Apple drops to 5th in US computer sales (Maybe)

• Posted: 15 July 2009 06:27 PM

I’m pretty sure this would include the netbook market.  Just once I would like to see how the vendors rank by total computer profit but in the meantime I’m sure we’ll be hearing about this tomorrow.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/07/15/idc.prelim.q2.2009/

[ Edited: 16 July 2009 12:43 AM by DawnTreader ]

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 15 July 2009 06:50 PM #1

According to Gartner

Apple’s share of the U.S. computer market grew 2.5 percent in the second quarter while the PC industry as a whole saw shipments slide 1.2 percent, according to new figures released Wednesday by market research firm Gartner.

The preliminary data has Apple garnering an 8.7 percent share of the U.S. computer market for the three-month period ended June, good enough for the Mac maker to maintain its ranking as the nation’s fourth largest computer maker.

Apple next week will announce finalized figures for the same time frame, which coincides with its third fiscal quarter of the year. If Gartner’s data is of any indication, the company is likely to post respectable single-digit growth in U.S.-based Mac given the challenging economic backdrop.

The Cupertino-based company’s performance during the second calendar quarter also signals a turnaround from the first quarter, when the year-over-year comparison saw Mac shipments decline a little over 1 percent/ From January to March, Apple managed to grab 7.4 percent of U.S. sales.

Overall, 16.4 million computers were sold in the U.S. during the second quarter, with 1.4 million of those being Macs. The number one vendor was Dell, which saw a massive 18.7 percent year-over-year decline. Nipping at its heels in second place was Hewlett-Packard, which actually topped Dell in the first quarter of year, but now trails by just a fraction of 1 percent.

Meanwhile, the biggest growth spurt came from netbook maker Acer, which saw year-over-year sales skyrocket 74.2 percent. The next nearest company, in terms of growth, was Toshiba with 22.5 percent. Acer and Toshiba ranked third and fifth, respectively, in U.S. market share.

• Posted: 15 July 2009 07:49 PM #2

IDC is forecasting a drop in domestic Mac sales for the June quarter and Gartner is forecasting a gain. Let’s see who wins.

• Posted: 16 July 2009 12:44 AM #3

I updated the topic title to reflect the wide disparity between IDC’s numbers and Gartner’s. Gartner has Apple holding to the 4th spot in domestic sales.

• Posted: 16 July 2009 12:47 AM #4

IDC forecasts 1.2 million Mac units sold domestically while Gartner forecasts 1.422 Mac units shipped. That’s quite a gap between the two forecasts. I wonder why such a big gap and what channels each are monitoring for the numbers.

• Posted: 22 July 2009 01:43 AM #5

It appears IDC had it all wrong, I’m happy to say. I do wonder what channels they monitored to come up with such inaccurate numbers.

• Posted: 22 July 2009 03:25 AM #6

DawnTreader - 22 July 2009 04:43 AM

It appears IDC had it all wrong, I’m happy to say. I do wonder what channels they monitored to come up with such inaccurate numbers.

I’m not sure they had it ALL wrong.

Overall, 16.4 million computers were sold in the U.S. during the second quarter, with 1.4 million of those being Macs. The number one vendor was Dell, which saw a massive 18.7 percent year-over-year decline. Nipping at its heels in second place was Hewlett-Packard, which actually topped Dell in the first quarter of year, but now trails by just a fraction of 1 percent.

Apple reported selling 1,147,000 cpu’s in the US.  Am I missing something with Apple stating that they’re taking share or is IDC’s 16.4 million number all out of whack.

Signature

• Posted: 22 July 2009 04:02 AM #7

BillH - 22 July 2009 06:25 AM

Apple reported selling 1,147,000 cpu’s in the US.  Am I missing something with Apple stating that they’re taking share or is IDC’s 16.4 million number all out of whack.

The 1.147 million units to which you refer is the unit sales for the “Americas” which include more than the US but does not include domestic retail store sales. In the Americas Apple saw a 1% YOY unit sales increase and in retail stores Apple saw a 3% unit increase YOY. That’s in contrast to IDC’s claims of a domestic unit sales decline of 12.4%.

• Posted: 22 July 2009 04:04 AM #8

DawnTreader - 22 July 2009 07:02 AM
    BillH - 22 July 2009 06:25 AM

The 1.147 million units to which you refer is the unit sales for the “Americas” which include more than the US but does not include domestic retail store sales. In the Americas Apple saw a 1% YOY unit sales increase and in retail stores Apple saw a 3% unit increase YOY. That’s in contrast to IDC’s claims of a domestic unit sales decline of 12.4%.

Thanks.  It never occurred to me that Apple wouldn’t include retail store sales in their own numbers.

Signature

• Posted: 22 July 2009 04:07 AM #9

The naming convention around here really needs to change imho.  I cringe every time I see “Mac Genius” under my name…,for obvious reasons.

Signature

• Posted: 22 July 2009 04:20 AM #10

BillH - 22 July 2009 07:07 AM

The naming convention around here really needs to change imho.  I cringe every time I see “Mac Genius” under my name…,for obvious reasons.

Genius takes many forms.  grin

• Posted: 22 July 2009 04:24 AM #11

Back to the issue of IDC.

I’m sure the counters are quite surprised by the results and it will have competitors taking note. Apple will outperform the industry without a single netbook in the market. These are strong results for Apple and sets up sales momentum into the intro of Snow Leopard and the pending battle with Windows 7.