AT&T Data Plan and Texting

• Posted: 20 June 2009 02:24 PM

The reason I did not originally upgrade to a 3G was the $30 data plan plus texting at $5 for 200 and $15 for 1500.  If you text that adds $15 to the monthly fee.  My wife and I would pay $30 extra a month to have texting on our 3G family plan.  I couldn’t resist and still upgraded to the 3G-s.

Now, with 3.0, the textfree application allows push texting on their app.  For $5.99 you can text for free for 1 year.  This app is good for all phone on the itunes account.  It works across other carriers pretty well once you get the other person to recognize your number.  The lag is a few seconds to a minute later than AT & T.
    Textfree lite can be tried for free before upgrading.

AT & T, in their greed, has just lost a lot of “extra” fees from iPhone accounts.  Apple has again added value to their phone by eliminating a required fee from the carriers.

I am awaiting the “call free unlimited app”. smile

[ Edited: 21 June 2009 06:47 AM by DawnTreader ]

Signature

learn, unlearn, and relearn

• Posted: 20 June 2009 03:43 PM #1

I got 2 iphones for my kids.  Couldn’t resist.  We are finally on the iphone bandwagon.  As for me, still using the Touch.  The kids gave up text messaging plan for iphone data plan.  There’s more value with iphone data plan.

Posted: 20 June 2009 06:28 PM #2

Cel phone carriers.  What can you do.

This isn’t really OT because things like monthly fees, fee structures and just plain complexity/fine print are having a significant, if maybe-not-easily-quantifiable, impact on smartphone/iPhone uptake.  Apple has “made” the entry price attractive enough through subsidies, but carriers like AT&T aren’t really helping much.  And it would seem that AT&T, still in the middle of the exclusive deal and clearly benefitting from the iPhone gravitational pull, doesn’t feel the need to be a little more competitive price-wise here and there.

On the other hand, if AT&T managed to lower monthly fees $15-20/month some way or another (whether it be “rebundling” 200 included text messages in the data plan, reducing the 3G data plan to $20 even if bandwidth-capped, more minutes for less, etc.), that’s more strain on their not-so-great network that they probably can’t handle right now. 

On the other other hand, there’s the matter of the true cost of iPhones, given the estimates that Apple makes terrific margins on them.  Cost/quality control, margin and sales volume expectations…plug Apple Inc. into the mix and things get even more complicated. 

Apple may be a disruptive force in tech, but making the smartphone market more consumer-friendly?  I’m not holding my breath.

[ Edited: 20 June 2009 06:57 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 21 June 2009 06:48 AM #3

Mav - 20 June 2009 09:28 PM

This isn’t really OT because things like monthly fees, fee structures and just plain complexity/fine print are having a significant, if maybe-not-easily-quantifiable, impact on smartphone/iPhone uptake.

Good point. smile

I’ve edited the topic title and removed the “OT.”