Palm Pre Review

• Posted: 29 May 2009 03:59 PM

The folks over at Boy Genius have what may be the firt review of the new phone.

Once the initial Pre launch is over and done with and all the hype, smoke and mirrors are clear though, we can see Palm being pretty successful moving forward. Hell, Palm has converted tons of people into raging Pre fanboys before they could even see the phone in person! Very Apple-esque. More carriers will get the Pre, more handsets will be released and WebOS could very well keep things interesting even if the hardware is lacking.

• Posted: 29 May 2009 08:58 PM #1

I hope it gets great reviews. Apple needs a little competition to keep the iPhone from getting stale. If rumors are true, the next gen iPhone seems a little meh. Maybe a big interest in the Pre will help Apple be a little more proactive in it’s innovating over the next couple of generations.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

• Posted: 29 May 2009 11:43 PM #2

litespeed - 29 May 2009 11:58 PM

If rumors are true, the next gen iPhone seems a little meh.

Yep just like the iPhone was meh with all the rumors kicking about before it launched. Let’s stop speculating and hang on for a week and 2 days and let’s see what they have to offer RATHER than rely on rumor, speculation and innuendo. I understand you day traders need all this to earn your bucks but for the long term shareholders it gets a bit boring.

Signature

Posted: 30 May 2009 10:41 AM #3

I hope it gets great reviews. Apple needs a little competition to keep the iPhone from getting stale. If rumors are true, the next gen iPhone seems a little meh. Maybe a big interest in the Pre will help Apple be a little more proactive in it’s innovating over the next couple of generations.

Lightspeed what are you expecting from a Phone that the PRE provides and the Iphone does not?  A physical keyboard and multitasking are about the only two features anyone mentions where the PRE has a supposed advantage. As far as the keyboard  
    BGR had this to say

Keyboard:

It?s really not good. My hands aren?t that big (I can type faster than you could ever dream on a BlackBerry, iPhone or E71) and my thumb literally takes up 3 or 4 keys on the keyboard. There?s less space in between each key than say, a BlackBerry Curve 8300 keyboard, and the texture takes some time to get used to. It?s a rubberized coating kind of like the Centro and Treo Pro, and while the keys are a bit harder (better), the coating could possibly get irritating as usage increases. It?s really such an important area that couldn?t afford to be messed with and we?ll admit it? we?re a little let down. You?re going after the big guns here, and this is kind of disappointing.

You can?t compete with RIM in the keyboard area and you can?t compete with Apple in the soft-keyboard area, so how are people going to enjoy using your product when the data entry isn?t perfection? It?s like buying a brand new Ferrari, but getting an Accord steering wheel. It?s not the end of the world, but it isn?t greatness.

It feels good in your hand, but the actual build quality really leaves a lot to be desired. One of our friends that checked it out over here said it felt like a Fisher Price toy.

Synergy is so cool in itself. Well, the concept part of it. We haven?t linked everything together yet, but we?re not sure if Palm?s got the right approach. I mean, I?d like my Facebook contacts in a Facebook application, not in my main contacts app mixed with my Exchange and personal contacts. Obviously you can just not link Facebook, but the point is that centralizing data isn?t the end-all answer to our problems. It?s just that we have to create and manage them in a clean and organized manner.

One thing we didn?t tell you in our Hands On was that during our first photo session, the device completely reset. Like, wiped clean reset. We had to go through the entire setup process and get the phone up and running.

I know this is an early review but sounds like a meh to me.

• Posted: 30 May 2009 02:15 PM #4

Just the addition of video to the new iPhones lifts them well above the “meh” category. For those who already own an iPhone, the new OS is very exciting (at least for the features we can use). I’m tempted to geet a new phone, even through mine is less than a year old, for the video, higher quality camera, faster processor, faster 3G radio (to take advantage of the ATT updates) and all the new apps that will take advantage of the new hardware/software.

Posted: 30 May 2009 05:14 PM #5

Whatever he did, BoyG didn’t do A REVIEW….but a subjective play session.

He is being trashed big time for his slipshod rush job, and his biases.

For example:

On May 30, 2009 @ 8:21 am, WeakReview Said:

Im going to break this so called review down for BGR and everyone who thinks this was a good review. Im going to explain it in such a way that even the dummest ones can see through this bad reporting, misleading, biased of an review right down below.

Lets start this by making it clear that ?I couldn?t care less if this review was 100% glorifying palm pre, it still was a hands on PREVIEW, not a review.?

1. BGR don?t even know how to use universal search! The reason why it appeared to not search locally was cause BGR didn?t add any accounts to sync with.

2. Screen: ?we?d rate it just behind the iPhone?s glass capacitive touch screen ? it?s that close to being perfection? -BGR !!HOLD ON WAIT A MINUTE!! What BGR is saying is that apparently the iPhone screen is perfection and you cannot do anything better, ever! BIASED, ANYONE!?

3. In the comments BGR has revealed that ?Once we have a retail unit we were planning on revisiting everything.?. You just can?t make a review out of pre-final builds of products, bottom line.

4. The Review is mostly about opinions about the feels and looks + Everything BGR talks about the keyboard is subjective. It?s not Like BGR?s fingering is a standard. Is it?

5. How can you rate battery life when your ?review? unit only has 2 1/2 hours left?

6. They didnt mention anything about how the PHONE acts as a PHONE. Didnt try the camera. Couldnt play music. Wasnt able to multitask. Didnt compare the browser to the almighty iphone. etc etc etc.

As you can see from these six points, this simply cannot be called a review. There is so much more that is wrong in this review, but i just gave you the craziest.

Now one could ask why is BGR doing this. Traffic to ad revenue? Have some SEO help when they revisit pre and have sprint ads all over the site? This is the most interesting part to me. Obiviously we can see where BGR?s love is from point 2, but what are the real motivations for such shenanigans?

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 30 May 2009 05:29 PM #6

And your point is Tan?

Signature

Posted: 30 May 2009 06:05 PM #7

I don’t hold hands.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 30 May 2009 06:24 PM #8

I think the point is the first guy who touched it for real stopped gushing like it was the next big thing.  Was the writer biased?  Probably, but he wrote what he felt instead of saying he loved it like no tomorrow.  The PRE will be a great smart phone available for limited distribution on a single carrier in June.  The real competition will be demonstrated and available in June, and then a fair comparison will be made between the Iphone and the PRE.  Palm is on some kind of fantasy if they think a bunch of the folks using Iphones are going to throw them away so they can have a PRE.  The pocketbook does the talking.  I will be looking forward to quarterly sales numbers from Apple and Palm and I already know who will win in the first quarter of release.  All these sites which compare the PRE today to the original Iphone are missing it.  The Pre is competing against Iphone version 3 not 1 or 2.  The second question to ask as an investor is how much does Palm make on each sale.  The stock is already fully valued based on selling 8M this year so Palm needs a homerun to justify any future price growth.  Good luck to all I know which horse I will pick.

• Posted: 30 May 2009 06:30 PM #9

TanToday - 30 May 2009 09:05 PM

I don’t hold hands.

Good for you. Not asking for hand holding. Just want you to point out how this is relevant to Apple/iPhone for you know, the shareholders.

Cutting and pasting comments from an article is all well and good, especially when they point out that the review may be biased. But some of that comes across as point scoring.

So it has had a mostly positive review with some criticism but you wanna point out how the review is crap because the reviewer was biased by simply copying some fanboi criticisim. Cool well done. But it is only another take on the original review.

BoyGenius get their hands on a lot of phones if they say the keyboard is crap - I would have thought based on their experience they know what they are talking about. Also the issues with the build quality are relevant as this is going to be crucially important to the target market. As it will be their first experience with the OS.

The point is that Palm was a dead company. This may save them. BUT people are going to be shelling out the same price as an iPhone for this. They already seem to have reneged on the mail in rebate thing knowing that the customers just won’t take it. So the experience has to be good regardless because they are only going to get one crack at this.

The reviews will be coming thick and fast let’s see what others think. But the interview with Walt that was linked to earlier in the week gave me the impression that Walt also thought it was a good try but maybe good enough - but let’s see what he thinks when he releases his review.

Palm have a product coming out that may impact on the iPhone bottom line. It is appearing next week in limited quantity. The following Monday Apple come up to bat. We know what a lot of the 3.0 software is but certainly not all of it. We should know by then. At the moment it is too soon to call. And Smug cutting and pasting does nobody any favors.

Signature

Posted: 01 June 2009 08:51 AM #10

Tan is probably substantially long PALM so to me his opinion is just as biased. He’s pumping for a reason IMO.

Posted: 01 June 2009 09:16 AM #11

Long Palm

10X that amount long Apple

I seem them both as necessary, without the “Palm Pre’s” the HOT FIRES OF INNOVATION, burn less hot in Cupertino.

And Rubenstein, as one of the KEY GUYS behind the AAPL phenom, seems to be doing a “Steve Jobs” makeover at Palm, similar to that which was done at the fruit company, when they too were headed towards extinction.

Note the parallels:

1 - heads did roll

2 - narrowing of focus from many to few products

3 - a decision that the SOFTWARE needed to be the horse that pulled the hardware buggy

4 - style and design would be paramount { don’t knock the Pre, it is BETTER than the first efforts of the apples that were introduced in the immediate aftermath of Job’s return }

5 - Strategic partnerships needed to be implements, FAST, AAPL w/ MSFT for example

6 - Learn to use stealth and viral marketing, to make up for lack of media money, I believe that PALM has done more in a shorter time in this area, than anyone expected.

7 - get the outsourcing in Asia implemented and learn just in time LEAN inventories, check!

There are others, I don’t see this as a WINNER TAKE ALL thing, that would be bad, and frankly, is unsustainable over time, I see this developing into a healthy rivalry, where there is PLENTY of room for a small handful of innovated firms, all working different market segments.

And one can make money on MORE THAN ONE horse in this race, I intend on trying to.

{...with some VERY tight trailing stops, in case I’m dead wrong….of course! }

As with APPL, the value isn’t in the plastic or aluminum, but in the operating system, and the hype and as FAKE steve jobs said…

“...where EVERY product is washed with Unicorn Tears…”

To assure maximum value and price stability.

[ Edited: 01 June 2009 09:19 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

Posted: 01 June 2009 10:44 AM #12

TanToday - 01 June 2009 12:16 PM

... And Rubenstein, as one of the KEY GUYS behind the AAPL phenom, seems to be doing a “Steve Jobs” makeover at Palm ...

Closely watching this.  Palm’s performance could be a good tell on what might happen to post-SJ.  Since Apple has more resources and four legs, Palm’s failure doesn’t mean Apple would fail but Palm’s success is likely to mean Apple would prosper post-SJ.  I pray that Mr Rubenstein would be successful in revitalizing Palm.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 01 June 2009 01:44 PM #13

rattyuk - 30 May 2009 02:43 AM

If rumors are true, the next gen iPhone seems a little meh.

Yep just like the iPhone was meh with all the rumors kicking about before it launched. Let’s stop speculating and hang on for a week and 2 days and let’s see what they have to offer RATHER than rely on rumor, speculation and innuendo. I understand you day traders need all this to earn your bucks but for the long term shareholders it gets a bit boring.

Sorry ratty, has nothing to do with day trading. I still own first gen iPhone and I am waiting for something a little more than meh to get me to pay higher rates that AT&T charges for second and presumably third gen iPhone plans.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 01 June 2009 01:50 PM #14

Via TechCrunch

Deutsche Bank analyst Brian Modoff calculated the share of operating profits going to each major mobile handset manufacturer and came up with the eye-opening chart. It shows Apple (pink) and RIM (turquoise) increasingly taking a disproportionate share of industry profits, mostly at the expense of Nokia?s diminishing handset operating profits (blue).In a note, Modoff writes: ?Increasingly, the smartphone vendors are claiming more of the industry?s profit dollars even as the pool of profitability stabilizes or shrinks.? Thanks to the success of the highly-profitable iPhone, Apple?s share of industry operating profits went from 3 percent in 2007 to 20 percent in 2008 and will grow again to an estimated 31 percent in 2009. RIM, maker of the Blackberry, is doing even better, increasing its estimated share of industry profits from 8 percent (2007) to 19 percent (2008) to 35 percent (2009). So adding those two together, Apple and RIM are expected to account for an incredible 66 percent of industry profits this year.

Can you see Palm on the chart, the PRE need to do some serious heavy lifting for Palm

• Posted: 01 June 2009 02:11 PM #15

As reinforcement to much of the above and reminiscent of the early days of the iPod, even the naysayers are starting to come around.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/platforms/real-meaning-iphone-458

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!