AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 12 June 2009 11:10 AM #136

F is a trader’s dream thus far today. With PM, we’ve had three good pops and two good dips.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 12 June 2009 11:27 AM #137

F is relevant to AAPL because of what a f….... day or because of in-car navigation prospect?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 12 June 2009 12:22 PM #138

The way AAPL has been hugging $137 makes it feel like OE.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 12 June 2009 01:53 PM #139

If the market turns green, IMO, this would be another good opportunity for a swing trade in aapl.

Edit-just picked up aapl @136.36 stop at 135.99. Will probably sell EOD.

[ Edited: 12 June 2009 02:22 PM by litespeed ]

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

• Posted: 12 June 2009 02:50 PM #140

I know I have said this before, but this time it’s really true… this has got to be THE slowest trading day ever.

Signature

Posted: 12 June 2009 03:47 PM #141

Spike up, also in the S&P, with a spike down in the VIX. Any news?

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 12 June 2009 05:00 PM #142

As of today, the 20d-EMA is $136.06. Low of the day is $136.04. Coincidence?

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 12 June 2009 05:06 PM #143

Only sold half my position EOD. I think we might get a gap up on Monday morning.

Signature

Posted: 12 June 2009 05:10 PM #144

Next week the Pumpkin should arrive, but I’m expecting the indices to print a final high.

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

Posted: 12 June 2009 05:18 PM #145

awcabot - 12 June 2009 06:47 PM

Spike up, also in the S&P, with a spike down in the VIX. Any news?

I guess a bunch of stocks (like AAPL) crossed above their downtrend line that they’d been under for most of the day and a bunch of cover stops got hit.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 12 June 2009 07:10 PM #146

cramar - 12 June 2009 08:10 PM

Next week the Pumpkin should arrive, but I’m expecting the indices to print a final high.

Cramar, seems like the anticipated move lower may not appear until earnings season. What, in your opinion, will act as the catalyst in pushing us off a cliff next week instead of sideways?

TIA,
    Chris

Signature

• Posted: 12 June 2009 09:17 PM #147

litespeed - 12 June 2009 10:10 PM

Cramar, seems like the anticipated move lower may not appear until earnings season. What, in your opinion, will act as the catalyst in pushing us off a cliff next week instead of sideways?

TIA,
    Chris

It will be OE week. There’s always that.

Posted: 12 June 2009 09:18 PM #148

litespeed - 12 June 2009 10:10 PM

I’ll take a stab at this. What will push things lower is an absence of good news. AAPL is no longer the investor’s stock of 2003 and has become a trader’s stock. Most of the action is either news or analyst driven. If things go a bit quiet, then the bullish momo players will get bored and move elsewhere, the stock will start to sag and the bears will chip away until they get some downside momentum going at which point the bearish momentum players move in. What will turn things up again is a flurry of good news either specific to AAPL or the market as a whole.

My biggest concern for AAPL at present is that most of the analysts have high targets now, so there won’t be many target upgrades for a while, so what will drive things higher now are EPS upgrades and people like Cramer pumping AAPL daily. When prices start to get downside momentum, the analysts go very quiet or start to downgrade. Munster will come out every so often, like he did today, but folk are beginning to get a tad anaesthetised to his frequent comments. It’s only when people like Huberty massively change their view do people sit up and take notice.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 13 June 2009 01:14 AM #149

willrob and wheeles, thanks for responding. My question was really regarding the broader markets. I do agree with the premise that aapl probably will be pinned to OE. I also think that Plato was right that we might touch 133 next week. Aapl seems to be trending down while the broader markets are trending sideways. Anyone think that maybe commodities are overdone and there maybe sector rotation into tech or financials?

Signature

• Posted: 13 June 2009 02:34 AM #150

litespeed - 13 June 2009 04:14 AM

willrob and wheeles, thanks for responding. My question was really regarding the broader markets. I do agree with the premise that aapl probably will be pinned to OE. I also think that Plato was right that we might touch 133 next week. Aapl seems to be trending down while the broader markets are trending sideways. Anyone think that maybe commodities are overdone and there maybe sector rotation into tech or financials?

Financials, notably BAC, have already started some rally like movement. But they are so heavily day traded it’s hard to take any move seriously until it’s consistent for over a week (or at least a weekend) and real accumulation can be seen. Art Cashin (see Conman’s thread) thinks next week will be a tell. But then he thinks practically every trading day is a sign from the Market Gods.