Blue-Ray ??

• Posted: 20 July 2009 09:58 AM

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100769
    This is a strange one as MACs don’t even have blue-ray?? does this mean new products??

• Posted: 20 July 2009 10:27 AM #1

renegate - 20 July 2009 12:58 PM

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100769
    This is a strange one as MACs don’t even have blue-ray?? does this mean new products??

Nope - they appear to be adding interactivity between the blu ray player and the iphone. So I suspect it sends data to the cloud to control the blu ray player also connected to the cloud.

Signature

• Posted: 20 July 2009 10:33 AM #2

Best quote on Blu Ray comes from SJ himself:  It’s a bag of hurt. 

I just don’t get that excited with it myself.

• Posted: 20 July 2009 10:48 AM #3

Mercel - 20 July 2009 01:33 PM

I think he was referring to how deep the DRM has to be integrated into the OS. Microsoft are fine with that - ironic as they were gunning for HD-DVD. Actually the format war would not have happened if Microsoft hadn’t got involved - so chalk up yet another failure to MS.

So we have the DRM issue and that was too high a price to pay for Apple to go with it from the get go and to be honest what do you get from blu-ray that you don’t get from DVD on a 17” screen? Blu-Ray scores when you start to go above 50 inches on displays - not many Macs shipping with those mothers.

Also Apple are a leading distributor of HD media over the internet so aggressively supporting an alternative is not necessarily in their best interest.

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2009 11:38 AM #4

I just don’t get that excited with it myself.

Blue Ray may be doing better than Steve thinks…..........

Sales Of Blu-Ray, Digital Downloads Up Big In First Quarter
    Rory Maher
    Apr 28, 2009

Some new kids on the block in home-entertainment continue to grow rapidly. Sales of Blu-Ray HD more than doubled in the first quarter, while digital downloads were up 19 percent, according to a report from the Digital Entertainment Group. Both formats are still a small piece of the overall pie?DVD sales were $2.9 billion in the quarter versus $230 million for Blu-Ray and $487 million for digital downloads. But Blu-Ray?s sales were up 400 percent last year, for a total of $750 million, and companies like Netflix (NSDQ: NFLX) and Blockbuster (NYSE: BBI) continue to make inroads against traditional DVD sales with digital delivery of home movies.

DVD sales dropped 14 percent for the quarter. Both Time Warner (NYSE: TWX) and Viacom (NYSE: VIA), which report earnings this week, own studios (Warner Brothers and Paramount) that make a large portion of their revenue from DVD sales.

Signature

ldrhawke

Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups or of Hedge Funds that Naked Short Sell aapl

• Posted: 20 July 2009 12:04 PM #5

ldrhawke - 20 July 2009 02:38 PM

Blue Ray may be doing better than Steve thinks…..........

Well considering most blu rays ship with both digital versions for your media player and DVDs these days what would you expect? I also think that an element is that people are buying less dvds. or waiting until they get what they want. Best Buy eventually sells most tv series for 19.99 you just have to wait until they hit that price point. While they are up at 40 - 50 bucks people will just wait.

But considering that Blu ray is now the ONLY HD format it has taken quite sometime for them to be able to crow about such a result.

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2009 12:27 PM #6

rattyuk - 20 July 2009 01:48 PM

I think he was referring to how deep the DRM has to be integrated into the OS. Microsoft are fine with that - ironic as they were gunning for HD-DVD. Actually the format war would not have happened if Microsoft hadn’t got involved - so chalk up yet another failure to MS.

So we have the DRM issue and that was too high a price to pay for Apple to go with it from the get go and to be honest what do you get from blu-ray that you don’t get from DVD on a 17” screen? Blu-Ray scores when you start to go above 50 inches on displays - not many Macs shipping with those mothers.

Also Apple are a leading distributor of HD media over the internet so aggressively supporting an alternative is not necessarily in their best interest.

A big part of SJ comment was about the royalties and licensing of the technology.  In Feb 2009
    the BlueRay patent holders were working a single licensing solution.

Panasonic, Philips, and Sony are currently working with Blu-ray Disc patent holders in order to create a “one-stop shop” for Blu-ray player and disc licensing. The new company, which would be led by former head of IP at IBM Mr. Gerald Rosenthal, would be based in the United States with satellite offices in Asia, Europe, and Latin America.

Mr. Rosenthal commented, “By establishing a new licensing entity that offers a single license for Blu-ray Disc products at attractive rates, I am confident that it will foster the growth of the Blu-ray Disc market and serve the interest of all companies participating in this market, be it as licensee or licensor.”

If all patent holders agree, those looking to produce Blu-ray Disc products would be charged a flat fee which would then fund a patent pool. Hardware manufacturers would be charged $9.50 for a Blu-ray Disc player and $14.00 for a recorder. Disc manufacturers would be charged $0.11 for a read-only disc, $0.12 for a recordable disc, and $0.15 for a rewritable Blu-ray disc.

When the program launches (currently scheduled for mid-2009, pending approval), the companies sees this a creating a level playing field for independent and corporate manufacturers alike.

• Posted: 31 August 2010 08:32 PM #7

Meanwhile it’s September 2010 and SJ still is in limbo about BD. So I put a BD burner in my Mac Pro myself. I used the latest LG internal model, what other aftermarket Blu-ray burners work with a Mac pro?

Posted: 31 August 2010 11:27 PM #8

laptopleon - 31 August 2010 11:32 PM

Meanwhile it’s September 2010 and SJ still is in limbo about BD. So I put a BD burner in my Mac Pro myself. I used the latest LG internal model, what other aftermarket Blu-ray burners work with a Mac pro?

All of them but My Mac Pro often goofs up on the shift-eject and ejects the wrong drive. Moreover, I’ve stopped buying DVD and BR movies in favor of renting hi-def from iGoons. But rentals from iGoon to iPhone to big boob-tube are troublesome. If only somebody like iWiz would make an iTV that allowed seamless rental from iGoons straight to both my iPhone and big boob-tube at once.

Its like a rumor an engineer told me.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 01 September 2010 12:32 AM #9

Blu-Ray has been leapfrogged by digital. Apple has a long history of abandoning dead end technology.  Don’t expect to see Blu-Ray on Apple products.

Posted: 01 September 2010 01:56 AM #10

FalKirk - 01 September 2010 03:32 AM

Blu-Ray has been leapfrogged by digital. Apple has a long history of abandoning dead end technology.  Don’t expect to see Blu-Ray on Apple products.

Completely agree. I missed the whole Blu-ray/HD DVD debate and never owned (or will own) a Blu-ray device. In the case of the floppy disk, which Apple helped kill faster, it was a leap of faith - one could argue that the current war on Flash is similar - but Blu-ray is a no-brainer!

Stream, baby, stream.

• Posted: 01 September 2010 02:16 AM #11

Roman - 01 September 2010 04:56 AM

Completely agree. I missed the whole Blu-ray/HD DVD debate and never owned (or will own) a Blu-ray device. In the case of the floppy disk, which Apple helped kill faster, it was a leap of faith - one could argue that the current war on Flash is similar - but Blu-ray is a no-brainer!

Stream, baby, stream.

A Blu-ray player comes free with a PS3. Movies are amazing in Blu-ray and the DVD enhancement features makes regular DVD movies look great. Just one thing. I don’t have a need for Blu-ray on my Mac.

• Posted: 01 September 2010 06:33 PM #12

If I can, I download movies. In Europe however, the choice in online video rentals is still very limited. For example there are no movies at all in iTunes Movies. So it’s often easier to hire a BD if you want to keep it legal.

But it’s not the movies I want a BD burner for. I like to make a backup of my own websites, mail, personal photo’s and video or work files now and then. A DVD is not always enough. Usually it is, but not always. I postponed it for years, while BD was expensive, but now you can add a burner for ?120, I don’t have to think about it very long.

• Posted: 01 September 2010 07:32 PM #13

If Apple have indeed “abandoned” and “leapfrogged” obsolete technology then I’d be rather curious to know what they’ve leapfrogged to.

My brand new MacBook Pro has the same superdrive that my G5 (or was it G4?) had. No leapfrogging here. In fact so obsolete is this superdrive that I’d like to replace it with a second hard drive to complement the SSD I’ve put in place of the crappy hard drive delivered as standard. If the superdrive is a waste of space - and in a laptop space is at a premium - why don’t Apple do something about it?

Regardless of one’s overriding adoration of Apple there are times so far as the enduser is concerned that their persistence in sticking with blatantly inferior technology is more than irritating.

[ Edited: 02 September 2010 12:09 PM by balouparis ]      
  • Posted: 01 September 2010 07:58 PM #14

Blu-Ray on my computer is not necessary for me but I have been renting blu-ray disks from Netflix for almost 2 years. We have a home theater system with a 52” Samsung 1080P and the sound and video is really stunning. If you have not experienced it you are missing out. Not obsolete technology at all. And on my Sony blu-ray player, I can download hi def from Netflix, watch You Tube, pay for view if I want. It also has streaming music and photos and movies from computer but I have not tried this as my son has Xbox 360 and it works like a charm with my computer so no need.

Posted: 01 September 2010 08:38 PM #15

The problem with relying on downloads and streaming is that many ISPs are starting to data cap. Watch enough and you will exceed the cap and either get charged more or get shut off. I know that Comcast is doing that in some markets.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…