02 plans for the UK for the new iPhone and data plans, 3.0 Impressions

Posted: 08 June 2009 06:07 PM

O2 beats rivals to iPhone 3GS exclusivity
    New upgrade plans revealed and tethering costs

O2 has confirmed to TechRadar that it will still be the exclusive provider of the iPhone now the new 3GS version has launched.

It seems that reports that Vodafone or Orange would nab it are wide of the mark, although no price has been announced although it will be coming on the 19 June.

O2 has also announced it will be supporting tethering and MMS from 19 June for the iPhone 3GS, with users needing to pay for an Internet Tethering Bolt On costing ?14.68 for 3Gb of data per month, with 10Gb coming in at ?29.36 per month, while both include The Cloud’s Wi-Fi.

However, there will not be the same option to break the contract as last year, although users will be able to pay up to jump to the next iPhone iteration.

Upgrades

Users will be allowed to upgrade to the new iPhone 3GS at a cost of up to ?184.98 for the 16Gb version, and the 32Gb will be up to ?274.23 depending on tarriffs.

The highest tarriff prices will be on an18 month contract at ?29.38 and ?34.26 tariffs, so no two year deals here like we saw on the iPhone 3G.

This will likely rankle with those that have just signed up to a 23 month deal wiht O2 to get the new iPhone, so it will be interesting to see how the network deals with that backlash.

[ Edited: 08 June 2009 06:18 PM by Tommo_UK ]

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 08 June 2009 06:09 PM #1

and more comment from CNET…

After the launch of the new iPhone in San Francisco, there’s a whole pile of questions pinging around our heads, mostly about pricing in the UK. Thankfully, O2 has a whole bunch of answers. Here’s what you need to know.

When will O2 sell the iPhone 3G S?
    The new Apple iPhone 3G S will be available on O2 on 19 June.

And how much will it cost?
    The iPhone 3G S 16GB will cost up to ?184.98 depending on which tariff you take—the 32GB up to ?274.23. The highest prices are on the 18-month ?29.38 and ?34.26 tariffs—full details will be on the site soon.

Can I break my current contract to upgrade?
    You can upgrade early if you want to, however you will need to pay to end your contract. The early upgrade cost is likely to be your monthly cost [multiplied by] the number of months left on your contract, but specifics may vary slightly.

Will O2 support iPhone 3G tethering?
    To tether you need an Internet tethering bolt-on: 3GB for ?14.68 per month, 10GB for ?29.36. Both include The Cloud’s Wi-Fi.

What about the iPhone’s MMS feature?
    MMS and tethering will be supported and available on 19 June. MMS messages will come out of your normal allocation, with one MMS deducting four SMS from your allowance.

If you have a question for O2, you can fire one as an ‘at’ reply to the official O2 Twitter page, @o2.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 08 June 2009 06:12 PM #2

Going to install the 3.0 GM as soon as I can get it downloaded - will report back on what I think.

[ Edited: 08 June 2009 06:18 PM by Tommo_UK ]

Signature

• Posted: 08 June 2009 07:19 PM #3

Early upgrade cost is a bit mean - might as well just start a new contract for the new phone and actually use the old contract minutes you’re being asked to pay for and not use. Don’t see why they don’t simply make you add 18 months to your current contract. Or I suppose you could buy PAYG and then sell the old phone with the new PAYG SIM with a full year of mobile internet.

Posted: 09 June 2009 01:11 PM #4

Upgraded to 3.0 running on O2 - MMS messaging was enabled automatically and works a treat, as do all the other features. Spotlight is very cool, as is the ability to search directly whilst in the Calendar app via a search toolbar at the top of the screen.

BUT WHY OH WHY OH WHY CAN’T I SYNC MY TO-DO’S - STILL ? WTF is Apple’s problem with the notion of wanting iCal’s ToDo list sync’d to my iPhone???

Sigh. Rant over. Everything just like the keynote otherwise.

Going to upgrade to a 32GB 3G S on a new 18month ?45/month contract (second highest tariff- same one I’m on now and which means the phone will cost me ?175) in July after lowering my current monthly tariff to the lowest possible (?30/mo) over the course of two months (you can only go down one tariff in any one month, not jump down to the lowest straight away) and then buy the new one, pay ?180 to settle my outstanding contract, selling the old 3G one on eBay for ?200 or so. I figure that way I’m only really paying ?155 to upgrade to the new phone after accounting for selling the old one, which for the extra speed, double capacity, vastly improved camera and video functionality is definitely a no-brainer for me.

Signature

Posted: 09 June 2009 01:33 PM #5

Tommo_UK - 09 June 2009 04:11 PM

.........Sigh. Rant over. Everything just like the keynote otherwise….....

More importantly can it really pop balloons?

Nice to see you posting again Tommo! 8)