AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 21 June 2009 03:09 PM

I’m starting this topic a bit early this Sunday due to the overflow of news concerning the release of the 3G S iPhone and reports about SJ’s health. How will all of the news impact AAPL’s performance in early Monday trading?

[ Edited: 28 June 2009 03:44 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 21 June 2009 03:42 PM #1

Monday

R4         149.15
      midpoint   147.34
    R3       145.53
      midpoint   143.72
    R2       141.91
      midpoint   141.30
    R1       140.69
      midpoint   139.49
    PP       138.29
      midpoint   137.68
    S1       137.07
      midpoint   135.87
    S2       134.67
      midpoint   132.86
    S3       131.05
      midpoint   129.24
    S4       127.43

Posted: 21 June 2009 07:21 PM #2

Ok, Monday has a once in a year combo for AAPL.

Jobs and his medical matters.

Great iPhone launch.

What happens on Monday opening, a spike down, up, or nothing.

And how can one play this with options and buy/sell?

When will you know a trend, sort or intermediate is being laid down?

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 21 June 2009 08:11 PM #3

If there is going to be any panic selling, it will be noticeable in the PM. I wasn’t aware of the story until Saturday, but apparently the WSJ released it late on Friday, while the After Hours market was still open. AAPL rose another 30 cents, but I’m not sure those buyers were aware of the news. I think they were buying to be in for the iPhone 3GS.

If there is a sell off, I would expect the iPhone news to pull the price back up, if not on Monday, for sure by Tuesday. Especially if Apple releases some confirmation, and reintegrates (as they have been doing lately) that Jobs will return to work this month. If you think back to the days before the WWDC, you may recall the Steve Jobs sightings on the Apple Campus,  Woz reporting on his return to health, etc.

As many suspect, the news release may have been a deliberate Apple PR tactic aimed at softening the blow to the stock price once the news was outed. I think they now have a need to follow through and make it all official, giving details, possibly having Jobs himself make a statement.

I wish him well.

Posted: 22 June 2009 08:06 AM #4

willrob - 21 June 2009 11:11 PM

If there is going to be any panic selling, it will be noticeable in the PM. I wasn’t aware of the story until Saturday, but apparently the WSJ released it late on Friday, while the After Hours market was still open. AAPL rose another 30 cents, but I’m not sure those buyers were aware of the news. I think they were buying to be in for the iPhone 3GS.

I’m not so sure that the buying in the AH session was down to the iPhone, but more a reflection of what the futures were doing. There were probably a few shorts who got caught out and who were throwing in the towel just before the weekend.

So far today AAPL (and the futures) have fallen back. However, early moves don’t always give a good indication of how the rest of the day will pan out. It’s likely that the market-makers will yank the price down initially to see if they can get a downside move going, before picking up some cheap stock and walking the price back up.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 22 June 2009 09:26 AM #5

crossing from Briefing.com

AAPL Apple ests raised at Kaufman following iPhone launch (139.48 ) -Update-

Kaufman’s checks with industry and supply chain sources indicate that the iPhone 3G S launch was a success, given recessionary headwinds and stiffer competition; however, it may not match the high level of 1 mln units sold in the opening weekend from a yr ago. Nonetheless, they are raising estimates as they were overly conservative in their assumptions as they opted to factor in a July month launch, a draw down in inventory ahead of new iPhones and some customer pause ahead of it. For the June quarter, they are now assuming 3.8 mln iPhones (from 3 mln). Firm is now modeling $8.1 bln and $1.17 (from $7.9 bln and $1.06) vs. consensus at $8.1 bln and $1.14 in EPS.

Posted: 22 June 2009 09:40 AM #6

I think we are in for a volatile day. On the one hand you’ve got an upgrade and 1m iPhone 3GS sold and on the other, SJ’s transplant (if that is indeed what has happened).

The futures aren’t looking too bullish at present either, so that could take some wind out of the AAPL sails (unless they decide to get all bullish).

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 22 June 2009 09:40 AM #7

PreMarket is now up, and we see $140+

• Posted: 22 June 2009 09:48 AM #8

Apple announces they sold over 1,000,000 Iphones over the weekend. Didn’t most analysts only have them selling half that?

• Posted: 22 June 2009 10:03 AM #9

wildguess - 22 June 2009 12:48 PM

Apple announces they sold over 1,000,000 Iphones over the weekend. Didn’t most analysts only have them selling half that?

Yes. The announcement came with a quote from SJ himself:  “Customers are voting and the iPhone is winning,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “With over 50,000 applications available from Apple’s revolutionary App Store, iPhone momentum is stronger than ever.”

http://www.macworld.com/article/141282/2009/06/iphone3gssales.html

[ Edited: 22 June 2009 10:06 AM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 22 June 2009 10:10 AM #10

Please note:  one million iPhone 3G s sold in only 8 countries as opposed to the rollout last year in 22 countries!!!  making it all the more impressive

• Posted: 22 June 2009 10:15 AM #11

SNIPUS - 22 June 2009 01:10 PM

Please note:  one million iPhone 3G s sold in only 8 countries as opposed to the rollout last year in 22 countries!!!  making it all the more impressive

And the fact the lines were not out of control this time, suggesting a tamer launch in unit sales.

Another plus is that, unlike last year, regular customers were able to enter the Apple store this launch to buy other things.  The mania last year kept non-iPhone shoppers out of the Apple store unless they waited in line, which they didn’t do.  Clearly, Apple learned a thing or two from last year.

• Posted: 22 June 2009 10:21 AM #12

wildguess - 22 June 2009 12:48 PM

Actually the press release says 1,000,000 3GS iPhones were sold. No telling how many of the $99 3G went out the door.

• Posted: 22 June 2009 10:25 AM #13

Actually, the press release said over 1,000,000 iPhone 3G S units were sold smile

• Posted: 22 June 2009 10:26 AM #14

As I said earlier in another thread this whole Press release of SJ liver transplant timing etc is being orchestrated by Apple. And they are controlling the news flow. And doing a damn fine job. I expect a huge day, certainly volume wise and probably price as the mutual funds should scramble aboard with these sales results. And the market in general is down. Hate to be short AAPL this A M

[ Edited: 22 June 2009 10:29 AM by SNIPUS ]      
  • Posted: 22 June 2009 10:30 AM #15

aapl is set to have a great day if the markets turn around. If not, at least it’s not going to fall off of a cliff.

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”