The Lowly MacBook

• Posted: 03 July 2009 02:39 PM

I’ve been wondering why Apple moved the 13” aluminum MacBook into the MacBook Pro line in the June product refresh. On one level it makes sense for all of the aluminum MacBooks to share the name. However, it leaves the 13” polycarbonate MacBook alone in its product line.

I’m wondering if the change in marketing and nameplates is primarily due to the education market initiatives. With constrained education budgets and Apple’s continuing push for school and district-wide sales (in the case of Maine, state-wide) solutions, it better differentiates Apple’s entry-level offerings and clearly standouts at its retail price.

• Posted: 03 July 2009 05:21 PM #1

DawnTreader - 03 July 2009 05:39 PM

I’ve been wondering why Apple moved the 13” aluminum MacBook into the MacBook Pro line in the June product refresh. On one level it makes sense for all of the aluminum MacBooks to share the name. However, it leaves the 13” polycarbonate MacBook alone in its product line.

I’m wondering if the change in marketing and nameplates is primarily due to the education market initiatives. With constrained education budgets and Apple’s continuing push for school and district-wide sales (in the case of Maine, state-wide) solutions, it better differentiates Apple’s entry-level offerings and clearly standouts at its retail price.

Or it just feeds into the speculation that they will be introducing an entirely new product to fill the hole in the matrix where “consumer laptop” goes, no? And they can definitely keep the polycarbonate one around for edu customers for a time like they did with the eMac when the flat screen iMacs were introduced