AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 26 July 2009 03:35 PM

Let’s get started….

Will it be a manic Monday for AAPL or a continuation of the scenic joy ride for investors?

[ Edited: 01 August 2009 02:11 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 26 July 2009 06:04 PM #1

The only negative I read this weekend is that the party has gone on too long and all good things must end. But in reading from more than a couple sites I see none of the Apple bashers from the last few quarters. It seems that the financial results and the undeniable trends in product adoption and the constant stories and rumors of what Apple will do next have the naysayers in their stalls with the gates latched. We hit 160 AH Friday. Wadyathink about 166 this week?

one thing, last week we’ve doubled the low price of Jan. What a difference 6 months makes..Look at a weekly chart with macd, it looks really strong.

[ Edited: 26 July 2009 06:09 PM by danthemason ]      

Posted: 26 July 2009 07:06 PM #2

DawnTreader - 26 July 2009 06:35 PM

Let’s get started….

Will it be a manic Monday for AAPL or a continuation of the scenic joy ride for investors?

The money flow to and from bonds indicate that this rally will continue in the near-term. We’re extremely overbought, but with such exuberance, the market can stay overbought for extended periods of time.

I expect we’ll reach an interim high by the end of July, perhaps into early August, from there we’ll see approximately a 5-7% correction. The market will test this new high after the correction, which I believe will measure approximately 1084 on the S&P. If it fails then I think we’ll see a major correction, perhaps as low as 820 on the S&P. I favor a break through of the 1084 level, perhaps a 65% shot at continuing the uptrend.

-ernie

Signature

Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
    -Wish you were here

• Posted: 26 July 2009 07:41 PM #3

erntheburn - 26 July 2009 10:06 PM

I expect we’ll reach an interim high by the end of July, perhaps into early August, from there we’ll see approximately a 5-7% correction. The market will test this new high after the correction, which I believe will measure approximately 1084 on the S&P. If it fails then I think we’ll see a major correction, perhaps as low as 820 on the S&P. I favor a break through of the 1084 level, perhaps a 65% shot at continuing the uptrend.

-ernie

More pressing than your general market prediction: The Red Sox lost today dampening the market for futures on Fenway Post-Season Ticket sales. That’s at least as relevant as a broad prognostication on the S&P for those us us who follow baseball.

Give us the goods on what you expect for AAPL. Up, down or gyrations all around?

• Posted: 26 July 2009 07:45 PM #4

danthemason - 26 July 2009 09:04 PM

The only negative I read this weekend is that the party has gone on too long and all good things must end. But in reading from more than a couple sites I see none of the Apple bashers from the last few quarters. It seems that the financial results and the undeniable trends in product adoption and the constant stories and rumors of what Apple will do next have the naysayers in their stalls with the gates latched. We hit 160 AH Friday. Wadyathink about 166 this week?

one thing, last week we’ve doubled the low price of Jan. What a difference 6 months makes..Look at a weekly chart with macd, it looks really strong.

Six months ago we didn’t have the June quarter’s non-GAAP results nor statistical indications Apple owns the $1,000+ PC market. The results were stunning (especially when viewed against the outcome for MSFT). I think the market is flummoxed about Apple. The results were too good to ignore and the near-term prospects may override fear concerning the recent run-up in price. In other words, being out of this stock may not be a good idea at the moment for fund managers.

• Posted: 26 July 2009 09:23 PM #5

Monday

R4         169.30
      midpoint   167.55
    R3       165.80
      midpoint   164.05
    R2       162.30
      midpoint   161.70
    R1       161.10
      midpoint   159.95
    PP       158.80
      midpoint   158.20
    S1       157.60
      midpoint   156.45
    S2       155.30
      midpoint   153.55
    S3       151.80
      midpoint   150.05
    S4       148.30

• Posted: 26 July 2009 10:33 PM #6

Report: China has more Web users than US has citizens

By Agence France-Presse

Published: July 26, 2009

The number of Internet users in China is now greater than the entire population of the United States, after rising to 338 million by the end of June, state media reported Sunday.

China?s online population, the largest in the world, rose by 40 million in the first six months of 2009, the official Xinhua news agency reported, citing a report by the China Internet Network Information Center.

The number of broadband Internet connections rose by 10 million to 93.5 million in the first half of the year, the report said.

About 95 percent of townships were connected to broadband by early June and 92.5 percent of villages had telephone lines that could be used for Internet access, Xinhua said, citing the official data.

Rural coverage is expected to improve as the country?s three telecoms operators, China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom invest 280 billion yuan (40 billion dollars) in a national 3G network over the next year, China Mobile vice president Lu Xiangdong was quoted as saying last week.

China?s fast-growing online population has made the Internet a forum for the country?s citizens to express their opinions in a way rarely seen in the traditional, strictly government-controlled media.

The growing strength and influence of the web population has prompted concern in Beijing about potential social unrest, and the government has stepped up its control over the Internet in recent years.

After rioting early this month in the capital of the restive northwest Xinjiang region, the government cut off online access to most of the area, in one of the largest known Internet blackouts in China yet.

It has also blocked access to Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and a range of other sites used for networking and sharing content.

• Posted: 26 July 2009 10:56 PM #7

Interesting read - Profiting 101 - the inside scoop of the street?

Sunday’s paper had a follow up on the above story. Sen. Charles Schumer of NY has warned the SEC that if they don’t curb the practice of flash orders he will move to sponsor legislation to limit the use of the high speed computers.

Elsewhere in the news Eliot Spitzer called the Federal Reserve a “Ponzi scheme.”

Posted: 27 July 2009 06:18 AM #8

DawnTreader - 26 July 2009 10:41 PM
    erntheburn - 26 July 2009 10:06 PM

-ernie

More pressing than your general market prediction: The Red Sox lost today dampening the market for futures on Fenway Post-Season Ticket sales. That’s at least as relevant as a broad prognostication on the S&P for those us us who follow baseball.

Give us the goods on what you expect for AAPL. Up, down or gyrations all around?

All I can say is thank Leo for the pitching. This is actually a good thing to take this batting correction now, better than in September. The Sox will recharge and give it a go right into the post-season. (spoken like the true Redsox optimist that I am).

As far as AAPL goes, there’s no stopping it. Buy the dips. An overbought dip should be coming very soon, pick up anything approaching the 145-150 range.

Signature

-Wish you were here

Posted: 27 July 2009 11:01 AM #9

The markets are extremely overbought, but the thing is, we’re still in the midst of a strong breakout from the S&P 956 level. And with this type of bullish exhuberance, the markets can stay overbought for extended periods of time. But as we stay overbought, more and more pressure builds to correct.

So, it’s probably not a good idea to add to longs at this time, that goes for AAPL as well. I believe it’s best to wait for that pullback and the disposition of the market before comitting capital.

How big of a pullback do I expect we’ll see? My best SWAG would be between 3-5% maybe as high as 6%. Anything in this range would be considered healthy.

-ernie

Signature

-Wish you were here

• Posted: 27 July 2009 11:15 AM #10

So which is it? Buying dips or waiting for a 5-6% pull back?

Posted: 27 July 2009 11:18 AM #11

willrob - 27 July 2009 02:15 PM

So which is it? Buying dips or waiting for a 5-6% pull back?

Would you not consider a 5-6% pullback a dip? I would. Anything beyond that would break the trend, and would require re-evaluation.

Signature

-Wish you were here

Posted: 27 July 2009 12:00 PM #12

Oh what’s that smell.. something fishy’s back…

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 July 2009 12:08 PM #13

Tommo_UK - 27 July 2009 03:00 PM

Hi Tommo, I hope you’re doing well.

Signature

-Wish you were here

Posted: 27 July 2009 12:19 PM #14

erntheburn - 27 July 2009 03:08 PM

Hi Ern, unsurprisingly I’ll graciously decline to politely accept your greeting as you know how much I dislike your gratuitously-lacking-in-integrity musings.

I guess I’m angling to get kicked off the board with this next comment, but frankly I don’t really care too much for TMO and its management as they’ve never done anything for me,  or offered me any thanks beyond the odd email or two (this back when I was posting several thousand posts a month or so until 2008 when I gave up in disgust), so I’ll just say it: you’re a manipulative bastard with a sharp agenda who will bend and twist the newsflow and screw with readers’ heads to subliminally implant FUD and sow unease whenever it serves your purpose.

You’re a snake, and if you’re really going to be writing a regular column for TMO, then woe betide us.

Ta ta.

[ Edited: 27 July 2009 12:40 PM by Tommo_UK ]

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 July 2009 12:22 PM #15

Tommo_UK - 27 July 2009 03:19 PM
    erntheburn - 27 July 2009 03:08 PM

Hi Ern, unsurprisingly I’ll gracious decline to politely accept your greeting as you know how much I dislike your gratuitously-lacking-in-integrity musings.

I guess I’m angling to get kicked off the board with this next comment, but frankly I don’t really care too much for TMO and its management as they’ve never done anything for me,  or offered me any thanks beyond the odd email or two (this back when I was posting several thousand posts a month or so until 2008 when I gave up in disgust), so I’ll just say it: you’re a manipulative bastard with a sharp agenda who will bend and twist the newsflow and screw with readers’ heads to subliminally implant FUD and sow unease whenever it serves your purpose.

You’re a snake, and if you’re really going to be writing a regular column for TMO, then woe betide us.

Ta ta.

You make me smile smile

Signature

-Wish you were here