iPhone Wireless Finder App

Posted: 23 June 2009 03:52 PM

I’m looking seriously at getting an iPhone. They’re cool and all, and it would let me combine my phone, a basic no frills handset that doesn’t even have a camera, with the Blackberry my company gave me that is a pain, but it does e-mail and IM.

The big justification though is this: Part of my job is to maintain the WiFi at several resorts. Currently this means that I walk around with a laptop, stop in front of each room and hit refresh on the WiFi network finder, check the signal strength to make sure the transmitter in that room is working, and then I go on to the next location. I want an iPhone app that would do the same thing. Then I could walk around carrying an iPhone rather than the 7 pound laptop and have it tell me the relative signal strengths of the transmitters. Ideally in addition to network name it would say the transmitter name, and the IP, and if it’s secured, as well and any other data it can harvest from the air. The BlackBerry just can’t do this at all. If I can show that the iPhone could, my company will reimburse me for the voice and data plan part of the contract.

I checked the App store but a search for WiFi Finder just has apps that list every Starbucks etc. in town. I need something that will tell me what the actual RF signal environment is wherever I’m standing, preferably in real time.

Any suggestions?

[ Edited: 23 June 2009 03:59 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 23 June 2009 10:31 PM #1

WiFiFoFum.

Never tried it. Caveat Emptor.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 23 June 2009 10:42 PM #2

Excellent.
    That’s exactly what I’m looking for.
    Thanks

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery