Is Apple still the Innovator and is Video the next big thing

Posted: 05 June 2009 11:16 AM

As we sit and discuss the PRE and all the innovations it brings to the market TanToday had this to say

As I?ve said before, I see this as a seachange season, where NEW WINNERS are being revealed, and like it or not, the fruitco, isn?t really all that innovative recently, more evolutionary than revolutionary, and a little nipping at their heels, might shake some buried goodies out of the dark hole of perfectionism.

So the question then is what will Apple bring to the table. 

Peter Burrows from Business Week had this to say
      Here

Now, I think we?re about six weeks away from the next big thing. At long last, after decades of having to mess with camcorders and cables and PC video editing software and hard drives, my gut tells me Apple will make the iPhone a one-stop studio for recording, editing, viewing and sharing your own videos. Actually, more than my gut. I?ve spoken with a source that is familiar with Apple?s plans for the next iPhone, which may well be announced at Apple?s Worldwide Developers Conference in early June. Evidently, shooting video is as easy as it is with a Flip, the ingenious device made by Pure Digital (recently purchased by Cisco). Then there?s an iMovie app that lets you quickly save the sections you want, right there on the phone itself. There may also be support for MMS, so the clips can be shared wirelessly with friends. And because of the iPhone?s relatively large screen, your friends don?t have to schlep to your PC or their Facebook page to see that video of your kids or your safari. Just hand them your iPhone.

John Chambers the CEO of Cisco had this to say
      Here

Video and collaboration will be the underlying infrastructure for these market adjacencies.

?Telepresence is the flagship,? Chambers said. ?It allows customers to get what Web 2.0 is about. Behind that is a depth of opportunities to go rapidly in unique ways with Web 2.0 across entire companies.?

Chambers presided over a demonstration that used telepresence as the platform to demonstrate a series of other products from unified communications to a partner application to help nurses locate healthcare assets such as wheelchairs within a facility.

Within Cisco itself Chambers says the company conducts 4,700 telepresence meetings a week.  The company changed the format of its recent sales meeting to a virtual one. The meeting, which used to bring in 17,000 people and cost $4,307 per person now costs $437 per person.

?This is the greatest opportunity of our lifetime,? Chambers said, completely changing the way we do things.

“Video is an architecture, not a stand-alone application,” he said, later adding that “it will completely change how we communicate and how we do business.”

It we look at some of Apple’s recent patents on video the picture becomes clear

InformationWeek did some of the detective work Here

I’ve scoured the iPhone patent and have come up with the verbiage and images which indicate Apple’s video intentions. Interestingly, Apple’s United States patent, which is number 7,479,949, has the rather grasping title of “Touch screen device, method, and graphic user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics.” I guess that’s intended to lock up a whole heap of intellectual property and prevent any competitors—like Pre-maker Palm—from doing a touch-screen phone unless they can figure out how to launch calls via the user’s brain-wave commands.

Let me give you the summary first, before I get to the details which prove my point. Namely, what’s interesting is not that there are mentions of video recording peppered throughout the patent (though there are). What’s really significant is that when you take all the video mentions as a whole, it’s clear that Apple intends to seriously beef up the iPhone’s video recording capabilities.

Even more boldly, I believe Apple intends to go well beyond the simple video clip recording that every still camera today has anyway. It intends to turn the iPhone into a handheld video conferencing device! That’d make the iPhone even more powerful than it is today. So rather than shooting its whole wad at one time—like with the intro of the 3G iPhone—I’m guessing Apple is waiting until there’s both a sag in demand and a more robust build-out of nationwide 3G network capabilities.

Has Apple again stolen a market right from under everyones nose?

Posted: 05 June 2009 12:09 PM #1

TanToday - 05 June 2009 10:09 AM

Sounds to me like a bunch of people that have never DONE video editing speculating on what this may theoretically do.

Even on a good desktop, managing video?s is VERY processor intensive, and rendering changes pretty much takes over a good FAST iMac until you are finished.

And come on, who on earth is going to be satisfied with a 3 megapixel camera these days when that is utterly at the very lowest end for video in what, low, low, rez?

And the ergonomics of getting stable images from holding an iPod Touch/phone for more than a few seconds of actual recording, without jitteritis is going to be some trick.

In CONCEPT it is a really good idea, fold into the device somehting that will approximate a low end video camcorder, and then INTEGRATE that with some basic processing and a HOOK into YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK is a thing I can see that doing well.

Of course, this will be a hit with the kiddies, they can send each other hugs and kisses snippets when they are away from each other.

I LIKE THE IDEA, I just don?t see this being as big a deal as the CONCEPT would seem to indicate.

But the actual formfactor is not conducive to a good experience, NOR will those low power processors give you much to work with in rendering, and processing beyond the initial shoot.

Disclosure: I have and use iMovie, AND Final Cut Express 4, along with Aperature 2 for stills.

[ Edited: 05 June 2009 12:14 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 05 June 2009 12:11 PM #2

double post, ignore.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 05 June 2009 12:15 PM #3

argh argh.

ignore

Signature

• Posted: 05 June 2009 12:26 PM #4

And come on, who on earth is going to be satisfied with a 3 megapixel camera these days when that is utterly at the very lowest end for video in what, low, low, rez?

Am I totally missing something?  1080p (certainly not the very lowest end for vide in what, low, low, rez) only has a resolution of 2 megapixels.  I dont think the resolution is an issue at all for video.  Now data bandwidth and power consumption while recording/encoding….thats probably the bottleneck imo.

3 megapixels is low for a CAMERA, but its more important how well that 3 megapixels is able to be used imo.  The firstgen iPhone (which i use)  has a terrible delay in the shutter.  The low light capabilities are mediocre as well, and the “autofocusing” is so so at best.

[ Edited: 05 June 2009 12:29 PM by markb ]      

Posted: 05 June 2009 12:37 PM #5

markb - 05 June 2009 03:26 PM

3 megapixels is low for a CAMERA, but its more important how well that 3 megapixels is able to be used imo.

I agree.  I had a Canon S1 3.2 megapixle camara that took fantastic pics.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 05 June 2009 01:47 PM #6

TanToday,

Don’t forget CEO talks vision and patents refer to product years away.  In five years, technology (including processor power and battery life) could improve to an extent that iPhone is usable for short video recording and limited editing.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 05 June 2009 03:00 PM #7

Assuming the iPhone Video name is real and used for the new 32GB phone, it would be ridiculous to name it ‘Video’ if all it does is record and edit.  To name it video simply because it records and edits video would be as lame as naming the original the iPhone calculator, or iPhone camera, simply b/c these were basic functions.

I am inclined to believe Apple will introduce a very high-end phone next week or sometime in June which also introduces video conferencing capabilities. This feature, in combination with full recording and editing functionality would be proper cause to call it an iPhone Video.

If you have been following the rumors over the past few months, we have heard that: 3 new phones will be introduced (originally assumed to be one for China, one for India, and one for Western Europe/USA), a new ‘family’ of phones will be introduced, that models of 4, 8, 16, and 32GB will be available, and that a phone priced below $199 is coming.

Usually these rumors turn out to be true, but not in the ways expected.  This leads me to believe that 4, 8, and 16GB will be an upgrade phone from current 3G with the 4GB the sub-$199 phone, there will be a Chinese deal announced which will comprise the 2nd type of phone rumored, and the 32GB will be pretty darn awesome= iPhone Video, and thus somewhat expensive.

This is obviously speculation on my part, but any thoughts out there on this??

And btw, where is Tommo_UK these days?  His analysis was always appreciated.

• Posted: 05 June 2009 04:04 PM #8

woodward - 05 June 2009 06:00 PM

And btw, where is Tommo_UK these days?  His analysis was always appreciated.

Speak of the devil…he’s been posting on the Intraday thread, today.  :wink:

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

• Posted: 06 June 2009 12:10 AM #9

[...]
    I am inclined to believe Apple will introduce a very high-end phone next week or sometime in June which also introduces video conferencing capabilities. This feature, in combination with full recording and editing functionality would be proper cause to call it an iPhone Video.

[...]
    This is obviously speculation on my part, but any thoughts out there on this??

[...]

Welcome to AFB, Woodward.

As I have written previously, video conferencing capability is very likely a high priority at Apple.  In the beginning I thought of it as being Mac centric due to limitations of the mobile platform (like bandwidth for example); that it will evolve to the iPhone is, I think, very likely.  Will it be now?  I cannot say.

I am a photographer.  3 megapixels is plenty for a screen size of the iPhone.  It is even enough for a Macbook screen unless you are talking about art quality photos.  The speed of the lens, focusing, and metering are probably more important factors now.

There are still obstacles (TT mentions some), but let’s remember that we should not assume that Apple will limit itself to the existing paradigm.

(Thanks to Pats for starting a good thread.)

• Posted: 06 June 2009 01:08 AM #10

We have no idea what’s been happening inside Apple over the past several months. I have no doubt the market will continue to move away from the stationery PC model into new classes of mobile computing and communications devices.

I have no worries about Apple maintaining its market leadership. It’s one thing to make a phone. It’s another to monetize the market. Walk into any supermarket. Where are the Nokia and Palm phone store gift cards? If they exist I haven’t seen them.

Please look beyond the handset mindset. That’s where Palm wants the attention focused. It’s not about the handset. It’s not about the service provider. It’s about the total user experience and the means in which opportunity is created for the user and the enterprises supporting and developing for the handset’s platform.

• Posted: 06 June 2009 01:40 AM #11

Well, how popular do you think Internet video will be? Are we going to be paying money, finding entertainment with sharing standard definition like video (320x240, 480x360, 640x480; maybe, just maybe 480p)? Will Youtube get bigger? Will it replace TV? If you think so, Apple is on the right track.

Does video handling on other cell phones suck? I believe that is a yes. Do people want to use camcorder functionality? That’s a yes. So, it’s a good situation for what Apple does: enter a market poorly served by existing vendors, reinvent it to make it insanely great, and then, profit. That’s what they do reasonably well and are 2 for 3: iPod and iPhone are big wins, but they really can’t figure out AppleTV. The convergence of cheap video cams and cell phones is like 5 years old or older. There are lots of phones that do this. The questions are if they suck at doing it and if there truly is a market for it.

• Posted: 06 June 2009 01:54 AM #12

If you have been following the rumors over the past few months, we have heard that: 3 new phones will be introduced (originally assumed to be one for China, one for India, and one for Western Europe/USA), a new ‘family’ of phones will be introduced, that models of 4, 8, 16, and 32GB will be available, and that a phone priced below $199 is coming.

The one rumor that is fairly convincing for the iPhone to have video upload and video conferencing capability is the rumor of faster wireless network support. Not really thinking about the 7.2 Mbit/s stuff, but HSUPA network that ATT already has. Video conferencing, and even more for publishing of a 10+ MB video files from the phone, will not work without at least >750 kbit/s upload speeds. Video conferencing will require rock solid 250+ kbit/s upload to just get a tiny resolution. ATT already has an HSUPA network and has been upgrading to an HSPA network to get to 7.2 MB download and hopefully 1.5+ MBit/s upload. You’ll need that upload capability for video conferencing and any kind of large file uploads.

• Posted: 06 June 2009 11:52 AM #13

Here’s MORE speculation on the new iPhone video with a possible launch June 8!

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/05/ultra-rumor-iphone-video-sale-apple-stores-june-8/

• Posted: 06 June 2009 02:21 PM #14

Mercel - 06 June 2009 02:52 PM

Here’s MORE speculation on the new iPhone video with a possible launch June 8!

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/05/ultra-rumor-iphone-video-sale-apple-stores-june-8/

Frankly don’t believe this as many people have said, it’s impossible to keep something like this secret for so long as people would have noticed things like training, suppliers, shipments, etc.

• Posted: 06 June 2009 10:18 PM #15

Hmmm…Rogers in Canada is coming out with a 15GB data plan. This after saying over and over again how so few of their users go over even a few hundred megs. What kind of change would suddenly increase network usage so dramatically? Strange timing too…hmmm.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-rogers/confirmed-rogers-to-release-15gb-data-plan-evidence/