much less impressive.

• Posted: 21 May 2009 04:29 PM #35

Boy Genius are reporting that Best Buy are only getting 4 phones per store for the Pre Launch.

Was going to post a link but was told that “Blacklisted link not allowed”.

Signature

Posted: 22 May 2009 09:05 PM #36

Wow! We’ve hit the motherload!  Engadget seems to have gotten ahold of the above photo indicating many popular companies that plan to have WebOS applications “available at or near launch.”

Pandora, Electronic Arts, SGN, Craig’s List, Sling Media, DirectTV, Facebook, MySpace, Match.com, Loopt, Twitter, City Search, Zagat, Fandango, Movietickets.com, Lonely Planet, FlightView, NYTimes, AP Mobile, ESPN, Handmark Stocks, Bank of America, Intuit, Epocrates, WebMD, Salesforce.com, Austin Lane, DataViz, Mark/Space

Pandora we’re well aware of having WebOS aspirations.  Their application was highlighted both at CES and CTIA. We’ve known about Facebook’s deep integration as well as its full fledged Facebook app for a while now and Fandango’s touted application is very looked forward too.  Meanwhile, we’ve always had our rumours and side comments hinting at DataViz’s DocumentsToGo, and a WebOS version of Epocrates.  I guess this helps to further enforce those rumours.

Electronic Arts could bring some interesting games to the platform.  Craig’s List and Match.com seem a bit odd, but to each their own. MySpace integration could be an interesting development, challenging Facebook’s WebOS monopoly. And certainly, many will like that Twitter is making their own app and that Mark/Space is mentioned, given they’re the well-known creators of The Missing Sync.

One particularily odd mention, is that of Sling Media.  They’ve previously said they wouldn’t be developing for the WebOS until the OS proves itself (interestingly the particular post where they say that has since been removed).  Looks like their philosophy has changed and they’ll have an app ready at or near launch.

Personally, I’m quite excited!

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 26 May 2009 09:54 AM #37

Engadet has published a copy of the PRE launch manual

Palm Pre

Let the fireworks begin :-D

Posted: 26 May 2009 10:15 AM #38

pats - 26 May 2009 12:54 PM

Palm Pre

pg 10:  “Exclusive NASCAR content. ”  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 26 May 2009 10:34 AM #39

Play Ultimate - 26 May 2009 01:15 PM
    pats - 26 May 2009 12:54 PM

Palm Pre

pg 10:  “Exclusive NASCAR content. ”  rolleyes

ROTFL I saw that…now THAT’s a threat!  tongue laugh tongue laugh

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:01 AM #40

Signature

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:03 AM #41

I did some checking, and it seems that CDMA can not handle voice and data at the same time. If this is really true, don’t check your email while you’re expecting an important call.

I’m hoping that Palm has figured some way around this CDMA issue.

• Posted: 26 May 2009 11:15 AM #42

CdnPhoto - 26 May 2009 02:03 PM

I did some checking, and it seems that CDMA can not handle voice and data at the same time. If this is really true, don’t check your email while you’re expecting an important call.

So you are suggesting that the Palm Pre has multitasking save from the most important use of which is to use the “computer” and receive a call at the same time?

Signature

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:19 AM #43

rattyuk - 26 May 2009 02:15 PM

So you are suggesting that the Palm Pre has multitasking save from the most important use of which is to use the “computer” and receive a call at the same time?

That might just be correct. We’ll have to wait until the unit is reviewed to see how they handle the limitation of CDMA data and voice.

Posted: 26 May 2009 11:21 AM #44

The reason why the U.S. version of the Pre is affected this way is due to the EVDO network that Sprint uses in the U.S. - it doesn’t normally run data and voice simultaneously.
    For a detailed discussion
      PreCentral