AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 09 June 2009 10:17 AM #61

heard something about Goldman Sachs giving apple an upgrade this morning.
    i didnt catch the details . . . sorry.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 10:20 AM #62

the-irish-guy - 09 June 2009 01:17 PM

heard something about Goldman Sachs giving apple an upgrade this morning.
    i didnt catch the details . . . sorry.

See news thread for GS and Barcley’s upgrades. GS has their heads up their Blackberry.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 10:28 AM #63

We get the upgrades and move now lower in PM and RIMM moves higher. I think RIMM could announce that they don’t sell any Crapberries anymore and the stock still would go higher.

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

• Posted: 09 June 2009 10:42 AM #64

We have exactly the reverse intraday chart compared to RIMM. Amazing! Did RIMM announce they will start selling iPhones????  rolleyes

Signature

“We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.” - Aesop

Posted: 09 June 2009 01:14 PM #65

Plato - 09 June 2009 01:42 PM

We have exactly the reverse intraday chart compared to RIMM. Amazing! Did RIMM announce they will start selling iPhones????  rolleyes

No, but the Blackberry doesn’t cost $85 bucks a month for the base plan. As I told Chartguy yesterday, “They don’t get it: it’s not the cost to purchase, it’s the monthly fee.”

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 02:38 PM #66

Eric Landstrom - 09 June 2009 04:14 PM

No, but the Blackberry doesn’t cost $85 bucks a month for the base plan. As I told Chartguy yesterday, “They don’t get it: it’s not the cost to purchase, it’s the monthly fee.”

Quite honestly, I would think that 90% or more of people that buy the iPhone can afford the monthly fees.

But, I have to see, what bothers me that existing customers (like me that have an iPhone 3G with existing AT&T contract) are charged $699 for the 32 GB iPhone 3GS - if you’re new, it costs you $299!

Signature

Posted: 09 June 2009 02:44 PM #67

Plato - 09 June 2009 05:38 PM

Quite honestly, I would think that 90% or more of people that buy the iPhone can afford the monthly fees.

But, I have to see, what bothers me that existing customers (like me that have an iPhone 3G with existing AT&T contract) are charged $699 for the 32 GB iPhone 3GS - if you’re new, it costs you $299!

Terminate your contract and then signup with the new phone grin

• Posted: 09 June 2009 02:49 PM #68

ChasMac77 - 09 June 2009 05:44 PM

Terminate your contract and then signup with the new phone grin

And how much does AT&T charge me for that?? I read on the Mac Observer somewhere that you can’t order online at the Apple store as an existing customer to get a good price, but rather go to a local AT&T store and exchange your iPhone with a new 3GS, and they are supposedly give you the normal price.

Edit: Acrtually, I might give the iPhone 3G to my wife (she needs a new phone anyway) and get myself a new contract with the 3GS - that should work too!

Signature

• Posted: 09 June 2009 02:55 PM #69

Plato - 09 June 2009 05:49 PM

And how much does AT&T charge me for that?? I read on the Mac Observer somewhere that you can’t order online at the Apple store as an existing customer to get a good price, but rather go to a local AT&T store and exchange your iPhone with a new 3GS, and they are supposedly give you the normal price.

I don’t think that’s true, Plato.  I checked what I was eligible for, through the Apple Store online and I was eligible for the 3GS @$199 for the 16GB or $299 for the 32GB.  My iPhone is the first gen, purchased in June 2007.  I didn’t check Apple’s site for DH’s eligibility, but the AT&T site showed he was eligible to upgrade at a reduced cost on Aug 7th or something (he bought the first gen 3G, last Aug).

Also, I’m not positive, but AT&T’s charge to cancel a contract may be $150-$175 or so.

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

• Posted: 09 June 2009 03:03 PM #70

sstenner - 09 June 2009 05:55 PM

I don’t think that’s true, Plato.  I checked what I was eligible for, through the Apple Store online and I was eligible for the 3GS @$199 for the 16GB or $299 for the 32GB.  My iPhone is the first gen, purchased in June 2007.  I didn’t check Apple’s site for DH’s eligibility, but the AT&T site showed he was eligible to upgrade at a reduced cost on Aug 7th or something (he bought the first gen 3G, last Aug).

Also, I’m not positive, but AT&T’s charge to cancel a contract may be $150-$175 or so.

I believe that Steph is correct.  The iPhone guy at BBY told my sister that as a general rule anybody with 18 months under their belt will be able to take advantage of the new subsidies provided they sign up for another 2 years.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 03:06 PM #71

Anybody here still short PALM, whether via puts or otherwise?

Posted: 09 June 2009 03:14 PM #72

capablanca - 09 June 2009 06:06 PM

Anybody here still short PALM, whether via puts or otherwise?

Yes, out yesterday at a profit, back in with Puts (July) about a half hour ago. May add on more strength.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 03:40 PM #73

capablanca - 09 June 2009 06:03 PM
    sstenner - 09 June 2009 05:55 PM

I believe that Steph is correct.  The iPhone guy at BBY told my sister that as a general rule anybody with 18 months under their belt will be able to take advantage of the new subsidies provided they sign up for another 2 years.

You guys might be right, all I can say is that I tried to order the new 3GS online at the Apple store. I had to give them my existing cell phone number and that I currently own the iPhone 3G, and the price for the 32GB showed up as $699. I didn’t order obviously.

The confusing thing is that I read at the Mac Observer, that all existing AT&T customers with a contract older than 6 months would pay $499 for the 32GB 3GS. My contract is 10 months old, and the Apple online store still tried to charge me $699!

Edit: Steph your are correct - since you have the first iPhone generation and your contract is 24 months old, i.e. you qualify for the same price than first time customers.

[ Edited: 09 June 2009 03:43 PM by Plato ]

Signature

Posted: 09 June 2009 03:42 PM #74

I can’t justify $85.00 for a private use phone. On the other hand I wear flannel, use coupons at the Olive Garden, and shop on craig’s list.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 03:44 PM #75

Plato - 09 June 2009 06:40 PM

You guys might be right, all I can say is that I tried to order the new 3GS online at the Apple store. I had to give them my existing cell phone number and that I currently own the iPhone 3G, and the price for the 32GB showed up as $699. I didn’t order obviously.

The confusing thing is that I read at the Mac Observer, that all existing AT&T customers with a contract older than 6 months would pay $499 for the 32GB 3GS. My contract is 10 months old, and the Apple online store still tried to charge me $699!

Plato, have you checked what you’re eligible for, through the AT&T website?  It should tell you when you are eligible for reduced pricing.  DH isn’t eligible for an upgrade until August, so, I would expect, if he tried to buy through Apple, now, it would show the full price for the phone.  For you, depending on how long you’ve had your 3G, it might just be a matter of a couple more months.  Just a thought.

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat