AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 08 June 2009 04:49 PM #46

When was the “mystery meeting” taking place? Was that today?

Bought some calls after 3Gs was announced. Will be buying 3 new phones when they come out so I’m liking this little recovery.

Posted: 08 June 2009 04:57 PM #47

the sponge bought some aapl today.

No margin and still have cash left.

Here is why I bought a few shares.

1) One can never time the bottom, and since I am a long term investor, I don’t mind buying expensive stock which may look cheap in 4 years.

2) I think that the stock will do better then overall market because of what they did today.
        a) lowering the prices across their whole market line was a great move.  I think that will maintain momentum of growth
        b) I think the new features in the iPhone will increase upgrade demand higher then last upgrade.  The features like MMS, better camera, and business wipeout, all will entice present iPhone owners to upgrade.  That is just as important as new users.

Posted: 08 June 2009 05:07 PM #48

Does anybody else feel that it’s no big deal if Steve doesn’t present at any more events? The last two Phil and the gang have done and we ended up with AAPL rallying into the close. All previous ones that I can remember (except for the original iPhone launch) resulted in the stock tanking.

Is this the “Steve Effect” with Wall Street wanting to wipe the smirk off his face, or are we genuinely seeing a new way of trading these events emerge?

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 08 June 2009 05:12 PM #49

I sold the rest of my July 140 Puts @7.80 before the WWDC - was to risky to hold. Just bought some July 140 calls into the close. I think WWDC was good and will bring some momentum back to the stock IMHO.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 08 June 2009 05:25 PM #50

BRAVO!

All around, really.

The “sleeper” is the laptops, everyone was focusing in on the iPhone, but the new prices, and upped specs on the laps is THE BONG if you ask me. Now they are in the “sweet zone” where it is a little stretch to go with OSX and eschew MSFT, but now you can do it and justify it. And the HUGE price reductions in the MacBook Air is just what was needed to spice up the line, especially the $700 reduction for the Solid State drive.

Pricing Snow Lepoard at $29 is GREAT, there will be little if any incentive to stay with the older versions, and they can cut the support and get most into the newest OS with little resistance.

Video is nice, no front facing camera, bummer.

And keeping the old phone at $99 is a good move, no one will want that, BUT it completely undercuts the dissapointment at not lowering the prices as much as others were spinning things to be.

I looked at the charts, saw the selloff, thought to myself, hey the first cool thing, will turn this, and took 10 july 145 calls, for a 26% profit for the day.

All in all, satisfied.

The SD thing was weird, they were touting that like a great thing, shoot, even the toy computers had those YEARS ago. But why they are sticking with Firewire is odd, when eSATA is so much better and more available now for external drive arrangements.

What was odd, was that both RIMM and PALM rallied along with AAPL as the day wore on.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 08 June 2009 05:30 PM #51

Any word on multi-tasking on the new iPhone or price for the data plan?

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 08 June 2009 05:31 PM #52

TanToday - 08 June 2009 08:25 PM

The SD thing was weird, they were touting that like a great thing, shoot, even the toy computers had those YEARS ago. But why they are sticking with Firewire is odd, when eSATA is so much better and more available now for external drive arrangements.

What was odd, was that both RIMM and PALM rallied along with AAPL as the day wore on.

It’s probably a case of the SD card slot proving more useful and was easier to replace the previous express slot that nobody used. Now you don’t need to buy a SD card reader to load your photos, so for a lot of people it’s a better proposition. I agree that eSATA would have been a nice touch, but maybe Apple don’t see a lot of those devices being sold as yet.

As for RIMM and PALM rallying?the whole market was.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 08 June 2009 05:43 PM #53

omacvi - 08 June 2009 07:57 PM

b) I think the new features in the iPhone will increase upgrade demand higher then last upgrade.  The features like MMS, better camera, and business wipeout, all will entice present iPhone owners to upgrade.  That is just as important as new users.

You don’t need to upgrade your phone to use MMS or remote wipe, it’s a free upgrade for all iPhones.
    I get the feeling these new iPhones are representative of the graduated evolution theory of technology economics.  They could have easily added some other desired features, but I guess the engineers only get three tries at bobbing in the apple idea bucket per model upgrade.

[ Edited: 08 June 2009 05:45 PM by macglenn ]

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

Posted: 08 June 2009 05:57 PM #54

macglenn - 08 June 2009 08:43 PM

You don’t need to upgrade your phone to use MMS or remote wipe, it’s a free upgrade for all iPhones.

First gen iPhones don’t get MMS with the software upgrade.  :cry:

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 08 June 2009 05:59 PM #55

BRAVO!

All around, really.

The “sleeper” is the laptops, everyone was focusing in on the iPhone, but the new prices, and upped specs on the laps is THE BONG if you ask me. Now they are in the “sweet zone” where it is a little stretch to go with OSX and eschew MSFT, but now you can do it and justify it. And the HUGE price reductions in the MacBook Air is just what was needed to spice up the line, especially the $700 reduction for the Solid State drive.

Pricing Snow Lepoard at $29 is GREAT, there will be little if any incentive to stay with the older versions, and they can cut the support and get most into the newest OS with little resistance.

Video is nice, no front facing camera, bummer.

And keeping the old phone at $99 is a good move, no one will want that, BUT it completely undercuts the dissapointment at not lowering the prices as much as others were spinning things to be.

I looked at the charts, saw the selloff, thought to myself, hey the first cool thing, will turn this, and took 10 july 145 calls, for a 26% profit for the day.

All in all, satisfied.

Funny, 2 applications didn’t even work - feel sorry for the guys presenting them, pretty embarrassing!

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 08 June 2009 06:21 PM #56

Plato - 08 June 2009 08:59 PM

Funny, 2 applications didn’t even work - feel sorry for the guys presenting them, pretty embarrassing!

Yeah, talk about bummer.

I imagine Stevie was having a fit and some techies will be denutted tonight.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 08 June 2009 07:41 PM #57

incorrigible - 08 June 2009 08:57 PM
    macglenn - 08 June 2009 08:43 PM

First gen iPhones don’t get MMS with the software upgrade.  :cry:

MMS needs a faster cell chip ? 3G minimum. As it stands now, even the new phone users won’t have that feature till ATT upgrades their 3G network later this summer.

• Posted: 08 June 2009 07:48 PM #58

BRAVO!

Firewire is still essential for video or audio hardware.

I’m still not sure why the white MacBook is still in the lineup, other than it having Firewire 400 as an option, and a slightly lower price. But they did upgrade it recently so it’s pretty much the performance equal of the new 15” Macbook Pro low end model.

Re: SD slot. As larger capacity SDHC cards (16G, 32G) become cheaper, they will become the standard for not only photo loading, but HD video (from the Nikon and Canon DSLRs) and file transfers in general. Tiny removable high capacity media is every Spy’s wet dream.

• Posted: 08 June 2009 08:03 PM #59

I kept my shares and options what I had going into WWDC, but the action during the keynote offered some buying ops for a couple of day trades.  Nice recovery at close; I should have held a bit longer.  But as the old saying goes: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I purchased the new 3GS online and listed my old 3G for $500 on ebay, so it’s almost a break-even.  I timed the auction to close the day the new ones are released.  Apple learned a thing about last year—delaying the release date gives them the ability to promise delivery on 6/19 for internet orders, minimizing the need to wait in line if you want one on the same day.

All in all, a good day for Apple.  The pricing on the new notebooks is particularly aggressive.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 01:32 AM #60

Tuesday

R4         156.90
      midpoint   154.50
    R3       152.10
      midpoint   149.70
    R2       147.30
      midpoint   146.44
    R1       145.58
      midpoint   144.04
    PP       142.50
      midpoint   141.64