Microsoft Bing - another waste of time?

Posted: 29 May 2009 06:31 AM

Bing
    Is this new effort from Microsoft another waste of time or could it be a good thing?
    After Zune, Vista etc., i am a little sceptical.

Ballmer is saying that search could do with a “good feature war”. Should Google be worried?

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/05/28/bing-microsoft-prepares-for-war-with-a-revamped-search-engine-screenshots/

• Posted: 29 May 2009 10:12 AM #1

Does it mean they’ve abandoned plans to “acquire” Yahoo?

Posted: 29 May 2009 07:09 PM #2

I watched the demo and thought it was well laid out.  I am not so tied to goggle search and was impressed how Bing prioritized the hits.  Like giving the real site if one existed top billing.  Will have to test once it is available to the public

• Posted: 30 May 2009 10:50 AM #3

pats - 29 May 2009 10:09 PM

I watched the demo and thought it was well laid out.  I am not so tied to goggle search and was impressed how Bing prioritized the hits.  Like giving the real site if one existed top billing.  Will have to test once it is available to the public

People are not tied to search, nor do they test the accuracy or “goodness” of searches.  And THAT is why I’ve long held that MS Marketing needed to do something like this. 

Aside from Google’s toolbar and gmail, search engines are more commodity than not.  Typing BING.COM is really all that stands in the way of MS capturing market share.

• Posted: 30 May 2009 02:22 PM #4

Another search engine was demonstrated at D7. Siri is for the iPhone only, I believe.

• Posted: 27 February 2010 10:38 PM #5

artman1033 - 27 February 2010 10:21 PM

HERE’s a BING AD by Mr.Softie.

They finally have a GREAT one!

I like it.  Stuff like this will win share for BING, which has a superior UI over Google.  I’m not a cheerleader for MSFT by any stretch, but it’s easy to root for the home team when the product is this good.

• Posted: 28 February 2010 10:56 PM #6

I still use Google on my iPhone.  But I have switched to Bing on my iMac.  Not only do I judge it superior, but Google is getting too big for its britches.

• Posted: 28 February 2010 11:06 PM #7

capablanca - 01 March 2010 02:56 AM

I still use Google on my iPhone.  But I have switched to Bing on my iMac.  Not only do I judge it superior, but Google is getting too big for its britches.

Plus, Google is lead by Eric Schmidt…