deleted

• Posted: 15 June 2009 07:44 PM

deleted

[ Edited: 09 June 2012 11:03 AM by blue sequoia ]      

Posted: 15 June 2009 08:09 PM #1

blue sequoia - 15 June 2009 10:44 PM

I’d like to see Apple announce a cheaper iPod touch in the $99-150 range

That pricing won’t leave any room for the nano or shuffle. I could see the 8GB come down to $199 and compete with the 16GB Nano. However, Apple traditionally has maintained its price points. Thus we may see 16/32/64 Touchs.
    Or RAM may remain the same and new features, such as a camera, are added.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 15 June 2009 08:28 PM #2

I’d be surprised to see Touch prices come down any.  Remember that the 99.00 iPhone is more like a 500.00 iPhone without the ATT subsidy.  The Touch is already one of the great tech bargains of all time.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 15 June 2009 09:31 PM #3

BillH - 15 June 2009 11:28 PM

I’d be surprised to see Touch prices come down any.  Remember that the 99.00 iPhone is more like a 500.00 iPhone without the ATT subsidy.  The Touch is already one of the great tech bargains of all time.

I also think they need to separate the different models irrespective of the iphone pricing.  The question is how much longer will memory capacity be the variable Apple uses to differentiate models.  If they keep a 8GB touch do they leave it as last years model and give it away at a reduced price to get more of the DSi and PSP market?  I would suggest a 8GB touch for $179 or $199 might make a perfect Christmas gift .  The PSP Go with 16 GB has a MSRP of 249.99 The Nintendo DSi lists for 169.99 and who knows what price Mr Softie will pick for the ZuneHD :groucho: .  I would assume the new versions will get the same processor/GPU combo of the current Iphone.  Will they add the GPS to go after Garmin or a video camera to take on the likes of the Flip HD.  I would expect at least one model with 64GB of flash but I don’t think Apple will EOL the classic since flash memory is still too expensive for folks with a large collection.  As far as the nano it’s due for a bluetooth/wifi chip so you can use it with the Nike Plus and WIFI for wireless sync

• Posted: 15 June 2009 11:55 PM #4

pats - 16 June 2009 12:31 AM
    BillH - 15 June 2009 11:28 PM

I also think they need to separate the different models irrespective of the iphone pricing.  The question is how much longer will memory capacity be the variable Apple uses to differentiate models.  If they keep a 8GB touch do they leave it as last years model and give it away at a reduced price to get more of the DSi and PSP market?  I would suggest a 8GB touch for $179 or $199 might make a perfect Christmas gift .  The PSP Go with 16 GB has a MSRP of 249.99 The Nintendo DSi lists for 169.99 and who knows what price Mr Softie will pick for the ZuneHD :groucho: .  I would assume the new versions will get the same processor/GPU combo of the current Iphone.  Will they add the GPS to go after Garmin or a video camera to take on the likes of the Flip HD.  I would expect at least one model with 64GB of flash but I don’t think Apple will EOL the classic since flash memory is still too expensive for folks with a large collection.  As far as the nano it’s due for a bluetooth/wifi chip so you can use it with the Nike Plus and WIFI for wireless sync

I really agree with all of this except I think Apple now has more pricing power.  We’re kind of back to the earlier days (not that it’s changed) when a kid that was wanting an iPod for Christmas wouldn’t look kindly upon receiving a Zen.  Likewise, if their heart is set on a Touch than a DSi would be pretty unacceptable.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 16 June 2009 04:39 AM #5

blue sequoia - 15 June 2009 10:44 PM

Apple most likely has learned that the market for the iPod Touch is a separate/distinct market from the iPhone so that the two products don’t really compete on sales numbers (why would anyone own both?).

I have two household members that use both an iPhone and an iPod touch. The touch is used for games, music and school research via of WiFi. The phone is used for phone calls and text messaging, a bit of music, directions when needed and an occasional game.

Why? I want the phones to last the full two years of the contracts.

• Posted: 16 June 2009 12:22 PM #6

The 8Gig iPhone is cheaper than the iPod Touch?for a few months. By the fourth month of your contract, you’ve spent more on your iPhone than you would have on an iPod touch.

Signature

“The Artist, seeking Beauty, discovers Truth;
    The Scientist, seeking Truth, discovers Beauty.”

• Posted: 17 June 2009 11:50 AM #7

ericmurphy - 16 June 2009 03:22 PM

The 8Gig iPhone is cheaper than the iPod Touch?for a few months. By the fourth month of your contract, you’ve spent more on your iPhone than you would have on an iPod touch.

E.Murphy’s right. I think apple understands the customers are smart enough to look at TOC in considering this purchase.

quick real price breakdown(minimums as listed on ATT’s site)
    $99 phone includes 2 years of services from ATT, thus, the subsidy.
    Plus $36 activation. =$135

Then you pay $75 each month(minimum) for 24 months. ($1800)
    $40 for up to 450 minutes
    $30 Data plan.(required)
    $5 for 200 text

Your $99 phone quickly becomes a $1935 phone, or a new 13” Macbook Pro plus iPod touch:) *Dang.. I really like one of those for my birthday, I hope my wife is reading this:)*

ATT is lending you $400 upfront so that they can make $1500 for providing you a service you didn’t know you needed till after you’ve paid for it:)  You quickly become addicted to your new iPhone. Bamm! They’ve got a customer for life:)

Posted: 17 June 2009 12:03 PM #8

gezebo - 17 June 2009 02:50 PM

E.Murphy’s right. I think apple understands the customers are smart enough to look at TOC in considering this purchase.

$30 Data plan.(required)
    $5 for 200 text

Your $99 phone quickly becomes a $1935 phone, or a new 13” Macbook Pro plus iPod touch:) *Dang.. I really like one of those for my birthday, I hope my wife is reading this:)*

ATT is lending you $400 upfront so that they can make $1500 for providing you a service you didn’t know you needed till after you’ve paid for it:)  You quickly become addicted to your new iPhone. Bamm! They’ve got a customer for life:)

The numbers are all fine but you can make the same argument for the Touch.  I pay Comcast 42.95 per month for broadband.  Do I include this cost in the price of the Touch because without wifi it is much less useful. Realistically the only additional charge is the data.  The text messages and voice plan existed on your previous phone.  The jump from feature phone to smart phone is really $30 per month for mobile data on ATT and similar price on Verizon.

• Posted: 17 June 2009 12:21 PM #9

pats - 17 June 2009 03:03 PM
    gezebo - 17 June 2009 02:50 PM

$30 Data plan.(required)
    $5 for 200 text

The numbers are all fine but you can make the same argument for the Touch.  I pay Comcast 42.95 per month for broadband.  Do I include this cost in the price of the Touch because without wifi it is much less useful. Realistically the only additional charge is the data.  The text messages and voice plan existed on your previous phone.  The jump from feature phone to smart phone is really $30 per month for mobile data on ATT and similar price on Verizon.

Well, one difference is that presumably hardly anyone pays Comcast just so they can have wifi for their iPod Touch. I have three Macs right now; I don’t have to pay Comcast for each Mac individually. I could have an iPod Touch for me and one for my wife, plus the three computers, and I’d still be paying the same to Comcast.

By contrast, I can’t share my AT&T calling plan with multiple iPhones. As I understand it, you do get a break on price for multiple phones on the same account, but you still can’t connect three iPhones to AT&T’s network for the price of one, the way you can with the iPod Touch.

Signature

“The Artist, seeking Beauty, discovers Truth;
    The Scientist, seeking Truth, discovers Beauty.”

Posted: 17 June 2009 12:44 PM #10

I agree that it is not a true comparison, but especially since most people use the Itouch on a fixed network.  A similar solution exists for a mobile network via a device like   Mifi .  Also once tethering is available you will be able to share the mobile connection.  The point I’m trying to make is the touch incurs data charges just like the iphone.  A fixed broadband network is cheaper to operate then a mobile broadband network and so ATT et all charge for the access. The problem for Apple is ATT does not offer an Iphone without a data charge.  You can jailbreak an Iphone and use it like a touch with a voice only plan but this is hardly mainstream and one of the greatest benefits of the smartphone is mobile access to your data.  Comparing the $99 Iphone vs the $229 Itouch is more a marketing thing.  Folks walk into a Walmart and see a $99 Iphone vs a $229 touch and guess what they will buy the $99 Iphone to replace their existing Cell Phone because they get all this great stuff plus a phone.  You would be amazed at the number of people who don’t look at the monthly charge and are only concerned about the upfront cost.  Look at the number of people who don’t blink an eye at financing a car which they really can’t afford.

• Posted: 17 June 2009 02:37 PM #11

ericmurphy - 17 June 2009 03:21 PM

By contrast, I can’t share my AT&T calling plan with multiple iPhones. As I understand it, you do get a break on price for multiple phones on the same account, but you still can’t connect three iPhones to AT&T’s network for the price of one, the way you can with the iPod Touch.

I currently have 4 iPhones (soon to be 5) on my AT&T plan. We get along fine on 2100 shared minutes a month (with hefty rollover minutes accrued most months). My nominal cost for each iPhone added is about $40 per month, $10 for the handset and $30 for the data plan. The plan is covered by a $30 per month unlimited texting on all lines. The economics of the family plan are almost unreal. Adding to the iPhone’s usability, we have the MobileMe Family Pack.

The students in the family make regular use of the data services on their iPhones during school for homework and research. The iPhones make conference calling available (which can be a priceless feature when corralling our kids) and each one has the benefit of the iPhone’s map abilities and directional assistance (I consider those to be safety features). As mobile communications systems for a large household the features, functions and prices can’t be beat.

To make the cost discussion more realistic, every member of the household must have a phone. There’s no discretion on the matter. For safety alone cell phones are a necessary fact of life. Let’s say none of us had smart phones and we all used basic, run-of-the mill cell phones. I’d still be looking at $175 or more per month for a family cell phone plan and the monthly charges for the additional handsets.

My “real” cost for the iPhones (or any smart phone other than the iPhone) is the data plan charges which would exist for any smart phone chosen. The additional data charges are not unique to the iPhone. Consequently, there’s no added costs for using iPhones versus other smart phones.

Now for some of the cost-saving benefits of being being a Mac and iPhone owner. All commercial music, movies and other purchased content can be shared among all household members. There’s no duplication of purchases. MobileMe at $30 per year, per user under the Family Pack arrangement is a screaming deal for contact management, cloud storage of school work and now such features as “find my iPhone.”

• Posted: 17 June 2009 05:14 PM #12

DawnTreader - 17 June 2009 05:37 PM
    ericmurphy - 17 June 2009 03:21 PM

I currently have 4 iPhones (soon to be 5) on my AT&T plan. We get along fine on 2100 shared minutes a month (with hefty rollover minutes accrued most months). My nominal cost for each iPhone added is about $40 per month, $10 for the handset and $30 for the data plan. The plan is covered by a $30 per month unlimited texting on all lines. The economics of the family plan are almost unreal. Adding to the iPhone’s usability, we have the MobileMe Family Pack.

The students in the family make regular use of the data services on their iPhones during school for homework and research. The iPhones make conference calling available (which can be a priceless feature when corralling our kids) and each one has the benefit of the iPhone’s map abilities and directional assistance (I consider those to be safety features). As mobile communications systems for a large household the features, functions and prices can’t be beat.

To make the cost discussion more realistic, every member of the household must have a phone. There’s no discretion on the matter. For safety alone cell phones are a necessary fact of life. Let’s say none of us had smart phones and we all used basic, run-of-the mill cell phones. I’d still be looking at $175 or more per month for a family cell phone plan and the monthly charges for the additional handsets.

My “real” cost for the iPhones (or any smart phone other than the iPhone) is the data plan charges which would exist for any smart phone chosen. The additional data charges are not unique to the iPhone. Consequently, there’s no added costs for using iPhones versus other smart phones.

Now for some of the cost-saving benefits of being being a Mac and iPhone owner. All commercial music, movies and other purchased content can be shared among all household members. There’s no duplication of purchases. MobileMe at $30 per year, per user under the Family Pack arrangement is a screaming deal for contact management, cloud storage of school work and now such features as “find my iPhone.”

Sounds like a great deal.. I’m curious to know what your monthly bill is?  I might just have to switch carriers and get the iPhone 3g.

Posted: 19 June 2009 11:51 AM #13

Keep in mind that Apple understands the pricing/demand ratio of their products better then most.

I think there is still plenty of demand for the touch for two reasons.  Some of you already made reference to them.

First off there are many more who want an iPhone but are not willing to switch carriers.  Thus they get a touch.

Secondly there are enough iPod owners who own the older iPods and want to upgrade.  At this point I think those buying iPods are mostly upgrades.  Apple average between 9 to 10 million iPods every quarter and that is very impressive in this economy.

Posted: 19 June 2009 12:21 PM #14

omacvi - 19 June 2009 02:51 PM

Keep in mind that Apple understands the pricing/demand ratio of their products better then most.

I think there is still plenty of demand for the touch for two reasons.  Some of you already made reference to them.

First off there are many more who want an iPhone but are not willing to switch carriers.  Thus they get a touch.

Secondly there are enough iPod owners who own the older iPods and want to upgrade.  At this point I think those buying iPods are mostly upgrades.  Apple average between 9 to 10 million iPods every quarter and that is very impressive in this economy.

Not to nitpic but the average is not between 9 to 10M

Q3 08 11011
    Q4 08 11,052
    Q1 09 22,727
    Q2 09 11,013

I know you provide a range but every quarter in the last year has been over 11M.  I agree with you basic point that there is still a huge market for the IPOD/ITouch.