Tablets start to arrive

• Posted: 13 June 2009 12:06 PM

Here is a story and video clip of the Archos 9 PC tablet. It looks pretty
    cool. But what I find exciting is how Apple will improve big time on what
    the Archos has….

http://www.last100.com/2009/06/12/archos9/

When Apple intros their tablet ( and I disagree with Gene Munster. It will be announced
    in time for the Xmas shopping season imo) it will be the gadget of the year. The price
    quoted for the Archos running Windows 7 is 450 - 500 Euros ( $625 - $700. US)

• Posted: 13 June 2009 12:15 PM #1

There are other tablets on the market as well, aren’t there. I keep seeing images of them while skimming through Engadget or Gizmodo. Perhaps they were “coming soon.”  Apple would certainly do one better, if for no other reason than the device would runLeopard rather than Windows in any iteration.

Posted: 13 June 2009 12:46 PM #2

After doing a fair amount of reading about the potential iTablet, I am of the opinion that we will see one before the year’s end.

Apple needs another new product, to spur new growth.  The upgrade cycle will slow down because of the economy and the success of Leopard. 

The Air was a prefect example of how they were able to introduce a better notebook and how it contributed to the bottom line. The time is now and they have learned enough from the iPhone.

There is a market for this product, it may not be huge, but over time it will evolve.

• Posted: 13 June 2009 12:51 PM #3

willrob - 13 June 2009 03:15 PM

There are other tablets on the market as well, aren’t there. I keep seeing images of them while skimming through Engadget or Gizmodo. Perhaps they were “coming soon.”  Apple would certainly do one better, if for no other reason than the device would runLeopard rather than Windows in any iteration.

I could be wrong willrob, but I thought iPhone OS ran Tiger - not sure about OS 3.0

Signature

• Posted: 13 June 2009 02:35 PM #4

This is close to what I envision for Apple’s version, withOUT all the buttons (so old school) and MS’ OS.  Apple can knock this out of the park with its OSX, iTunes, Phone capability, Apps, and the rest of what Apple offers.  I expect they will do so either by announcement or release in the 4th quarter, or 1st quarter at the latest.

But for a PC version of things, this example is not bad, although I can’t speak to its actual use in operation.

• Posted: 13 June 2009 03:38 PM #5

If it is too big to hold with one hand comfortably for any length of time, and it works better with a stand on a flat surface it needs to be either an iPhone or a 13” Macbook Pro. Both of these also look great on a coffee table. This would be Apple’s first product since the lime green iMac that I cannot see myself wanting or owning. It just doesn’t seem like Apple to go there ” because everyone else is doing it”. Count me agnostic to this class of machine.

Posted: 13 June 2009 03:50 PM #6

danthemason - 13 June 2009 06:38 PM

. . . Apple’s first product since the lime green iMac that I cannot see myself wanting or owning.

Hey, my daughter is playing Diablo on one of those right now.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 13 June 2009 03:55 PM #7

Contrary to popular opinion, Apple isn’t usually the first tech enterprise to enter or create a new product market.

For examples, digital music players were available before the introduction of the iPod and smart phones were available before the introduction of the iPhone.

However, Apple raises the bar in new product markets by introducing an entry to nascent device markets that are developed as art form.

An Apple tablet will not be the first device in an emerging device market. But it will be the best device in that market when released.

Remember: A primary goal is to extend the market for platform developers. There’s enough for Apple to do in the roll out of the 3G S and for the back-to-school season. A tablet will come at an appropriate time. There’s no reason to confuse consumers nor confound the market before the 3G S rollout is essentially complete and students purchase their technology gear for the fall semester.

Not to create speculation, but can you imagine an Apple tablet hitting the market around the time of the commercial release of Windows 7?

• Posted: 13 June 2009 05:02 PM #8

danthemason - 13 June 2009 06:38 PM

If it is too big to hold with one hand comfortably for any length of time, and it works better with a stand on a flat surface it needs to be either an iPhone or a 13” Macbook Pro. Both of these also look great on a coffee table. This would be Apple’s first product since the lime green iMac that I cannot see myself wanting or owning. It just doesn’t seem like Apple to go there ” because everyone else is doing it”. Count me agnostic to this class of machine.

I’m kind of in the same camp, but if there is great integration with Apple TV, maybe this machine also controls the living room (lying flat on a coffee table), and as a reader (a Kindle-killer), I might be further tempted.

• Posted: 13 June 2009 05:03 PM #9

rattyuk - 13 June 2009 03:51 PM

I could be wrong willrob, but I thought iPhone OS ran Tiger - not sure about OS 3.0

I’m not sure a tablet would have to run the same version of OS as the iPhone?biggeer space=bigger chips=bigger OS?

• Posted: 13 June 2009 05:12 PM #10

willrob - 13 June 2009 08:03 PM

I’m not sure a tablet would have to run the same version of OS as the iPhone?biggeer space=bigger chips=bigger OS?

I would expect a tablet to run the iPhone OS. There’s no reason to confuse the market and no reason to release an intermediate OS between the iPhone OS and Snow Leopard. A primary goal of a tablet device is to expand apps sales for Apple and its developer community.

• Posted: 13 June 2009 09:05 PM #11

I?m kind of in the same camp, but if there is great integration with Apple TV, maybe this machine also controls the living room (lying flat on a coffee table), and as a reader (a Kindle-killer), I might be further tempted.

Well maybe on the coffee table if it turns off the lights, waters the grass and turns on the security system. Along with handling the movies and TV playlist. Maybe?

• Posted: 14 June 2009 02:04 PM #12

Here’s a brief but persuasive case for 2009 shipping, and pre-announcement in the near future at a special event hosted by SJ (as the iPhone was pre-announced).

This (and/or Apple TV) may be the first device to use Apple’s new PA Semi SOC that we presume is under development (it’s too high risk to use it first in iPhone). It seems likely to have an OLED screen, in part to emphasise its difference from what has gone before, in part to provide cellphone levels of battery life (days). I would like it to run a multi-user version of iPhone OS X. I would like to leave these lying round the house, automatically syncing the calendar, email etc of the user accounts with mobileme. So anyone can pick one up, read the news, check his/her diary; operate iTunes/AppleTV. Or indeed take one out for the day to use like an iPhone. But we’ll probably have to wait longer for the full experience.

• Posted: 14 June 2009 02:33 PM #13

sleepytoo - 14 June 2009 05:04 PM

Here’s a brief but persuasive case for 2009 shipping, and pre-announcement in the near future at a special event hosted by SJ (as the iPhone was pre-announced).

This (and/or Apple TV) may be the first device to use Apple’s new PA Semi SOC that we presume is under development (it’s too high risk to use it first in iPhone). It seems likely to have an OLED screen, in part to emphasise its difference from what has gone before, in part to provide cellphone levels of battery life (days). I would like it to run a multi-user version of iPhone OS X. I would like to leave these lying round the house, automatically syncing the calendar, email etc of the user accounts with mobileme. So anyone can pick one up, read the news, check his/her diary; operate iTunes/AppleTV. Or indeed take one out for the day to use like an iPhone. But we’ll probably have to wait longer for the full experience.

Personally, I’d like to see an Apple tablet debut for commercial release the same day as Windows 7.  LOL

I don’t see a need for the same pre-announcement period as the iPhone (announced in ads in late-February, available for purchase late June).

Here’s why:

There isn’t significant competition in the space as existed in the smart phone market.

There are already tens of thousands of apps available for a tablet running iPhone OS 3.0

Apple is in the midst of the 3G S roll out and the beginnings of the back-to-school shopping season. No reason to sidetrack consumers.

The product would need to start with a couple of marquee apps and perhaps a couple/few big title games. The games are already coming along for the iPhone.  Apple can create the marquee apps on its own. Tens of thousands of existing iPhone apps and games are already a major selling point.

Having Steve Jobs announce the new product immediately upon his return would send the wrong signal IMHO. The goal is to position the company in a way that it’s perceived while it’s great to have him at the helm, his active involvement isn’t necessary to develop, announce or release new and innovative products. I suggest (if this product is available to ship for Christmas 2009), a mid-to-late August announcement and a mid-October ship date.

The retail framework is already in place, tens of thousands of apps are already available and there’s no reason to sidetrack attention during the roll out of the iPhone 3G S and the back-to-school purchase season.

Posted: 14 June 2009 07:45 PM #14

According to Andy Ihnatko in 2007, it runs Leopard.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 14 June 2009 08:27 PM #15

DawnTreader - 14 June 2009 05:33 PM

Having Steve Jobs announce the new product immediately upon his return would send the wrong signal IMHO. The goal is to position the company in a way that it’s perceived while it’s great to have him at the helm, his active involvement isn’t necessary to develop, announce or release new and innovative products. I suggest (if this product is available to ship for Christmas 2009), a mid-to-late August announcement and a mid-October ship date.

Having Steve Jobs announce the product for Apple to move beyond him. I’d rather see SJ act as emcee for an event and introduce one of the other executives to showcase/demonstrate the product. SJ can then continue to talk about the product and bring others on stage after the initial intro.

BTW, I think post-Labor Day Sept event; either Sept 8 or 15

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale