D7

• Posted: 28 May 2009 12:25 AM

I am trying to read as many of the D7 interviews as I can fit in.  Investors in AAPL will not want to miss this one with Rim’s Co-CEO.  Most is well known or useless babble, but his comment on expectations for comparing the wireless experience to the wired are interesting.  Separately, it sounds like they are committed to continuing to manufacture in Ontario.

I have mentioned before that I see Apple as having less trouble with scalability than Rim.  Seems to be on his mind.  I am interested to watch whether this becomes an issue for us.  So far so good.

• Posted: 28 May 2009 07:22 AM #1

capablanca - 28 May 2009 03:25 AM

I am trying to read as many of the D7 interviews as I can fit in.  Investors in AAPL will not want to miss this one with Rim’s Co-CEO.  Most is well known or useless babble, but his comment on expectations for comparing the wireless experience to the wired are interesting.  Separately, it sounds like they are committed to continuing to manufacture in Ontario.

I have mentioned before that I see Apple as having less trouble with scalability than Rim.  Seems to be on his mind.  I am interested to watch whether this becomes an issue for us.  So far so good.

I think the theme this year is:

“There’s an App for that”

Which I find ironic as everyone apart from Apple is getting their 10 minutes in the sun.

Signature

Posted: 28 May 2009 04:51 PM #2

D7 Highlights
    D7 Interview: Jon Rubinstein and Roger McNamee and the Palm Pre
    Published on May 28, 2009
    by John Paczkowski

What a wonderful curative the Palm Pre has proven to be for Palm. Especially for a device that?s not yet shipped. In early January of this year, the company?s shares were trading below $3, having been dragged deep into the mud by a string of nasty quarterly losses. Five months later, after the Pre?s announcement at CES, they?re trading at over $10.

And Jon Rubinstein and Roger McNamee are largely responsible for that. Rubinstein is an Apple (AAPL) veteran who?s now Palm?s (PALM) executive chairman. And McNamee, managing director of Elevation Partners, is the guy who recruited him for that position. Together, they?re remaking Palm in a bet-the-company move to recover its long-lost glory. Should be an interesting session.

A couple pieces of Palm-related breaking news before we begin. Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam this morning said the company intends to sell the Pre about six months from now. Also, the Pre will reportedly sync with iTunes.

Session is prefaced by video of a faux-advertising shoot in which McNamee makes increasingly preposterous claims about the Palm Pre over Rubenstein?s protestations. It?s funny as hell and not all that far off from reality if you know the company?s recent history. McNamee, as you may recall, made some silly claims about the Pre?s prowess in a March interview with Bloomberg ? so silly that Palm was forced to file a Free Writing Prospectus with the SEC refuting them. So to hear McNamee boast that the Pre is the only handset based on alien technology ? well, I wouldn?t be surprised to read that in Bloomberg tomorrow.

While the audience is still chuckling, Walt and Kara welcome Rubinstein and McNamee to the stage.
    Walt kicks things off noting Palm?s history of developing breakthrough devices, and asking how the company?s doing now. McNamee and Rubenstein says Palm took the cultural legacy that created the Palm and the Treo and applied it to the smartphone. ?Palm is a new company today,? says Rubenstein.
    Walt asks McNamee about his claim that all iPhone owner

What?s the depth of Elevation?s involvement in Palm. Pretty deep. McNamee says the because the opportunity at the company is so huge he spends a lot of time on it. He notes that leaders in the smartphone market leader ? Palm and RIM ? each have very small market share. That means there?s a great opportunity for Palm to join them.

Kara asks how Rubenstein came to Palm. He says it was a compelling idea to take something that needed to be turned around and rebuild it. ?It?s so rare to be able to start with a blank sheet of paper and start over. And we were given a blank sheet of paper with the device and the OS.?
    What lessons from Apple has Rubenstein brought to bear on his new work at Palm? ?I worked with Steve for many years and learned a tremendous amount from him, the value of user experience and design ? taste. I also learned the idea of great marketing. ? On the engineering side, I helped created the engineering culture at Apple so obviously, the engineering culture at Palm bears some similarities to it.?

On to the demo. Discussing the idea of synergy ? managing information across applications and multitasking. Multiple apps can be run at the same time. Not an infinite number, Walt notes, nut quite a few.

On to media. MP3 player includes onboard support for Amazon?s MP3 Store. Files are downloaded directly over the air to the device. Very slick.

Plug the Pre into a PC and you?re offered the option of using the device as a USB drive, charging it or beginning a ?media sync.? Interesting, using media sync the Pre does indeed sync with iTunes, though it?s hamstrung by Apple?s DRM protected songs. Can?t imagine Apple?s too happy about that. Presumably, Apple legal is already drafting a letter. Pre appears to make iTunes think it?s an iPod.
    How is Apple going to feel about that, asks Walt. Rubenstein dodges a bit noting that there are a variety of ways of getting music out of iTunes. Walt pushes back pointing out that this is the first non-Apple device that is recognized as an Apple device by a Mac. Rubenstein dodges again. McNamee jumps in, refers to Apple as a monopolist and says people should be able to use music that they purchase in what ever way they see fit.

Media sync feature also works with iPhoto and syncs photos to the Pre. That?s not likely to go over well at Apple either.

Moving on now to WebOS, Palm?s new operating system. Key feature is the Web App Catalog, Palm?s analog to Apple?s App store. Palm will have just a dozen or so apps in the store when the Pre launches next week. Kara jokes that Palm should simply port all the apps in the Apple?s App Store over to its own store.

Demoing a download of Fandango. Tap to download. App is downloaded over the air. Apps do not sync with iTunes, they?re stored on the device.

Fandango on the Pre looks and works pretty much like it does on the iPhone and the BlackBerry. It does have an interesting additional feature or two. A simple gesture adds a movie time to the calendar. Tap the screen and the Pre?s calendar ingests info from Fandango. Pretty elegant integration with the Pre?s core applications.

Moving on to universal search. Very slick and something the iPhone clacks. Search for D7 on the Pre device yields no results, but the user is offered the option of searching Google, Twitter etc for the same query. Twitter search reveals the following Tweet about iTunes syncing: ?Apple may not like this, but it?s damn cool.?

Ya gotta watch the VIDEO, it is great!

HERE:-> http://d7.allthingsd.com/20090528/d7-interview-jon-rubinstein-and-roger-mcnamee-and-the-palm-pre/

[ Edited: 28 May 2009 04:55 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 28 May 2009 04:58 PM #3

TanToday - 28 May 2009 07:51 PM

“Walt pushes back pointing out that this is the first non-Apple device that is recognized as an Apple device by a Mac. Rubenstein dodges again. McNamee jumps in, refers to Apple as a monopolist and says people should be able to use music that they purchase in what ever way they see fit.

Pretty telling in my view. He’s playing to the freetards.

Signature

Posted: 28 May 2009 05:35 PM #4

Yep, they are called the media.

Hasn’t anyone sent you the memo yet?

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 28 May 2009 05:42 PM #5

TanToday - 28 May 2009 08:35 PM

Yep, they are called the media.

Hasn’t anyone sent you the memo yet?

Duck, I was referring to the slightly mad Roger from Elevation Partners. Who seems to be making a name for himself mouthing off. “McNamee jumps in, refers to Apple as a monopolist and says people should be able to use music that they purchase in what ever way they see fit.” Says it all.

Yes it is perfectly acceptable to use your music in any way you see fit.

It is not, in my humble opinion, ok to just steal the competitions delivery system and use it as your own.

Trade theft. I would think at the very minimum.

All this is doing is hitting talking points - watch what happens next week when Apple disables this function.

Signature

• Posted: 28 May 2009 06:34 PM #6

Here’s Uncle Walt’s view of the Pre, and Apple as the tip of the spear of the new platform, and even Steve jobs return.

video

Posted: 28 May 2009 08:18 PM #7

Two points:

1.  Pre is cool.  Integrating best of BlackBerry and iPhone into one product.

2.  Apple should license FairPlay and use of iTunes to Palm.  I would be surprised if Jon has not talked to Apple about this.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 28 May 2009 10:15 PM #8

Mace - 28 May 2009 11:18 PM

Two points:

1.  Pre is cool.  Integrating best of BlackBerry and iPhone into one product.

2.  Apple should license FairPlay and use of iTunes to Palm.  I would be surprised if Jon has not talked to Apple about this.

According to todays news, the Pre is recognized by iTunes (on both platforms) just like an iPod. The limitation is no older drm protected content can be put on it.

• Posted: 29 May 2009 12:33 AM #9

willrob - 28 May 2009 09:34 PM

Here’s Uncle Walt’s view of the Pre, and Apple as the tip of the spear of the new platform, and even Steve jobs return.

video

Thanks.  This qualifies as a “don’t miss it” interview.