Microsoft Scared of Safari?

• Posted: 18 June 2009 08:31 AM

This has appeared on the Internets:

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/ie8/competition/

Microsoft Australia are running a competition for $10,000 AUS. BUT only if you use IE8.

“But you’ll never find it using boring Safari.
    (So get rid of it, or get lost.)

So you are in? Great, here’s what you need to do:

1) Ditch the web browser you’re using. If you try and find the $10,000 with Safari you’ll get nowhere.

2) Download Microsoft’s best ever browser, Internet Explorer 8. It’s the only browser capable of cracking all the clues.

I thought Safari was the MOST compatible browser - Microsoft wouldn’t be trying to taint the Internet using non-standard features (again) would they?

EDIT: the page is different if you are using different web browsers but all are saying YOU MUST USE IE8.

Signature

• Posted: 18 June 2009 02:39 PM #1

Not sure, but I think this competition might not be legal in the UK, because it requires a Microsoft product purchase (Windows XP or Vista) to take part.

The claim that Safari won’t work is going to be mercilessly ridiculed by standards supporting web experts. Not just 6 times slower than Safari, but also only passes one in five of the Acid3 standard compliance tests.

• Posted: 18 June 2009 02:44 PM #2

Huh! Competition is completely unrelated to IE8! Read the small print and you can get the clues via Twitter (no IE8 required). Avoids the product purchase requirement, and saves everyone the trouble of downloading IE8.

• Posted: 18 June 2009 02:46 PM #3

sleepytoo - 18 June 2009 05:44 PM

Huh! Competition is completely unrelated to IE8! Read the small print and you can get the clues via Twitter (no IE8 required). Avoids the product purchase requirement, and saves everyone the trouble of downloading IE8.

Classic Bait and Switch then - well done Microsoft! (not)

Signature

• Posted: 18 June 2009 03:10 PM #4

Back to the original question:

I’m sure MSFT is worried about Safari. Windows Mobile is a virtual technology no show and as Safari and Firefox (among the list of modern browsers) gradually and continuously nibble at MSFT browser share it further erodes the company’s clout. Safari for the iPhone provides for a very pleasant browsing experience.

The latest iteration of Safari (4) is impressive for speed and ease of use. I’m finding in my work IE isn’t working as well on the sites I create and I refuse to change code to accommodate MSFT’s proprietary approach.

It’s an old, sad story, but this time MSFT is coming up on the losing end of the browser wars.