hah hahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahahahaha

• Posted: 16 July 2009 11:50 AM #16

The car dealership is a good analogy…let’s see…a Porsche dealer next to a Kia dealer…both are cars.  That’s where the similarity ends.

I’d say it’s more likely Micro#$@t is hoping some of Apple’s shine will wear off on them.  tongue laugh

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

• Posted: 16 July 2009 11:51 AM #17

sstenner - 16 July 2009 02:50 PM

The car dealership is a good analogy…let’s see…a Porsche dealer next to a Kia dealer…both are cars.  That’s where the similarity ends.

I’d say it’s more likely Micro#$@t is hoping some of Apple’s shine will wear off on them.  tongue laugh

The problem with the car dealership analogy is that at least the other car dealerships have products to actually sell. I am wondering what exactly Microsoft intend to sell in these showrooms.

Signature

• Posted: 16 July 2009 11:53 AM #18

rattyuk - 16 July 2009 02:51 PM
    sstenner - 16 July 2009 02:50 PM

The problem with the car dealership analogy is that at least the other car dealerships have products to actually sell. I am wondering what exactly Microsoft intend to sell in these showrooms.

Very true…maybe they’ll be selling Dells, HPs, maybe cheap netbooks??

Signature

Steph :apple:
    Id quot circumiret, circumveniat

• Posted: 16 July 2009 01:11 PM #19

So they’re going to compete with Best Buy. Good luck with that.

• Posted: 16 July 2009 01:17 PM #20

You know…,we all kid but with the products available to them they could put together a killer store.  X-Box gaming area, home theatre, music, plenty of software etc.  Below the surface it would suck just like always but you wouldn’t see that in a controlled environment.  Then you run into the central issue…, “The problem with Microsoft is they have no taste.  And I don’t mean that in a small way.”  sjobs

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 16 July 2009 01:38 PM #21

BillH - 16 July 2009 04:17 PM

You know…,we all kid but with the products available to them they could put together a killer store.  X-Box gaming area, home theatre, music, plenty of software etc.  Below the surface it would suck just like always but you wouldn’t see that in a controlled environment.  Then you run into the central issue…, “The problem with Microsoft is they have no taste.  And I don’t mean that in a small way.”  sjobs

I can’t wait.  The only reason I can think of why Microsoft would do this is the big box retailers won’t give them shelf space.

Posted: 16 July 2009 06:45 PM #22

Maybe the store on 5th avenue will look like
    this

From Cyberpresse in Montr?al

Posted: 16 July 2009 08:04 PM #23

Verrry Funnny

• Posted: 16 July 2009 11:06 PM #24

Do they really think they can compete?  How about some facts:

Dell Latitude E4300 Laptop
    Intel? Core? 2 Duo SP9400 (2.40GHz)
    Windows Vista? Home Basic SP1
    8X DVD+/-RW
    2.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
    250GB1 Hard Drive, 7200RPM
    802.11b/g Mini Card
    Starting Price     $1,801
    Instant Savings     $337
    Subtotal           $1,464

13 inch MacBook Pro/OS X Leopard
    $1,249.00
    Specifications:
    2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD?R DL/DVD?RW/CD-RW)
    802.11n
    Backlit Keyboard (English)

Where’s the Apple price premium?  The MacBook Pro is actually cheaper.  They need to get a clue!

• Posted: 16 July 2009 11:16 PM #25

Zeke - 17 July 2009 02:06 AM

Do they really think they can compete?  How about some facts:

Where’s the Apple price premium?  The MacBook Pro is actually cheaper.  They need to get a clue!

The problem is that Apple’s market share is falling because they don’t count those machines Zeke - they are only interested in selling the little machines that don’t work with your sized fingers - netbooks I think they call ‘em - those are the only things that are selling and they are selling for threepence ha’penny I believe.

The sky is falling - apparently you can only make money if you have teeny tiny profit margins and sell shedloads. Selling high end machines with a high profit margin just ain’t going to work in these economic conditions - Apple are going to fail and fail hard, next quarter, er the quarter after that, er next year, er… Apple are STILL making a profit? How come? Can’t be on the computers must be those ipod thingys I think my child has one. OR maybe it’s the phone - oh yes all hype - must be the phone.

On a more serious note anyone else clock Nokia’s figures yesterday? [BGR] -  Nokia?s Q2 operating profit was down a mind boggling 66 percent year over year to ?775 million. 66 percent! Net sales dropped 25 percent YoY to ?9.9 billion and EPS came in at ?0.15, a 60 percent YoY decline.

Oh and Sony Ericsson today - they shipped just over half the handsets it did a year ago ? 13.8 million compared to 24.4 million in Q2 2008?

Can’t be Apple behind any of this - there must just be a recession on. Or sommat.

Signature

Posted: 17 July 2009 11:49 AM #26

capablanca - 15 July 2009 11:46 PM

This is overdue.  Perhaps they have delayed the roll out because of the Vista flop.

Microsoft may prove better at retailing than we imagine.  They have plenty of cash, a brand, negotiating power, and they have products.  Some are successful (Xbox), some not (Zune).  They can use Xbox to get young people in the stores.  They can also sell products of other companies such as games or even computers.  They can set up kiosks showcasing Bing and the like…

Ohhhhh! I get it! They’re basically going to open MS Branded copies of places like CompUSA, Gateway stores, or Circuit City. Well, I wish them as much luck with that endeavor as the aforementioned predecessors had, especially in the last couple of years. raspberry

Hmmm… I wonder if the decision as to which computer makers get picked to show off their wares at these new stores might cause any schisms between Microsoft and those companies that don’t get picked. I could see such a schism leading to more adoption of alternative OS options (Linux, ChromeOS, ???) by the ‘unlucky’ companies that Microsoft decides not to showcase. Just a thought.

One more thing?... I’m no expert on these matters but, since Microsoft is in a ‘monopoly’ position, (and because we once again have a heavily ‘The people vs, Company X’, democratic government), could a venture like this be viewed as an anti-competitive act?

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 17 July 2009 01:18 PM #27

GEEEZ!  Is there no one in Redmond with an original idea in their punkin heads?
    Windows - copied Mac OS
    Zune - copied iPod
    Now, lets copy the Apple stores!!!!

I’d be pi$$ed if I were an MS stock holder.

Posted: 17 July 2009 01:32 PM #28

So, would the Genius Bar become “Microsoft? Very Smart Individual Providing Specilized Support For Your Windows? Platform Ultimate”?

• Posted: 17 July 2009 08:55 PM #29

Actually Bill, this is called the ?clustering effect? well known in retail.

And Mr. Balmer can be the pivot man in this Circle… oh wrong joke. Never mind

• Posted: 18 July 2009 06:40 AM #30

Apple’s former real estate chief now working on Microsoft stores
    By Todd Bishop on July 17, 2009 at 4:27 PM PDT
    Comments (0)  |  Permalink
    Real estate | Seattle | Apple | Microsoft

Looks like Microsoft will have some very well-informed assistance as it tries to replicate the success of Apple’s retail stores. Former Apple real estate chief George Blankenship, who helped lead the early rollout of the Mac maker’s retail stores, is working with Microsoft as the Redmond company prepares to launch a retail chain of its own.

This condition occurs frequently in construction. A project with poor design and poor execution attempts salvation with an expensive veneer in a high visibility area. Great attention is paid to this eye candy feature. A friend in Texas refers to this condition as” A diamond in a goat’s ass.”