Microsoft announce the death of AppleTV

• Posted: 02 June 2009 08:38 AM

I think yesterday’s announcements from Microsoft have probably killed off anything the Apple TV has to offer in the living room space. By making it a central part of the house there is little room for maneuver to produce a competing product. Microsoft have also basically used money from other sources to buy off every game creator to come and work for them, sometimes exclusively. So they are gradually cutting off all competition to the XBOX. So they have effectively created a new monopoly that will probably earn them tons of cash down the line. The new con of getting content providers to keep content from the games and then release it in part payments BUT ONLY FOR THE XBOX also drops the value of the competitors version of the games. Netflicks, Twitter (ugh!) and Facebook integration will constantly remind the not cool kids that they don’t have any in on this without owning the toy.

There are things about it I really hate though. Having to pay Microsoft a monthly fee is probably the worst. The fact it is a terribly designed bit of hardware probably following up closely behind.

There are still things to be said about having boxes for specific jobs but there is only one output device (the TV set) and you can’t really have more than one thing running at a time.

So here’s hoping something cool along these lines might come out next week from Apple to protect their “iPod for the television” but not being awfully optimistic for the future of the hobby.

Signature

Posted: 02 June 2009 08:26 PM #1

As an owner of both systems, I would take a wait and see attitude.  The 360 is a gaming rig which can do other things.  The #1 feature is gaming and in-game smack via XBOX Live.  The other stuff gets used by some, but personally I moved the 360 from the living room because it sounds like a tank.  I have never rented a movie or really used non-gaming features so maybe I’m not a good example, but my kids and I play games all the time and my family get together and party up for games regularly.  The biggest negative for the 360 is hardware.  In my family the 6 brothers who have 360’s have all returned them at least once and many are on their 3rd return so in my mind if I didn’t have a couple thousand invested in games I would look for better hardware.  That said instead of dumping and moving to the PS3, because of the social part of Live, we live with the crappy designed hardware and love the game play.  The Apple TV for me is used for three purposes:  I bought it to connect to my receiver to replace an Ipod which I docked via the Apple connector and also hoped to eliminate the trips to the video store.  The ATV does exactly what I wanted and have the added benefit of showing all your pictures whenever you want.  I know the 360 can perform the same functions, but I have never setup the 360 to serve media because it is PC centric (doesn’t work well with Mac).

• Posted: 03 June 2009 12:53 AM #2

No ship date announced - at least that I can find.

• Posted: 03 June 2009 07:58 AM #3

capablanca - 03 June 2009 03:53 AM

Yes, after two days the smoke and mirrors failed. Natal is just another “don’t look at what everyone else is doing, look over here shiny toy”. The winner of the living room is going to be the one who gets Hulu running first. Come on Boxee, you can do it.

Signature

Posted: 03 June 2009 09:58 PM #4

rattyuk - 03 June 2009 10:58 AM
    capablanca - 03 June 2009 03:53 AM

Yes, after two days the smoke and mirrors failed. Natal is just another “don’t look at what everyone else is doing, look over here shiny toy”. The winner of the living room is going to be the one who gets Hulu running first. Come on Boxee, you can do it.

I was running the boxee alpha with Hulu and it looked like crap on my screen.  The ATV hardware does not have the horsepower until they can tap into the GPU.  I quit using it once the Hulu ruckus came about, but until they can tap the GPU, Hulu is not a great experience on the ATV. Here is hoping for a hardware upgrade and a SDK from Apple at WWDC.