Apple “Jacket”

• Posted: 13 June 2009 01:30 PM

Hello good people in AFB cyber world, this is my first post to the board which I have followed for many years.  Though I have lost a great deal of capital the last twelve months I am still very excited about Apple and the potential for great gains in the near future.  There is much knowledge to be learned on this board, I will occasionally add what I think would be a great market or product for Apple in order to receive your opinion.  I will generally, stay away from the political and social opinions about economics and current events, as we are all grown men with different lifestyles and experiences, therefore differentiating views as to how such a great country has been screwed up so quickly. 
    What I do enjoy discussing is “Ideas”, and with that in mind and the topic being “hardware monetization” I would like your collective opinion on my answer to the netbook.  This product will make someone a great deal of money and could emerge as a completely new hardware platform.  I ask only that I receive a “heads up” as to the release of the product in order to benefit from the increase to the stock price, which is inevitable because—IT’s a DAMN GOOD IDEA.  I have a tee time at 2:00, (just learning the game of golf- I’m a tennis fanatic myself) If this is the right forum - let me know.

• Posted: 15 June 2009 12:26 AM #1

Well, after a very frustrating day on the golf course I have a new found respect for the game although golf still seems more like an art or than a sport.

To get back to my earlier post—I would like to spit out my idea about a new product category.  First off, there is no product out there which has the capabilities of my concept device.  How do I know ..well because Apple did not allow such a product until Iphone 3.0.  BUT..and that was a very big butt,..Apple would be the the very best company to design this product.  Why, because Apple can “APPLE IT” ..make it beautiful..make it unique..make it functional and most important..make it compatible.

Pay attention now, and I will lead you to the well.
    Apple really is in a dilemma in the sub- $1000 price category, for reasons mentioned by many people whether true or not.  But most net books just are not that cool, they got no flow and Apple has got that flow—it just costs at-least $900.  Any product they build (to there high standards) under $900 will likely hurt sales to there current lineup….unless..and here goes. 

My new product category I call the “JACKET”

The jacket is a mini computer similar to the nintendo ds game console, with one Big Difference, the Iphone takes the place of the monitor… Iphone (or Itouch) snaps into place horizontally (fits like a jacket) and now it is a whole new ballgame.  Basically the same size as the phone. The Jacket will have a keyboard, a battery pack, a front facing video camera, gamer controls, memory, TV tuner, USB port, anything you want..maybe even an additional processor to carry the load for the best portable gaming unit ever.  And when your done, slide out the Iphone and put it back in your pocket.  Game Over PSP,  BlackBerry what?!! Tell me again why in need a BIG Net Book?!!  What a Christmas present.  Gez, I need one right now.  I know they can build this for under $300 ( the mini is $600).   

Apple can do it and it would be HUGE> there could be many jackets specialized for any category ..Gamers, Corporate, kids, everybody and anybody that owns an IPhone or ITouch will have to have one, WHY?  Because Apple will make look like it came right out of a James Bond flick.  And the functionality will be dominating.

What do you think?

Posted: 15 June 2009 12:57 AM #2

brownnatl - 15 June 2009 03:26 AM

... and that was a very big butt,..Apple would be the the very best company to design this product.  Why, because Apple can “APPLE IT” ..make it beautiful..make it unique..make it functional and most important..make it compatible ... My new product category I call the “JACKET”

The jacket is a mini computer similar to the nintendo ds game console, with one Big Difference, the Iphone takes the place of the monitor… Iphone (or Itouch) snaps into place horizontally (fits like a jacket) and now it is a whole new ballgame.  Basically the same size as the phone. The Jacket will have a keyboard, a battery pack, a front facing video camera, gamer controls, memory, TV tuner, USB port, anything you want..maybe even an additional processor to carry the load for the best portable gaming unit ever ... What do you think?

Apple would not make this butt :bugeyed: /mini computer rolleyes/ jacket/dock.  If Apple ever make one, it would be referred to as an iPhone accessory not a new product category.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 15 June 2009 01:32 PM #3

Mace - 15 June 2009 03:57 AM
    brownnatl - 15 June 2009 03:26 AM

... and that was a very big butt,..Apple would be the the very best company to design this product. Why, because Apple can “APPLE IT” ..make it beautiful..make it unique..make it functional and most important..make it compatible ... My new product category I call the “JACKET”

The jacket is a mini computer similar to the nintendo ds game console, with one Big Difference, the Iphone takes the place of the monitor… Iphone (or Itouch) snaps into place horizontally (fits like a jacket) and now it is a whole new ballgame. Basically the same size as the phone. The Jacket will have a keyboard, a battery pack, a front facing video camera, gamer controls, memory, TV tuner, USB port, anything you want..maybe even an additional processor to carry the load for the best portable gaming unit ever ... What do you think?

Apple would not make this butt :bugeyed: /mini computer rolleyes/ jacket/dock. If Apple ever make one, it would be referred to as an iPhone accessory not a new product category.

ACCESSORY..ACCESSORY are you kidding?!! Headphones are an accessory.
    I’m reading this discussion and I feel as if nobody understands the concept I am envisioning and I haven’t heard a response from many. Maybe I’m on the wrong topic.

Is a convertible top, an accessory, or a new car product category…would a transmission, seat and steering wheel installed on a lawnmower be accessories..or is it now a Riding Lawnmower. Which is the accessory, the phone or the Jacket, the lines will become blurred.
    In my opinion, this is the future, in some form or another. Why? Because the form factor is perfect. This transforms the Iphone into a communication/CPU/consumer unit which can integrate with a base unit which can be engineered cheaply because it will only provide the additional componets needed to build a complete powerful, portable, mini-computer for a diverse number of users (Transformer..sounds good).
    Netbooks are still to large to fit in your pocket, still to underpowered for high intensity applications like video conferencing, still don’t have communications outside of Wi-Fi range, but.. they do have large memory capacities, a fairly usable keyboard and decent processors. My Iphone3G.. doesn’t have a great keyboard, or large memory capacity (needs at least 60-120GB)or a removable media slot, a USP port, or a separate video processor, or a great speaker, or a TV tuner. But it does have a GPS unit, several ways to communicate anywhere, a hell of a nice video screen, lots of apps, lots of games, and it fits in my pocket.

A device engineered to work with the Iphone will overcome all of it’s shortcomings, why have a netbook and phone vs. a Iphone which fits into a specially made shell for additional protection, convenience, functionally, backup protection and is removable. A new class of products - not just for the IPhone but any Touchscreen phone manufacturer that can create the integration software needed. Someone call APPLE, before Nokia gets smart.

Accesories..please.

Is there anyone else who can give me an opinion on why this would not be a good product for APPLE.

• Posted: 15 June 2009 04:52 PM #4

I can’t answer for anyone else but this all seems rather apparent to me.  I thought the whole reason they allowed access to the dock connector was to encourage the after-market to make just these sorts of products.  I happen to believe that we’ll see all you describe plus many many more adaptations for even more specialized devices with narrower market applicability.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 15 June 2009 04:57 PM #5

Here’s a picture of an old Apple idea it is shown with an Imac and laptop but could easily be a Iphone and 10” screen.  The keyboard used OLED screen.

• Posted: 15 June 2009 06:13 PM #6

brownnatl - 15 June 2009 04:32 PM

Is there anyone else who can give me an opinion on why this would not be a good product for APPLE.

Because it’s bad design. It doesn’t have an identity or function of its own. Both it and the iPhone would be severely constrained in future development because each defines parameters of the other, yet they must be separately upgradable. It only sells to a small subset of existing customers who get an inferior combined product. It’s notebook docking stations all over again. Like an ear trumpet with a compass in the end, hardly anyone will buy it despite its multifunction usefulness. It’s horrible. Sorry, but designing Apple’s next product is not your forte.

You did ask . . .

• Posted: 15 June 2009 09:11 PM #7

sleepytoo - 15 June 2009 09:13 PM
    brownnatl - 15 June 2009 04:32 PM

Because it’s bad design. It doesn’t have an identity or function of its own. Both it and the iPhone would be severely constrained in future development because each defines parameters of the other, yet they must be separately upgradable. It only sells to a small subset of existing customers who get an inferior combined product. It’s notebook docking stations all over again. Like an ear trumpet with a compass in the end, hardly anyone will buy it despite its multifunction usefulness. It’s horrible. Sorry, but designing Apple’s next product is not your forte.

You did ask . . .

I appreciate your frankness.  I will quote you on your response only so that I can understand were talking apples to apples. 

“Because it’s a bad design” 
    The Iphone is a bad design? I don’t get it.  I’m not suggesting you re-design the Iphone or the Itouch, they’ve already sold over 30 mil units, and the Jacket has never even been designed.  The beauty of the Jacket is that APPLE only needs to add the software needed to to be compatible with the dock, as you put it.  But the marketing of the product could be incredibly effective.  The BlackBerry would suddenly be very old school.  Buy the Iphone for your own personnel use, add a Jacket and your all business (emails,word documents,video conferences).  Gamers would piss on themselves to add control inputs, a video chip, whatever.. I know my nephew would.  I’m not talking about an “inferior product” , I’m talking about an APPLE Product.  The Jacket will look and feel like a part of the Iphone , fold together with the Iphone (like a ladies compact) and add tremendous functionality in your pocket.  Sold separately, $295.00

“Both it and the iPhone would be severely constrained in future development because each defines parameters of the other, yet they must be separately upgradable.”

Again I say,  WHAT?!!  I own the Iphone, (and just about every other category of product APPLE make).  Newsflash: The Iphone, and any other electronic device .5 inches thick and only 3 inches long, is already severely constrained.  It’s those constraints that the Jacket will address.  I love my phone don’t get me wrong, but it would be nice to have; a flip down larger keyboard; a larger battery supply; a front facing camera; much larger storage capacity…the list goes on. But basically an Iphone/Netbook somedays when I don’t want to carry my laptop.

I could go on and on but I don’t think you will get it until you see one.  And then you will want one.

As far as this comment.
    “It only sells to a small subset of existing customers who get an inferior combined product.”

You really sound like that guy over at Microsoft.

• Posted: 15 June 2009 10:03 PM #8

yo brown, you have had an idea evaluated and critiqued by two outstanding members of a fine, generous, and free board. For a newbe you have a disturbing lack of grace, humility and basic manners. As I read it, your sophomoric idea was given more credit than it had coming.  Maybe another board would be a better use of your time.

• Posted: 15 June 2009 10:05 PM #9

brownnatl - 16 June 2009 12:11 AM

[...]

sg, the guy at Microsoft.  ROFL.

Posted: 15 June 2009 10:52 PM #10

I like the idea of the jacket. I’ll bet there will be a couple of companies that make one. There have been some great foldable docks for the iPod Video, that effectively make the iPod into a portable DVD player. The Jacket is the same thing, but for an iPhone. I see a design problem for whatever company that builds one - the iPhone and the iPod Touch have a different form factor. They’d have to build some kind of shimming system to keep the form and fit. Apple could probably put something like this together, but I don’t see it happening. Steve Jobs and Jonny Ive hate extra buttons, connectors, and the like. Simple, clean lines, less buttons, less moving parts - just a solid block of functionality. Will we see a Jacket? Probably. From Apple? Probably not.  Just my opinion though!  I’m digging my Dell Netbook running my favorite OS.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 15 June 2009 11:34 PM #11

Let us not forget a Bose Sounddock is already a jacket…,no wait, maybe an overcoat…,no, a parka…,never mind.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 15 June 2009 11:52 PM #12

danthemason - 16 June 2009 01:03 AM

yo brown, you have had an idea evaluated and critiqued by two outstanding members of a fine, generous, and free board. For a newbe you have a disturbing lack of grace, humility and basic manners. As I read it, your sophomoric idea was given more credit than it had coming.  Maybe another board would be a better use of your time.

Yo dan

I have been reading this blog since 2002-03 after I bought my first mac.  The critical analysis by certain members of AFB gave me enough confidence to invest in APPLE (30.0 per share) which has made me a tidy sum, I even said I was grateful.  But many of these fine and generous board members can be quite sharp with there criticism.  Really, just a bit to personal.  Thats why I never felt the need to post, I don’t get into pissing contests with strangers (what’s the point).  The AFB has turned a little more to the RIGHT it seems, very un-Apple-Like, not like the old days.

As far as my “sophomoric idea” one member agreed it was apparent that such concepts would be arriving with the software update, I believe that to be true. My wish is that APPLE would be first so I can get back more of my retirement savings.  And now that I have enlightened the forum with my prediction, I will step back, that was always the plan (I have another sport to master).
    I HAVE GIVEN BACK TO THE COMMUNITY.  We will soon see.

Is MICROSOFT a curse word?