Monitor and Graphics (New Mac Pro)

• Posted: 27 May 2009 01:42 PM

Good Morning All,

I am in the process of purchasing a new Mac Pro (2.26ghz 8-core) to replace my Dual Processor Mac Pro 2ghz.  My goal is to consolidate from 2-PC’s and 1-Mac to just one Mac Pro that will do everything.  I am looking for advice on which graphics card and monitors I should go with.
    Graphics Cards
    A. 2-NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
    B. 1-ATI Radeon HD 4870 (leaning this way)
    Monitor Option
    A. Keep my existing 3 year old Apple 23” Cinema Displays
    B. Upgrade to 2-24” Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP

Primarily I do photography and Photoshop editing with my computer, as well as running a Media Server.  I would like to use the Mac for some PC gaming as well.

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.  I am looking to purchase in the next week or two.

Joe

Signature

Once you’ve said Mac, you’ve said it all!!

Posted: 29 May 2009 01:11 AM #1

If you are not going to be doing any video, than either card will be fine. Gaming wise I would go with the NVIDIA.

If you were going to be doing video (mainly Final Cut Studio) would direct you towards the AMD ATI, as you get much better results from rendering FCS with AMD ATI than NVIDIA. The AMD ATI is streamlined for video production processing.

As it stands, don’t worry about the card for your stated purposes. Any will do.

As for monitor you should be able to get just one 24” and still use your Apple 23” just fine. Apple does make some mighty fine monitors with some great clarity of color. (although the 23” line has a bit of an issue with burn-in. I am having mine replaced next week)

Dell, surprisingly, makes quite good monitors.

Really, at this point for what you have told us, it is a personal preference choice. If you want symmetry of monitor sizes then you would get the Dual Dells. If you don’t mind one bigger than the other, you would get an Apple-N-Dell.

Nothing really rock solid in way of advice except on video cards.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.