The Fall iPod Refresh

• Posted: 19 July 2009 10:59 PM

If Apple follows a familiar tack, we will see a refresh of the iPod line in the fall. What should we expect?

There’s talk of iPods featuring camera. Will we see a migration of the product line with more devices app store enabled or will that ability be reserved for the iPod touch through the fall refresh?

• Posted: 19 July 2009 11:33 PM #1

DawnTreader - 20 July 2009 01:59 AM

If Apple follows a familiar tack, we will see a refresh of the iPod line in the fall. What should we expect?

There’s talk of iPods featuring camera. Will we see a migration of the product line with more devices app store enabled or will that ability be reserved for the iPod touch through the fall refresh?

It would be nice if it had a mike, a camera and the GPS / compass. IE an iPhone without the phone. Firstly because it would then make more apps compatible from the app store and secondly the camera with the GPS / Compass addition makes logging where the photos were taken very easy indeed.

Signature

• Posted: 20 July 2009 12:05 AM #2

if the refreshed iTouch has a camera (and video) I think it will be the best selling iPod of all time

Posted: 20 July 2009 07:19 AM #3

Does the 2nd gen one have a speaker? If not that would be a very useful addition. My 1st gen one doesn’t and it is a big pain in the behind. I know it can make make the odd beep noise like a Sinclair (Timex) ZX81, but some apps really benefit from the user not having to wear headphones.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 20 July 2009 09:49 AM #4

wheeles - 20 July 2009 10:19 AM

Does the 2nd gen one have a speaker? If not that would be a very useful addition. My 1st gen one doesn’t and it is a big pain in the behind. I know it can make make the odd beep noise like a Sinclair (Timex) ZX81, but some apps really benefit from the user not having to wear headphones.

The second generation has a speaker as well as support for a mic via the headphone jack.  I would expect the internals to be updated to match the IPhone as far as memory and processor.  I am interested to see if the keep the 8GB existing model at a new low price.  Not everyone needs more memory and they could price to compete with the DSlite and PSP for sales this Christmas

• Posted: 20 July 2009 08:04 PM #5

Wired says Ipod Touch will come with camera and microphone…. This will be a world wide best seller…. Hello Skype….goodbye carriers

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/07/apple-preparing-ipod-touch-with-camera-microphone-source/

• Posted: 20 July 2009 08:11 PM #6

SNIPUS - 20 July 2009 11:04 PM

Wired says Ipod Touch will come with camera and microphone…. This will be a world wide best seller…. Hello Skype….goodbye carriers

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/07/apple-preparing-ipod-touch-with-camera-microphone-source/

I wonder if Apple could build their own Skype? I mean what ARE they intending to use those data centers for?

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2009 09:25 PM #7

rattyuk - 20 July 2009 11:11 PM
    SNIPUS - 20 July 2009 11:04 PM

I wonder if Apple could build their own Skype? I mean what ARE they intending to use those data centers for?

Future MobileMe services and iChat AV.  Apple is leading the world from number-based telephony to IP-based telephony that no need to use telephone land lines (if I’m not wrong, skype needs land lines).

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 20 July 2009 10:46 PM #8

I see the premium features being limited to the Touch. I don’t buy those photos of Nano cases with camera hole as being legit. Keep the prices of the other iPod down for the prices conscious and make the Touch a “must have” device for anyone without an iPhone. The Touch will continue to take off and be a great entry point for millions to enter the Apple ecosystem. I think we’re really entering a key point in time where Touch penetration will surprise everyone.

• Posted: 21 July 2009 12:24 AM #9

I notice that MacMall is duplicating the Apple Back To School program?free iPod Touch with purchase of computer for students (not sure about faculty). So if they can get Touches to give away like this from Apple, and still make money on their margins?which compete favorably with the Apple Store?Apple must really want to clear out those 8G Touches before the refresh.

I’d expect bluetooth in the new models (for wireless earphones) before video capability.

Posted: 21 July 2009 10:11 AM #10

willrob - 21 July 2009 03:24 AM

I notice that MacMall is duplicating the Apple Back To School program?free iPod Touch with purchase of computer for students (not sure about faculty). So if they can get Touches to give away like this from Apple, and still make money on their margins?which compete favorably with the Apple Store?Apple must really want to clear out those 8G Touches before the refresh.

I’d expect bluetooth in the new models (for wireless earphones) before video capability.

They already have bluetooth
    On June 17, 2009, the iPhone 3.0 Software Update was released for purchase for the iPod Touch. The update allowed the devices to use new apps, and unlocked the Bluetooth functionality of the second-generation iPod Touch, enabling stereo bluetooth and peer to peer apps.

• Posted: 21 July 2009 10:22 AM #11

pats - 21 July 2009 01:11 PM

On June 17, 2009, the iPhone 3.0 Software Update was released for purchase for the iPod Touch. The update allowed the devices to use new apps, and unlocked the Bluetooth functionality of the second-generation iPod Touch, enabling stereo bluetooth and peer to peer apps.

Oh, I didn’t notice that. I have the first gen, with no bluetooth. So if 3.0 unlocked bluetooth on the 2nd gen Touch, what function did the chip provide previously?

EDIT: checking Apple’s web store, I don’t see bluetooth mentioned, but the Nike+ system must use it somehow.

[ Edited: 21 July 2009 10:25 AM by willrob ]      
  • Posted: 21 July 2009 02:35 PM #12

pats - 21 July 2009 01:11 PM

And of course, without going multi-carrier, Apple can squeeze the other smart phone makers and carriers horribly by giving the iPod touch bluetooth pairing capability (like headsets, car audio). Just leave your old handset in your pocket, paired to the touch, and your iPod is your complete interface to the voice network. No need to renew your contract to get a new smartphone; no need to switch carriers to go 90% of the way to iPhone. The carrier exclusive can keep on giving big margins on iPhone for a while yet.

[ Edited: 21 July 2009 02:38 PM by sleepytoo ]      
  • Posted: 23 July 2009 07:05 AM #13

This all ties together well.

The evolution continues. Bluetooth Touch . Just another step up.

• Posted: 23 July 2009 11:42 AM #14

Apple still makes no mention of bluetooth in the 2nd gen Touch on their web store, but I did find this article explaining the 3.0 unlock of the broadcom chip. I guess the device’s sales don’t need the extra PR. :-D

• Posted: 23 July 2009 01:33 PM #15

Well the interesting, and scary, thing about the “tech specs” is that they are so light on actual information. I know Apple are doing this deliberately - they are considering specs as NOT important to their users - but it is a little frustrating.

Signature