iPhone 3GS Japan roll out

Posted: 25 June 2009 11:57 PM

A link with some pics

+D Media report

Nothing unexpected reported. Lineups were short and smooth as most sales seem to have been done via preordering. I’ll report on any hard sales numbers after the weekend as soon as I see them.

Jose

Posted: 26 June 2009 04:27 AM #1

I’ve heard from time to time that the iPhone isn’t climbing the top of the sales charts like it is here in the US.  I can see it being not as much of a runaway hit in Japan, but it’s hardly “just another smartphone” over there, right?

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 26 June 2009 05:36 AM #2

That’s probably because people get locked into long term (2 years) contracts when they get a new phone, so those that bought an iPhone last year won’t be getting a new one for another year.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 26 June 2009 12:20 PM #3

Mav - 26 June 2009 07:27 AM

it’s hardly “just another smartphone” over there, right?

Actually, what makes the situation for the iPhone different in Japan is that in many respects, it IS just another smartphone here. Ever since about 2001 when AU released it’s WIN series of phones, every phone that japan has seen released into it’s market would be considered a smartphone. There are dozens of models here in Japan that have incredible hardware features and very interesting software apps that rival the iPhone, and are probably hard to find there in N.America.

That is what makes the iPhone’s relative success in Japan all the more eyebrow-raising. Despite the fact that hardware-wise and (somewhat) software-wise there are many phones that compare, none can match iPhone in terms of overall interface execution, no one has anything like iTunes/App Store and most of all nothing has anything to rival iPhone/Apple’s cachet and coolness.

Yes, what makes iPhone a runaway phenomenon in Europe and N.America makes it only a noted success in the technologically saturated japanese cellphone market, but those points that DO separate it from other Japanese phones are the hardest to recreate, and thus will serve Apple well for the next few years.

Jose

• Posted: 26 June 2009 02:58 PM #4

wheeles - 26 June 2009 08:36 AM

That’s probably because people get locked into long term (2 years) contracts when they get a new phone, so those that bought an iPhone last year won’t be getting a new one for another year.

However…. There are many (such as myself) holding on to the original iPhone and we are ripe for an upgrade.

Posted: 27 June 2009 02:09 AM #5

Fascinating.  Thanks for the great perspective as always, josesensei.

Much as I loved the original iPhone, it was totally worth “jumping the gun” and hopping on the 3G train.  Luckily, the 3GS, while clearly better, isn’t so much more superior (yet) that I’d seriously consider paying the early upgrade price.  At least, that’s my impression from a 5-10 minute test drive of a 3GS at the local Apple Store.  I get the feeling the 3GS platform has plenty of room to run, though, with a next-gen CPU, extra RAM and a seriously beefed-up GPU there must be tons of optimization potential.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 03 July 2009 02:08 PM #6

wheeles - 26 June 2009 08:36 AM

Why?  My new iPHone 3GS cost me a net $140, after the sale of my old one for $360.  The demand for the 3G model in the used market is still strong, albeit it less so given the current supply on eBay.

• Posted: 03 July 2009 02:09 PM #7

There’s no mention of unit sales numbers in the report. Customers in Asian markets such as Japan and Taiwan will adopt smart phones at much higher rates than in the US at least for now. For Apple questions to be considered include whether or not there’s a halo effect from the iPhone on Mac laptop sales and how much of an expanded eco-system can be created in those markets for ancillary products and services?

Posted: 03 July 2009 09:46 PM #8

artman1033 - 03 July 2009 04:58 PM

According to nikkei.net, market research company BCN surveyed the market and said the iPhone 3G 8GB, sold by Softbank, easily came in at number one.

Not too surprising. Since this spring Softbank has been giving the 8G iPhone away free with a 2 year contract. Although I’m sure Apple still makes a money on the deal.

Jose

Posted: 06 July 2009 01:10 AM #9

Well now, looks like the iPhone 3G 8Giga is at the top of the Japanese CELLphone market, and the iPhone 3GS 32Giga seems to have taken top spot in the the country’s SMARTphone market. Although I still contend that practically all phones in Japan qualify as smart phones.

TUAW

Still, you certainly can’t call it bad news smile

Jose

Posted: 30 July 2009 11:03 PM #10

Thanks Artman, you beat me to it.

I bet DoCoMo is feeling stupid now.

The only thing that keeps softbank from really steamrollering all the other carriers is that it’s signal strength in many parts of Japan thoroughly suck. Sucks like a Dyson. I often drop phone calls when I walk into my kitchen.

But of course I would never give up my iPhone.

Jose

Posted: 31 July 2009 03:26 AM #11

I remember seeing an article about Softbank and Masayoshi Son a number of years ago in a US business magazine.  In a way, getting the exclusive deal on the iPhone and having it so obviously contribute to its success (and in a more-than-flash-in-the-pan way) validates the company’s and CEO’s recognition.  Amusing how Softbank and AT&T are distressingly alike in the worst possible way.  raspberry

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 15 August 2009 08:43 PM #12

More good news from Japan…

iPhone 3Gs number one

Jose

• Posted: 15 August 2009 10:40 PM #13

josesensei - 15 August 2009 11:43 PM

That is good news and a comparative performance that’s better than what I expected.

• Posted: 16 August 2009 12:46 AM #14

josesensei - 15 August 2009 11:43 PM

iPhone 3Gs number one

Jose

Thank you for keeping us updated and giving us your views.

Signature

Posted: 09 November 2009 08:13 PM #15

Bad results for NTT and Docomo for two quarters in a row. They claim it is market saturation.

NTT Down