Tablets start to arrive

Posted: 15 June 2009 12:39 AM #16

sleepytoo - 14 June 2009 05:04 PM

Here’s a brief but persuasive case for 2009 shipping, and pre-announcement in the near future at a special event hosted by SJ (as the iPhone was pre-announced) ...

I like his AAPL forecast:

“So now let?s talk price targets. The announcement of Steve Jobs’ return in conjunction with a product announcement pushes this stock up to $170. The announcement of a China iPhone deal pushes it up to $180. And holiday sales expectations to be released in January of 2010 could push it over $200. Trade accordingly. The biggest pop could come by the end of July.”

He is the second person to expect AAPL to be $200 by end of July.  Pumping or they’ve reliable info?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 15 June 2009 12:55 AM #17

Mace - 15 June 2009 03:39 AM

Here’s a brief but persuasive case for 2009 shipping, and pre-announcement in the near future at a special event hosted by SJ (as the iPhone was pre-announced) ...

“So now let?s talk price targets. The announcement of Steve Jobs’ return in conjunction with a product announcement pushes this stock up to $170. The announcement of a China iPhone deal pushes it up to $180. And holiday sales expectations to be released in January of 2010 could push it over $200. Trade accordingly. The biggest pop could come by the end of July.”

He is the second person to expect AAPL to be $200 by end of July.  Pumping or they’ve reliable info?

It will only come true if the market keeps going up.  Lets see what happens between now and December.

• Posted: 15 June 2009 02:18 AM #18

omacvi - 15 June 2009 03:55 AM
    Mace - 15 June 2009 03:39 AM

It will only come true if the market keeps going up.  Lets see what happens between now and December.

I do see AAPL reaching a new high within 12 months whether a tablet in announced in the near-term or is released now later. Of course, overall market conditions are a wild card.

By the way, I make no claim as to the form factor for this new product. I simply suspect a device with a larger screen than the current iPhone and iPod touch will be released that takes advantage of the iPhone/iPod touch apps and flattens demand for netbooks.

Posted: 15 June 2009 09:23 AM #19

I don’t hear anyone talking about them giving the Apple TV the ability to use iPhone apps (control it from your Touch, iPhone or maybe even tablet). Now, that’s something that I would use. Can these apps scale up to the big screen? How hard would this be to do?

• Posted: 15 June 2009 11:05 AM #20

Crunchpad

Final prototype (maybe)

• Posted: 15 June 2009 12:34 PM #21

I’m not in the agnostic camp, I’m in the “no way” camp. Maybe I’m small minded but who needs a tablet? What can you do with it that you can’t do with a laptop or iPod touch? Smaller? OK sure, but with no keyboard and it’s a Kindle. With keyboard and it’s a laptop. With a 10+ inch screen and an iPhone keypad? Yuck. And double yuck keeping it clean.

While I know all of Mac geekdom want’s a game changer from Apple, I just don’t think, Apple will think, a tablet is the way to go. How will it NOT take sales away from either iPod touch or Macbooks? You don’t need both. But you DO need a Macbook and an AppleTV or an iMac and an iPhone.

I don’t think they’ll come out with a replacement product until they feel like they’ve saturated the market with their current products. Tablets from HP, Toshiba etc. have not taken over for their laptop sales, so why would Apple risk replacing their current sales with sales of a new class of product unless they plan on giving up on the old class?

• Posted: 15 June 2009 02:06 PM #22

ctopher - 15 June 2009 03:34 PM

I don’t think they’ll come out with a replacement product until they feel like they’ve saturated the market with their current products. Tablets from HP, Toshiba etc. have not taken over for their laptop sales, so why would Apple risk replacing their current sales with sales of a new class of product unless they plan on giving up on the old class?

A tablet isn’t intended current product sales but extend the app franchise into new markets. I’d buy an Apple tablet that can run tens of thousands of iPhone apps as well as serve as a portable news reader, book reader, and Internet device. It nicely replaces the need for a netbook or a Kindle.

The day the tablet is announced I may order five or six and I’ll keep buying iPhones and Macs as I need them.

The goal is to extend the opportunities for developers to sell apps while provide a device that replaces the need for a cheap laptop. It would be a new class of product for Apple, not a replacement for an existing line.

Posted: 15 June 2009 02:10 PM #23

DawnTreader - 15 June 2009 05:06 PM
    ctopher - 15 June 2009 03:34 PM

A tablet isn’t intended current product sales but extend the app franchise into new markets. I’d buy an Apple tablet that can run tens of thousands of iPhone apps as well as serve as a portable news reader, book reader, and Internet device. It nicely replaces the need for a netbook or a Kindle.

The day the tablet is announced I may order five or six and I’ll keep buying iPhones and Macs as I need them.

The goal is to extend the opportunities for developers to sell apps while provide a device that replaces the need for a cheap laptop. It would be a new class of product for Apple, not a replacement for an existing line.

I visualize an Apple Tablet being little more than a larger iPod Touch;  possibly serving a similar purpose as the 14” iBook.  It would be nice if the tablet could run TextEdit though; running iWork would be nicer though but I’m not sure if the processor could handle it.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 15 June 2009 03:04 PM #24

I think that such a tablet would run the full MacOS X.  With a device which presumably will have a meaty processor and sizable battery, some of the restrictions of the iPhone OS wouldn’t make sense, especially the soapbox-isolation and ban on multitasking.  By sticking Snow Leopard on the device, it can be a fully fledged computer which I think will make it more compelling for the $500+ price point.  Additionally, presenting a multi-touch device that runs MacOS will position apple to make a smooth curve to add multi touch to all their computers.
    Some of the recent changes in iLife (particularly skimming from ‘08) seem to me to be more intuitive to a touch paradigm than a mouse one, and I am sure that apple is at least considering a plan to roll out multi-touch for macs.  IMHO, with just having iLife being touch based, apple could create a compelling case for touch and present it in a new light.

However, I’m skeptical that the device won’t have a keyboard.  While apple is likely right that on a pocket device, a virtual keyboard is better than a physical one (which the Pre confirmed nicely) this case falls apart when a keyboard reaches full size- especially because without tactile feedback touch-typing becomes difficult and inaccurate.  The full computer notion and virtual keyboard are incompatible.  Touch is a great way to replace the mouse, but not the keyboard.

I think the sweet spot here is a convertible tablet.  While not as thin and sexy as a straight tablet, this will give them multi-touch full computers which I think would be a compelling product.  They would fill the now moribund MacBook line and possibly offer sizes from 10-11” up to 14”(and possibly one even smaller like the Vaio P)  With iLife and touch being the primary drivers of these new macs, they would initially appeal to consumers and students.

Best of all, this plan would allow apple to create a netbook without saying netbook.  imagine SJ (or PS) saying “By adding multi-touch to the Mac, and doing away with the trackpad, we were able to create the smallest and most portable mac notebook ever, without sacrificing usability, or making it feel cramped.”

• Posted: 16 June 2009 02:52 PM #25

DawnTreader - 15 June 2009 05:06 PM

Wow, with customers like you, who needs the rest of the consumer world? smile

I don’t have enough time in my day to use the iPod and Mac that I’ve got now. I wouldn’t purchase another OS X machine just because I can. But that’s me. Everyone’s needs are different.

My “Mother-In-Law” marketing says that tablets are tired. iPhone works because of shirt pocket portability. MacBooks work because they give you nearly all the power of a desktop. A tablet? Well it’s a compromise no matter how you look at it. Except for those folks who don’t want it to be a compromise, and then you have a glorified Portege M750-ST7258. Ok so you didn’t know that a M750-ST7258 was a tablet. You’ll say it’s because it’s name is awful and it hasn’t been marketed by the likes of Steven Jobs. Sure, but will that and OS X be enough of a differentiator? My inexpert opinion says no.

• Posted: 16 June 2009 03:32 PM #26

I have a household full of students and avid readers. I can’t keep them in books. A tablet that functions as an eBook reader would be a welcome device. Combining a more than satisfactory eBook reader with a device that also takes advantage of iPhone apps would be superb. The presumed cost savings on books alone (and the ability to read curriculum content for school) would make this device a winner in our household.

Posted: 16 June 2009 03:36 PM #27

DawnTreader - 16 June 2009 06:32 PM

I have a household full of students and avid readers. I can’t keep them in books.

I resemble that. My wife just read the entire Twilight series in 3 days (fortunately borrowed). I don’t even want to “buy” books for my daughter because she reads through them so fast.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 16 June 2009 04:04 PM #28

Play Ultimate - 16 June 2009 06:36 PM

I have a household full of students and avid readers. I can’t keep them in books.

I resemble that. My wife just read the entire Twilight series in 3 days (fortunately borrowed). I don’t even want to “buy” books for my daughter because she reads through them so fast.

I’m excited about the prospects for an Apple tablet. I’ll use that instead of replacing my aging PowerBook. I envision a device I could take to and from work as a laptop alternative and purchase for the readers in our household. The price of popular and recently published books has risen to a point eBook will be a cost-effective alternative and the ability to use iTunes gift cards for eBooks, music, movies and apps is an attractive solution.

• Posted: 16 June 2009 09:26 PM #29

I have a household full of students and avid readers. I can’t keep them in books. A tablet that functions as an eBook reader would be a welcome device. Combining a more than satisfactory eBook reader with a device that also takes advantage of iPhone apps would be superb. The presumed cost savings on books alone (and the ability to read curriculum content for school) would make this device a winner in our household.

So do you think you and Play Ultimate represent the tip of an iceberg for the tablet market? What about e-book readers? Kindle, Sony etc. From what I’ve seen, these are the screens to read books from. And of course those are niche markets. Not a big consumer market.

Now that said, an e-book reader is exactly the sort of thing Apple could come out with an take the market. I know Steven Jobs says no one reads anymore, but he said no one wants to watch video on an iPod and then here comes the video iPod.

But an e-book reader is NOT a tablet PC. It would not take away from MacBook or iPhone/iPod Touch sales.

Of course, I don’t know how apple can improve upon Wispernet and Amazon’s huge library, but if anyone COULD do it, Apple could. But I don’t think they will. And I don’t think that a tablet that also doubles as an e-book reader is a game changer and thus, I don’t think Apple will do either.

But I’m happy to be wrong, we can discuss this for years and not convince one that the other is right. But so far, your wish list doesn’t sound like a big enough market for Apple to attack.

If you want that kind of device Buy.com has a Nokia N810 on sale for $180! (Sorry, I’m not sure if you’re in the USA or not, if no, sorry for my provincial thinking…)

(So why DO they still sell the Apple TV? smile )

[ Edited: 16 June 2009 09:30 PM by ctopher ]      

Posted: 16 June 2009 10:12 PM #30

ctopher - 17 June 2009 12:26 AM

(So why DO they still sell the Apple TV? smile )

I think we see a new home media center before we see an iTablet. With the Snow Leopard and iPhone 3GS builds in the past, iPhone OS 3 will have a couple months to mature before they stretch it onto a tablet - maybe until next year’s refresh. In the meantime, Apple TV is going to become the “one media library to rule them all”, with Time Capsule functionality and multi-machine iTunes syncing.

Hey, one can dream! smile

Signature

Use your powers for good.