The Fall iPod Refresh

Posted: 23 July 2009 02:41 PM #16

Does anyone else think this might be the end of the iPod Classic?  I think it’s doomed, if not this year, than the next for sure.

Signature

Tron is cool

• Posted: 23 July 2009 02:57 PM #17

dlstarr7 - 23 July 2009 05:41 PM

Does anyone else think this might be the end of the iPod Classic?  I think it’s doomed, if not this year, than the next for sure.

Some people like the large capacity - still a few years to go before SSD reach classic capacity at an affordable price.

[ Edited: 23 July 2009 03:02 PM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 23 July 2009 03:10 PM #18

dlstarr7 - 23 July 2009 05:41 PM

Possibly. At $50 more the 16B iPod Touch has more functionality. But there are some that like its mammoth size.  It may stick around but it is not a major factor in Apple’s lineup anymore.  Honestly I can see the Classic and either the Nano or Shuffle ending. The end result would be the iPod Touch and the iPod (likely nano).

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 23 July 2009 08:18 PM #19

artman1033 - 23 July 2009 11:08 PM

CULTOFMAC has pictures!

Apple is quickly changing the social fabric. iPhones/Touchs with video, edited in iMovie, uploaded directly to Facebook/Twitter.  This is socially and politically disruptive.  Bloody amazing.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 23 July 2009 09:05 PM #20

willrob - 21 July 2009 03:24 AM

I notice that MacMall is duplicating the Apple Back To School program?free iPod Touch with purchase of computer for students (not sure about faculty). So if they can get Touches to give away like this from Apple, and still make money on their margins?which compete favorably with the Apple Store?Apple must really want to clear out those 8G Touches before the refresh.

I’d expect bluetooth in the new models (for wireless earphones) before video capability.

Update: Now anyone can get a free 2nd gen Touch with the purchase of this Mac Book.

• Posted: 23 July 2009 09:16 PM #21

Play Ultimate - 23 July 2009 11:18 PM
    artman1033 - 23 July 2009 11:08 PM

CULTOFMAC has pictures!

Apple is quickly changing the social fabric. iPhones/Touchs with video, edited in iMovie, uploaded directly to Facebook/Twitter.  This is socially and politically disruptive.  Bloody amazing.

iMovie isn’t always needed. Clips can be edited on the iPhone and uploaded/emailed. And the new SDK that developers have makes it con-destructive editing ? clips can be trimmed for email, yet still saved at their full length.