Is there another industry that Apple should disrupt?

• Posted: 12 July 2009 02:11 PM #31

capablanca - 12 July 2009 04:29 AM

Apple is often cited as having 4% of the personal computer market.  In fact they have 60%+ of the over $1,000 consumer computer market.

Is it really 60% in the States? I hadn’t considered the percentage to be quite that high. I was thinking between 40% and 50%. But if one assumes only 10% of consumer PC purchases are in the $1,000+ market, Apple does come darn close to your number.

Posted: 12 July 2009 07:51 PM #32

alcatholic - 12 July 2009 09:59 AM

... In terms of netbooks, the one good sign is that Jobs and Cook have both called Netbooks really poor products.  So, maybe they think they can fix them.  But really the software is not what is broken with Netbooks, it’s the hardware.  So in terms of a software theory it probably wouldn’t fit.  Then again my going assumption is that an Apple netbook would be an extension of the iPhone OS multi-touch platform, which frankly is a weapon that I would love to see Apple swing around a bit to see how much damage it can cause when deployed against a given market.  My guess is iPhone OS dominates netbooks in short order.  So, what would you say is the state of the Netbook industry that creates an opening for Apple?

Who are the market for netbooks?  Is netbook the right solution?  Would MobileMe (through hybrid system like iWork.com + iWork) and Apple netbook (I presume is a tablet called MacBook) a better solution?

If the main activities for ‘netbook’ market is social networking, casual gaming and occasional light office work (i.e. no need for full featured office apps), can Apple come up with a better solution (through a new hardware + MobileMe’s services) than netbook, MBA, iPhone, and iPod touch + existing apps?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 12 July 2009 09:18 PM #33

Mace - 12 July 2009 10:51 PM

If the main activities for ‘netbook’ market is social networking, casual gaming and occasional light office work (i.e. no need for full featured office apps), can Apple come up with a better solution (through a new hardware + MobileMe’s services) than netbook, MBA, iPhone, and iPod touch + existing apps?

Yes. It’s the tablet thing we’ve been discussing for months with tens of thousands of apps already available at low-cost/no-cost.

• Posted: 23 July 2009 08:00 PM #34

DawnTreader - 12 July 2009 05:11 PM

Apple is often cited as having 4% of the personal computer market.  In fact they have 60%+ of the over $1,000 consumer computer market.

Is it really 60% in the States? I hadn’t considered the percentage to be quite that high. I was thinking between 40% and 50%. But if one assumes only 10% of consumer PC purchases are in the $1,000+ market, Apple does come darn close to your number.

DT, capablanca is SO wrong!  smile 

Apple had 91% of the $1,000 plus market in June according to NPD and Appleinsider!

That deserves its own thread, if you ask me.

Signature

Off again, on again…

• Posted: 23 July 2009 11:32 PM #35

alcatholic - 23 July 2009 11:00 PM
    DawnTreader - 12 July 2009 05:11 PM

DT, capablanca is SO wrong!  smile 

Apple had 91% of the $1,000 plus market in June according to NPD and Appleinsider!

That deserves its own thread, if you ask me.

Mace, you are awesome.  But you spin the facts.  Capablanca’s 60%+ number is for all of 2008.  Your 91% number is for one month.

• Posted: 23 July 2009 11:41 PM #36

Apple should disrupt the banks!  I see BAC and Chase building new stores w/bricks and mortar, but why?  Also, the fine print w/new accounts is aimed at slipping in fees worthy of banksta SOP.

Posted: 23 July 2009 11:44 PM #37

capablanca,

I’m not alcatholic.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 24 July 2009 12:17 AM #38

Mace - 24 July 2009 02:44 AM

capablanca,

I’m not alcatholic.

Sure, you are!  I honor the place where Mace and alcatholic are one. 

Namaste,

FakeMace

Signature

Off again, on again…

• Posted: 24 July 2009 01:35 AM #39

Mace - 24 July 2009 02:44 AM

capablanca,

I’m not alcatholic.

Apologies to both of you.  LOL.