Just tried the “Pre” ......

• Posted: 09 June 2009 12:14 AM

Just happened to walk by a Sprint store so I walked in and tried the new “iPhone killer”  .....  Sprint had two of them ... one did not work and the display was awful, about what I would expect from a third rate carrier. (I was on Sprint for about 5 years before switching for my iPhone ... hated them but they were cheap).

1)  The pre feels cheap ... I’ve read that but until you pick one up you won’t believe how cheap .. but it feels like a toy…. a cheap toy.

2)  The interface sucks ... I tried to figure it out and was left scratching my head ... now I know Pouge and Mossberg wet their pants over it but I’m speaking from the point of view of someone who is not a techno wizard.  And the funny thing is I feel like I’m pretty good about these things .. in my family I’m the one everyone goes to to figure out how something works ... I’m sure I could figure it out but my initial impression was not good.  It is less than intuitive and in my opinion very un-Apple like. 

3)  The keyboard is a pain in the ass ... small and felt cheap .... give me the iPhone touch keyboard anyday.

4)  The screen is noticeably smaller than the iPhone ... hard to see online but get one in your hand and I’ll bet most iPhone users will say the same.  I don’t care that the resolution is the same ... it’s simply too small.

5)  Now ... it’s $100 more expensive (with less memory).... I’m sure they will sell well to those who are tied to Sprint but I can’t see people leaving the iPhone for this thing.

I’m a lot less worried now that I’ve actually held and tried one on my own ... I have a feeling that the average person will agree with what I’ve said ... now it may have some great features but unless you are a tech head I don’t think you will see past the crappy UI.

Granted ... I’ve drank the kool-aid ... still drinking it and LOVING it ..

I’d love to hear anyone else’s take on it ... well AFTER they have actually tried it.

GO APPLE !!!!

• Posted: 09 June 2009 01:00 AM #1

You should give reading the PreCentral forums a try. There’s a somewhat common battery design issue where the battery seems to jostle a little bit from jerky movements. It results in the phone losing electrical contact with the battery, which then cases a crash or freeze or reset.

So, what causes jerky movement? Closing the slider! It’s unbelievable, it’s like Palm has never designed a slider before. They have in the Tungsten T3 (or whatever the models were), but I guess they lost all of the corporate knowledge when they abandoned slider designs, and don’t have the benefit of that corporate design knowledge anymore.

Of course a fix that seems to be working is jamming the battery tight with wadded up paper. wink However, as a Pre unit gets older, I’m wondering if more and more units start to have the problem. Palm and Sprint certainly knows about it as their number one warning to buyers is to never remove the battery!

Anyways, the Pre is selling to many Sprint customers, so it may be doing its job of stopping Sprint customers from switching. That’s enough for Palm for now. Don’t know about Sprint when Palm starts selling WebOS units on other carriers.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 01:41 AM #2

Shrike - 09 June 2009 04:00 AM

Anyways, the Pre is selling to many Sprint customers, so it may be doing its job of stopping Sprint customers from switching. That’s enough for Palm for now. Don’t know about Sprint when Palm starts selling WebOS units on other carriers.

It might be “enough” for Sprint (provided Pre buyers spend the extra $100 for the Pre and don’t mind the lack of a real app store) but it won’t be sufficient for Palm which needs a breakthrough product to position the company for eventual sale. Absent huge sales it will be difficult to entice developers and the price cut on the iPhone will put pressure on Palm and Sprint to cut the price and thus Palm’s margin on the phone.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 02:19 AM #3

Although I agree the keyboard is the handset’s achilles heel, I don’t think it feels cheap.  I think it looks and feels like a quality piece.  But judging from the problems early adopters are having, it may be that first impressions—at least for me—are deceiving.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 02:29 AM #4

Mercel - 09 June 2009 05:19 AM

Although I agree the keyboard is the handset’s achilles heel, I don’t think it feels cheap.  I think it looks and feels like a quality piece.  But judging from the problems early adopters are having, it may be that first impressions—at least for me—are deceiving.

It may not feel cheap on its own, but might how it feel in relation to a 3G iPhone which costs $100 less or at the same price of an iPhone 3G S with twice the memory, a video camera, access to the Apple app store and full MobileMe integration?

• Posted: 09 June 2009 02:50 AM #5

DawnTreader - 09 June 2009 05:29 AM
    Mercel - 09 June 2009 05:19 AM

It may not feel cheap on its own, but might how it feel in relation to a 3G iPhone which costs $100 less or at the same price of an iPhone 3G S with twice the memory, a video camera, access to the Apple app store and full MobileMe integration?

Don’t get me wrong Robert.  I don’t see why anyone would choose the Pre over the iPhone, unless the user has a love affair with Sprint. 

I think one should also compare the cost of the handset and the monthlies together over 24 months.  I think I heard Sprint crowing about this earlier today, not that it would make any difference to me.

• Posted: 09 June 2009 10:16 AM #6

As I posted in another thread, I think a lot of the initial Pre owners were already Sprint customers who were eligible for an upgrade to a new phone. It remains to be seen how many new customers they can lure to Sprint using the Pre as bait.

Reports I read about the keyboard seemed tro say that out of the box the keys were sticky, but after a few days of use the keyboard was much easier to use.

Posted: 09 June 2009 10:19 AM #7

The complaint I hear most often from people, is not with the iPhone, but with the network, AT&T. I bought the iPhone 3G last year expecting to have 3G service, only to find that AT&T’s 3G is not in all cities. Mine for example. I’m still being charged as though 3G is being provided, but not so. Now AT&T is promising 3G for all, by Fall, maybe.  We’ll see. Right now, I view AT&T as a ball and chain around Apples neck.  :-(

:apple:

• Posted: 09 June 2009 10:40 AM #8

MacCube - 09 June 2009 01:19 PM

Right now, I view AT&T as a ball and chain around Apples neck.

After watching the keynote yesterday I think Apple agrees with you.

Signature