AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 28 May 2009 02:17 PM #91

Nice short-covering pop.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 28 May 2009 02:25 PM #92

Mace - 28 May 2009 05:08 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 28 May 2009 04:57 PM
    Mace - 28 May 2009 04:30 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 28 May 2009 04:09 PM

... I see a textbook sector recovery and for this reason I’m overweight in the financials. As financials move upward, I’ll siphon monies off: A fixed portion will go straight to fixed, some toward toward operation expenses and the rest will rotate into more exposure in tech, consumer goods, industry and so on. And I’ll do this with each sector over and over again ...

Doesn’t feel like textbook recovery since energy and metal stocks are going up fast.  They are supposed to be late bull stocks.

They’re running up as a function of a falling dollar and nothing prohibits us from having early energy exposure.

I’ve tiptoed into OXY, good idea?

I went back into USO this morning and I told chartguy that I’d take a look at a basket of domestic energy companies he’s picked out later on. Tim’s thesis is that we’ll see a pop in oil and nat gas but because index energy funds also hold the monster companies that don’t move much up or down, he wants exposure to what appears to me as energy companies with a cap of 20B or less.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 28 May 2009 02:41 PM #93

Eric Landstrom - 28 May 2009 05:25 PM

I went back into USO this morning and I told chartguy that I’d take a look at a basket of domestic energy companies he’s picked out later on. Tim’s thesis is that we’ll see a pop in oil and nat gas but because index energy funds also hold the monster companies that don’t move much up or down, he wants exposure to what appears to me as energy companies with a cap of 20B or less.

Interesting you bring this up, Mace. I put together a list the other day that includes: APA, EOG, OXY, CHK, RRC, XTO, SWN, DVN, SLB. Not necessarily definitive, but a start. Still doing research, and still trying to determine entry points.

• Posted: 28 May 2009 03:05 PM #94

RIMM, come to Daddy, you bloated pig! Come on I want to see $80 - loading up the boat with puts!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 28 May 2009 04:34 PM #95

Just rumours, but matches what Woz stated the other day:

http://gizmodo.com/5272090/steve-jobs-returns-to-apple-campus-sources-say

If true, this is great news: According to setteB.IT, a good-looking Steve Jobs was spotted yesterday at Apple’s Cupertino campus by “more than one source.” There are no details, but I want to believe.

• Posted: 28 May 2009 04:43 PM #96

artman1033 - 28 May 2009 04:38 PM

My main concern is over the future of the car salesmen.

What will they go into next?

Solar panels?

Microsoft PC evangelists - “Hey, they’re cheap!”

Signature

• Posted: 28 May 2009 05:06 PM #97

chartguy - 28 May 2009 05:41 PM

Interesting you bring this up, Mace. I put together a list the other day that includes: APA, EOG, OXY, CHK, RRC, XTO, SWN, DVN, SLB. Not necessarily definitive, but a start. Still doing research, and still trying to determine entry points.

IMO, I think oil will start to pull back around 65. Obama is not going to let oil speculators jack up his recovery plan, even if it means letting a little oil out of the reserves.

just my 2 cents

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

• Posted: 28 May 2009 05:24 PM #98

Plato - 28 May 2009 06:05 PM

RIMM, come to Daddy, you bloated pig! Come on I want to see $80 - loading up the boat with puts!

Haha.  I’m tempted myself.  RIMM is fat, happy, and ready for slaughter.

• Posted: 28 May 2009 05:29 PM #99

Mercel - 28 May 2009 08:24 PM

Be careful - it closed above 80 near the HOD. DELL reported better EPS than expected (although on lower revenue) and is up in AH.

We could have a follow through rally tomorrow. I am sure RIMM will pull back, but we could see 85 first. I hedged my short and bought some calls after I realized that RIMM will close above 80 with not much resistance.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 28 May 2009 06:20 PM #100

Per the RIMM chart I posted last night, the very bottom tail of the candle above the gap/resistance (9/18/08) that has now been breached is $87.53. You can see it for your self a few pages back in this thread or put up a 9-month daily chart. will be interesting to see if that’s the next target before this pig blows up. GL Plato and all who are shorting this one.

I sold and then reloaded on FAZ and SDS today.

I really think AAPL is just doing the traditional ramp-and-then-break-your-heart run it does before any event. GL to all who are holding long on AAPL through WWDC!

I’ve chuckled these past few weeks as I feel like a character in the movie, The Village. The blind girl that is sent out into the woods to find medicine in the outside world. Now I’m bringing the medicine back…  :wink:

I won’t keep posting about what I’m learnin’ out there in the woods though, if it’s not wanted! AFB is definately it’s own peaceful world.

Protect those profits!
    -Kiwi

Posted: 28 May 2009 06:21 PM #101

litespeed - 28 May 2009 08:06 PM
    chartguy - 28 May 2009 05:41 PM

IMO, I think oil will start to pull back around 65. Obama is not going to let oil speculators jack up his recovery plan, even if it means letting a little oil out of the reserves.

just my 2 cents

I can’t speak for Eric, but I’m looking for a pullback before setting this position. At that point it likely would become a core holding for covered call writing within whatever range is established. FWIW, I find it interesting that our CIC is visiting Saudi Arabia and SecTreas is visiting China. Read into that what you will with regard to the USD, t-bill purchases and the price of oil.

On a related note, a strong argument can be made for oil below $40/bbl based on long-term trendlines. How much this may have changed, however, as a result of increased consumption by China and India (in particular) is open to discussion. I also am aware that the US will be making a push for green tech. The problem here is that renewable energy is quite inefficient compared to the infernal combustion engine, has its own set of problems (wind and solar) and is much less transportable than gasoline in terms of BTU/volume. In other words, I don’t see the world abandoning oil anytime soon.

Posted: 28 May 2009 06:25 PM #102

Plato - 28 May 2009 08:29 PM
    Mercel - 28 May 2009 08:24 PM

Be careful - it closed above 80 near the HOD. DELL reported better EPS than expected (although on lower revenue) and is up in AH.

We could have a follow through rally tomorrow. I am sure RIMM will pull back, but we could see 85 first. I hedged my short and bought some calls after I realized that RIMM will close above 80 with not much resistance.

Sometimes I wonder what is your returns after shorting RIMM, hedged by buying calls, hedged calls by long puts, etc.  So complicated.  Brokerage firms would be happy though.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 28 May 2009 06:47 PM #103

kiwitrader - 28 May 2009 09:20 PM

I’ve chuckled these past few weeks as I feel like a character in the movie, The Village. The blind girl that is sent out into the woods to find medicine in the outside world. Now I’m bringing the medicine back…  :wink:
    -Kiwi

You may be one of the five people who saw that movie.  Village of the Damned may prove more educational for swing traders. All those blond kids have grown up to manage hedge funds.

Posted: 28 May 2009 07:04 PM #104

willrob - 28 May 2009 09:47 PM

Village of the Damned may prove more educational for swing traders. All those blond kids have grown up to manage hedge funds.

tongue laugh My little hedge fund manager:

• Posted: 28 May 2009 09:46 PM #105

Eric Landstrom - 28 May 2009 04:09 PM

What this means is that I see a textbook sector recovery and for this reason I’m overweight in the financials. As financials move upward, I’ll siphon monies off: A fixed portion will go straight to fixed, some toward toward operation expenses and the rest will rotate into more exposure in tech, consumer goods, industry and so on. And I’ll do this with each sector over and over again.

I have a plan.

Eric-What percentage of total investment would you recommend in financials in anticipation of textbook sector recovery?  Which financials?  I see you are in BAC.  What about c, wfc?  Thanks.