Can’t Touch iTunes Music-Keynote Quits

• Posted: 03 June 2009 06:33 PM

Greetings,
    I have all my Keynote work done in a 39 Page Slideshow and about to Grab an iTunes Piece as instructions ( Media-Select-Grab icon and put in Inspector Box to make background sound record) to use as sound in background.
    When I touch it to grab the program Quits. I’m stopped and Stumped! ??? Can anyone help?

OS X 10.4.11 Tiger/ 800MHz / G4

Posted: 03 June 2009 08:04 PM #1

Too little details in your post to give us an idea of what could be the problem here.

Give us a rundown of the Keynote and iTunes versions, which iLife version is it, exactly how much RAM you have in your Mac, which Mac model you use, etc.

Signature

Early 2009 24” iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 640 GB hard drive, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7
    Canon EOS 50D, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

• Posted: 03 June 2009 09:04 PM #2

Sorry about that !
    I have(iWork’08), Keynote’08, and iTunes 8. Am working on a Keynote Slideshow Retrospect of my work over many years with 39 pages in Graphic Pictures, lettering and page actions ready to include sound. (I’m a retired Fine Art and Graphic Artist) I open the Music Image icon to get iTunes as prompted and iTunes opens to reveal my choice of background music. (Zamphir-Send In The Clowns). The moment I touch the iTunes music icon, The Apple color wheel spins and the program quits and shows usual box saying it has stopped. It will record my voice, but not music from iTunes. I have successfully done a Quicktime CD-TestBurn and am now ready to add sound.

G4/iMac/800Mhz/768MB Memory / OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

Posted: 03 June 2009 11:36 PM #3

Well at a quick glance, I would say you might be short on RAM. On the system requirements:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (500MHz or faster) processor
    512MB of RAM; 1GB recommended
    Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
    1GB of available disk space
    32MB of video memory
    QuickTime 7.2 or later
    iLife ‘08 recommended
    CD drive required for installation

They do say 512MB for RAM but you can rest assured it’s much better to go with the recommended number instead and that, 1GB, would be a minimum, IMO.

With Keynote NOT running, you might try dragging to the trash the Keynote pref file (it should be here:
    Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your user account -> Library -> Preferences) and look for a file named some thing like com.apple.keynote.plist. I can’t test it for you because I don’t have iWork installed at present.

Don’t empty the trash right away, launch the app and see if it’s more stable.

But just the fact that you’re a bit short on RAM, that might be the problem right there.

When did it start acting this way? Has it always been crashing since installation?

Signature

Early 2009 24” iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 640 GB hard drive, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7

• Posted: 04 June 2009 11:21 AM #4

I have 768MB and not 512 as noted. That’s as far as I can go. Voice record is fine ! It crashed there from the first install.

Posted: 04 June 2009 01:31 PM #5

Well as I said, I’m sure it’s because of a lack of RAM combined with an aging CPU. Keynote and iTunes ask a lot of horsepower and if you run those two at the same time, it’s pretty hard on a G4 not to mention that apps nowadays are more and more demanding.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion than I do though.

Signature