AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 22 June 2009 11:47 PM #46

Steve Jobs Back at Work at Apple

Monday June 22, 2009 10:10 PM EST
    Written by arn

Mac Rumors
    CNBC reports that Steve Jobs has indeed returned to work at Apple today. His return had been suggested as he was attributed a quote for Apple’s press release today about the iPhone 3GS sales. Jim Goldman of CNBC, however, is able to confirm his presence on Apple’s campus according to multiple employees.

Meantime, we still await official word from Apple, but employees are confirming this. The news is solid. Jobs is back in the house, at least for today.
    This would fulfill his original promise to return to Apple in June, but with the recent report about his medical condition he may only be back in a limited fashion.

Posted: 23 June 2009 10:45 AM #47

Zoicks. . .down to $134 and falling fast. :-(

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 23 June 2009 10:45 AM #48

Picked up some aapl@ 133.79… tight stop to 132.86. I think this afternoon we recover a bit.

Edit- any particular reason aapl is getting slammed today or are we being invaded by shorts?

[ Edited: 23 June 2009 10:52 AM by litespeed ]

Signature

“Mom, someone’s wrong on the internet again”

Posted: 23 June 2009 10:52 AM #49

Wow. down $8 from yesterday’s open. . .it’s as if Apple didn’t sell 1M iPhones in 3 days.  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 23 June 2009 11:56 AM #50

WTF!
    why are we down 3% ???

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

• Posted: 23 June 2009 11:57 AM #51

litespeed - 23 June 2009 01:45 PM

Picked up some aapl@ 133.79… tight stop to 132.86. I think this afternoon we recover a bit.

Edit- any particular reason aapl is getting slammed today or are we being invaded by shorts?

It appears that yesterday, AAPL broke a support trendline that can be drawn from the lows in March until Friday.  This may explain the selling.

That said, I made the mistake of going long yesterday at 137, because it had appeared AAPL was showing strength compared to the market overall…

And we have to watch out for the Fed announcement Wednesday, though I have no idea what the effect on AAPL might be.

Posted: 23 June 2009 01:23 PM #52

After the initial drop, AAPL has been range bound between $133-134 for the past 3 hours.  Will we bounce from here or crash?

Signature

Posted: 23 June 2009 01:26 PM #53

nearly a 4% trading range today in Spank on America who announced a preferred conversion based on a simple moving average common price of $12.70. Me, I expect something of a short squeeze on the shorts that aren’t covering over the next week or two because they don’t realize that the primary motivator for the BAC (and C for that matter) is arbitrage. Read BofA’s press release on the matter.

Why does this matter to AAPL people? Because BAC is a tail that can wag the market as we saw last week.

Disclosure: I am long BAC and other banks as well as AAPL.

[ Edited: 23 June 2009 01:30 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 23 June 2009 01:35 PM #54

FWIW, RIMM is up nearly $2 today.

Signature

• Posted: 23 June 2009 02:03 PM #55

Play Ultimate - 23 June 2009 04:35 PM

FWIW, RIMM is up nearly $2 today.

I was just about to comment on that.  There is absolutely *no* rationality left in this market.  Apple takes RIMM’s customers…AAPL down…RIMM up. rolleyes  :evil:

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

• Posted: 23 June 2009 02:47 PM #56

This might explain the drop…

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

Posted: 23 June 2009 02:56 PM #57

Eric-

I think the banks are a short because of governmental pressure to lift capital requirements.  They still have devaluing assets but will ‘leak’ those losses out over time which will force further conversions and shareholder dilution.  I think bank longs are the bag-holders.  I-banking is not coming back in the same form (will be much weaker).  And finally, the bond market is in dire need of such gargantuan amounts of liquidity the only way we can keep yields relatively low is by sucking money from equities (bond market is much bigger than equity market).  With record bond issuance pressuring bonds, there will be a gazillion newly-minted digital dollars pouring into bonds.  Equities could suffer if the need for bond purchases is as dire as I think it may be.  Nonetheless, I sold my FAZ and am on the sidelines again now.  If I went either way, I’d be heavily short though.

Here’s a nice find from the ‘other’ site hehe - “This day in History” lol…

1930 - “Col. Ayres, VP Cleveland Trust, predicts an abrupt recovery in stock and commodity prices by Labor Day due to current consumption exceeding production. Distinguishes between two types of depression, ?V?-shaped and ?U?-shaped.
    Reduction of the rediscount rate to 2 1/2 percent is considered beneficial in several ways. It indicates credit will be easy for some time; should benefit many industries including farming, building, and construction, and make bond issues easier for corporations resulting in lower unemployment.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE55B5U120090612

[ Edited: 23 June 2009 02:59 PM by Mayor Quimby ]

Signature

The ends don’t justify the means…

Posted: 23 June 2009 09:32 PM #58

Mayor Quimby - 23 June 2009 05:56 PM

Eric-

I think the banks are a short because of governmental pressure to lift capital requirements.  They still have devaluing assets but will ‘leak’ those losses out over time which will force further conversions and shareholder dilution.  I think bank longs are the bag-holders.  I-banking is not coming back in the same form (will be much weaker).  And finally, the bond market is in dire need of such gargantuan amounts of liquidity the only way we can keep yields relatively low is by sucking money from equities (bond market is much bigger than equity market).  With record bond issuance pressuring bonds, there will be a gazillion newly-minted digital dollars pouring into bonds.  Equities could suffer if the need for bond purchases is as dire as I think it may be.  Nonetheless, I sold my FAZ and am on the sidelines again now.  If I went either way, I’d be heavily short though.

Here’s a nice find from the ‘other’ site hehe - “This day in History” lol…

1930 - “Col. Ayres, VP Cleveland Trust, predicts an abrupt recovery in stock and commodity prices by Labor Day due to current consumption exceeding production. Distinguishes between two types of depression, ?V?-shaped and ?U?-shaped.
    Reduction of the rediscount rate to 2 1/2 percent is considered beneficial in several ways. It indicates credit will be easy for some time; should benefit many industries including farming, building, and construction, and make bond issues easier for corporations resulting in lower unemployment.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE55B5U120090612

Mike, you may very well be right. However BAC.L is kicking out $18.70 a Q dividend. And if the spanks cannot recover, then nothing will recover and we’ll have a lost decade. At this point I’m in total fund manager mode and am looking to grind out returns, not hit one out of the park. As such, I’m looking a yields and liquid markets so that I can create my own yields.

Other site? You mean we can talk about Fight Club? now?

May the ticker be with you,

Eric

[ Edited: 23 June 2009 09:34 PM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 24 June 2009 12:06 AM #59

Methodist University Hospital in Tennessee released a statement this evening confirming reports of SJ’s liver transplant, a portion of which is excerpted below:

Mr. Jobs underwent a complete transplant evaluation and was listed for transplantation for an approved indication in accordance with the Transplant Institute policies and United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) policies.

He received a liver transplant because he was the patient with the highest MELD score (Model for End-Stage Liver Disease) of his blood type and, therefore, the sickest patient on the waiting list at the time a donor organ became available. Mr. Jobs is now recovering well and has an excellent prognosis.

Isn’t that a beautiful last sentence?

Here’s the link:  http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/23/methodist-university-hospital-confirms-steve-jobs-liver-transplant/

[ Edited: 24 June 2009 12:10 AM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 24 June 2009 12:11 AM #60

Wednesday

R4         161.60
      midpoint   156.79
    R3       151.99
      midpoint   147.18
    R2       142.38
      midpoint   140.29
    R1       138.19
      midpoint   135.48
    PP       132.77