Is there another industry that Apple should disrupt?

Posted: 25 June 2009 04:01 PM

This question has been asked and answered in this forum before.  Sorry, I don’t have the link to past threads :oops:.  Some AFBers seem to think is the camera industry.  Apple has attempted to disrupt the TV industry with Apple TV unsuccessfully.  So far, Apple has successfully disrupted the music and phone industry.  Could MobileMe change how MBAs/Apple netbooks (presumably come with a cell chip) are to be sold in future?

What do you think?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 25 June 2009 04:44 PM #1

Always watching Apple’s target.  Personally I try to watch the patents and keynotes to see who Apple brings on stage to give a clue of where we are going.

Some verticals I see Apple making a push for

Sports Monitoring

Medicine

Entertainment

Micropayment system

Automobile Automation

Posted: 25 June 2009 05:33 PM #2

Yes, absolutely!

How about Universal Radio? A single iPod-like device that picks up ALL RF communication. Apple is a natural for this and could dominate another market totally with yet another device. This has the potential to eclipse the iPhone.

With $30B, Apple should have already quickly locked up this technology.

The Next Big Future

Anybody from Apple corporate that reads this forum? Probably already too late. You blew it!

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

Posted: 25 June 2009 06:27 PM #3

Mace - 25 June 2009 07:01 PM

This question has been asked and answered in this forum before.  Sorry, I don’t have the link to past threads :oops:.  Some AFBers seem to think is the camera industry.  Apple has attempted to disrupt the TV industry with Apple TV unsuccessfully.  So far, Apple has successfully disrupted the music and phone industry.  Could MobileMe change how MBAs/Apple netbooks (presumably come with a cell chip) are to be sold in future?

What do you think?

Mt first digital camera was a Quicktake 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 25 June 2009 06:56 PM #4

good question . . .

chip making (maybe shake intel’s tree)
    cloud computing (something better than google apps)

remote household technology? (to control heating, lighting, security etc.)

[ Edited: 25 June 2009 07:01 PM by the-irish-guy ]      

Posted: 26 June 2009 05:56 PM #5

I think one of the biggest industries Apple could possibly disrupt would be the telecom industry.  AT&T, Verizon are developing a near monopoly on one of the most important “utilities” of the future, the wireless network.

I think it is a long shot but it would be an incredible move to bash into this bunch of giants and knock them down with a better solution to the wireless network system.  High risk game though.

Posted: 26 June 2009 07:02 PM #6

Thank for the ideas.  So far, Apple is making money from hardware even though it is able to make excellent software that extend the usefulness of the hardware and provide high quality services.  Such hardware is a form of computing platform e.g. Mac, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, ... So I don’t see Apple making money from software and services e.g. licensing technology, selling clouding computing services and operating a telecom service.  Btw, I don’t mean they lose money in selling OS X, iLife, iWork, MobileMe, songs, shows and iPhone apps, just not bringing in revenue of a couple of billion dollars.  So whatever industry Apple can disrupt would be those that allow Apple to sell a piece of hardware and bring in a couple of billion dollars, preferably also allow operating an online store for selling ‘blades’.  Camera fits the bill.  However, this is not the new product category that I’m looking for since iPod touch, an existing product, with a good camera can do the job.  I believe Apple already has the answer with Apple netbook.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 26 June 2009 07:39 PM #7

Thoughts:
    1) Is there profit in it?
    2) Is there a need that is not being met?
    3) Does Apple have any expertise in it?
    4) Is there Apple multi-product synergy?

Expanding AppleTV seems the most obvious.  Providing links with Hulu, Veoh, etc, would expand the usefulness of the product and possibly make it more disruptive. Licensing TIVO technology into the Apple TV might help. This option competes, though,  with   TV show sales on iTunes. But it would open up AppleTV to a new consumer and possibly result in additional sales of movies. Including a R/W DVD would help with box elimination and allow a means of backing up downloaded data.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 27 June 2009 12:57 AM #8

Play Ultimate - 26 June 2009 10:39 PM

Thoughts:
    1) Is there profit in it?
    2) Is there a need that is not being met?
    3) Does Apple have any expertise in it?
    4) Is there Apple multi-product synergy?

Expanding AppleTV seems the most obvious.  Providing links with Hulu, Veoh, etc, would expand the usefulness of the product and possibly make it more disruptive. Licensing TIVO technology into the Apple TV might help. This option competes, though,  with   TV show sales on iTunes. But it would open up AppleTV to a new consumer and possibly result in additional sales of movies. Including a R/W DVD would help with box elimination and allow a means of backing up downloaded data.

I really want a REAL AppleTV to hang on the wall in the kitchen.  All the better if it has a Mac built in.  I own 2 of the current product and nice as they are the extra box is really unnecessary.  Here’s hoping that Apples investment in LG will yield something beyond a monitor.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 27 June 2009 01:22 AM #9

I’ll go one step further and predict that we’ll see an Apple TV and the iPod Max this September as part of the Christmas line up.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 27 June 2009 02:21 AM #10

The obvious answer are the industries Apple is now disrupting - software development, sales and distribution.

Posted: 27 June 2009 03:17 AM #11

DawnTreader - 27 June 2009 05:21 AM

The obvious answer are the industries Apple is now disrupting - software development, sales and distribution.

Among the most HATED FIRMS in America, are cable TV companies.

Detested.

I thought Apple TV was going there, but they were too timid, too limited.

Time to iPhone this industry as they iPhoned another hated industry the mobile companies.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 27 June 2009 03:57 AM #12

TanToday - 27 June 2009 06:17 AM

Detested.

Time to iPhone this industry as they iPhoned another hated industry the mobile companies.

The problem with a rational resolution to the problems of current entertainment distribution systems (theatres, movie rental services, cable, broadcast, satellite, etc.) is the industry’s irrational demand for control at any cost. It was the scourge of piracy that brought about the success of iTunes and the industry’s willingness to accept what was then a dramatic and seemingly Draconian-style solution (the mass sales of singles as a mean to revive legitimate music sales).

There’s no way the industry would sign contracts with Apple for the distribution of other entertainment content in a real and rational way unless a similar dire circumstance developed. That won’t happen anytime soon. The industry will hobble itself and limp along rather than submit to an Apple distribution model because the fear of Apple gaining control immobilizes industry executives even more than they currently paralyze their own industry.

Posted: 27 June 2009 10:24 AM #13

I think the Apple TV was done more as a placeholder.  It doesn’t do much, but then everyone I show the ATV first ask what’s that and then they say it’s pretty cool.  I bought mine and put my DVD player away which was how Apple described the device as the DVD player for the 21st century.  The recent changes to the remote App point to some serious potential.  I expect Apple to include DVR functionality this time around. I would also expect them to allow streaming to/from the Iphone/Itouch for music.  When you want to play a song, your device would establish a connection with your home computer, either over WiFi or through the mobile network. Along the lines of several of their patents

Itunes Anywhere Patent

Apple TV DVR interface revealed in patent filings

Posted: 29 June 2009 12:17 PM #14

How about Apple Studios?*
    They have a distribution system in place, start signing bands directly. Put in a recording studio complex and start competing directly with the recording companies. Apple’s hook would be that they could give the artists a bigger cut and still make a good profit. Then take the direct-to-TV movie idea a step further, start funding and producing programming, both episodic and feature films that go direct-to-iTunes. The other companies might complain but I don’t see the record companies or film studios pulling out of iTunes distribution until it’s too late.

*OK they probably couldn’t use that exact name.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 29 June 2009 12:51 PM #15

TanToday - 27 June 2009 06:17 AM

Detested.

Agreed. The challenge is finding a workable synergy with an internet provider. There are few USA wide internet providers since most phone/cable operators operate with local license monopolies.  Thus if Apple TV truly took off, the cable operators would balk at the decline of Cable TV subscriptions. Some ISPs are already putting download limits in place which directly affects the usefulness of Apple TV.  Until a different solution for providing high-speed internet into the home is arrived at, Apple TV will be beholden to the ISPs.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale