Apple inks deal with China Unicom .... link included

• Posted: 27 July 2009 11:47 PM

So here it is officially from Reuters ... I can swear I’ve read this story before so take it with a grain of salt ... make that a shaker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSSHA9217620090728

Can anyone confirm this ?????

• Posted: 28 July 2009 12:18 AM #1

Bloomberg is reporting this, but only by linking to Reuters.

China Unicom stock in Hong Kong is up, but only 0.2%.

Posted: 28 July 2009 12:23 AM #2

I’m with China Mobile. Going to have to change carriers, damnit.

• Posted: 28 July 2009 12:46 AM #3

Now from a Shanghai Securities News, though the report is suspiciously similar to the Reuters report.

Stock now up about 2%.

Posted: 28 July 2009 06:12 AM #4

No deal yet?

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 28 July 2009 06:48 AM #5

What you are reading .... premature reports, denials, false online starts by the operator, etc. ... is simply a Chinese way of negotiating with Apple and also communicating with the industry and political structure.

Cook said China within a year during the last concall.  He knows the complex interplay and competitive jockeying that is underway and simply sweeps it all aside by attaching an improbably long timetable to any deal.

Expect A LOT more of this faux reporting, headfakes, stalking horses, accidental website offerings and of course, regulatory assing around by the Chinese authorities to delay everything as long as possible to tilt the playing field their way (why the US trade authorities sit back and let US businesses get kicked around by the Chinese amazes me.).  They cannot even get their head out of their asses over WiFi standards.

• Posted: 28 July 2009 07:14 AM #6

They cannot even get their head out of their asses over WiFi standards.

I understand there is treatment for this condition. It’s a complex surgery where a belly window is installed to allow the afflicted to see where they are going.

Alternate therapy is firmly placing your left hand on your right shoulder, your right hand on your left shoulder and jerking you head out. Disorientation, reality can be common side effect.

Good day to all.

Posted: 28 July 2009 09:34 AM #7

danthemason - 28 July 2009 10:14 AM

They cannot even get their head out of their asses over WiFi standards.

I understand there is treatment for this condition. It’s a complex surgery where a belly window is installed to allow the afflicted to see where they are going.

Alternate therapy is firmly placing your left hand on your right shoulder, your right hand on your left shoulder and jerking you head out. Disorientation, reality can be common side effect.

Good day to all.

lol.  Well the stock doesn’t seem to be going anywhere initially premarket.  Must be frustrating doing business in China.

Posted: 28 July 2009 09:36 AM #8

Bryanyc - 28 July 2009 12:34 PM

Must be frustrating doing business in China.

Oh, you have no idea…

Posted: 28 July 2009 09:55 AM #9

MaxW - 28 July 2009 12:36 PM
    Bryanyc - 28 July 2009 12:34 PM

Must be frustrating doing business in China.

Oh, you have no idea…

Actually - I do!  I just had a potential job out of Beijing, we went around and around, they wanted images without watermarks, which they got, in the end, they said they couldn’t get a visa to the US as easily as to the UK which is supposedly where the job went.  I’ll never know.

Posted: 28 July 2009 10:25 AM #10

I actually bought stock in China Unicom [CHU] over a year ago, when rumors started floating.

Sold it all a few weeks ago for a loss.

I believe the BIGGEST provider of iPhones in China, IS and WILL REMAIN, the black market units out of Hong Kong with FULL FEATURES. The crippled units that the goons in China are demanding, to better control the unruly peons access to information, are NEVER going to compete successfully against the real thing.

Dealing with the bureacrats in China, must be one of the more vexing things Steve et al, must have faced in the past few years.

[ Edited: 28 July 2009 10:30 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 28 July 2009 11:41 AM #11

TanToday - 28 July 2009 01:25 PM

I believe the BIGGEST provider of iPhones in China, IS and WILL REMAIN, the black market units out of Hong Kong with FULL FEATURES.

Most iPhones users don’t use a data plan, which effectively removes any internet functionality on-the-go. The 3G networks out here are still very young (I believe), so if one of the major carriers would tie in the iPhone together with a massive marketing effort to promote the advantages of 3G, it could work very well. These 3G iPhones would also have much more features enabled.

• Posted: 28 July 2009 02:43 PM #12

TanToday - 28 July 2009 01:25 PM

Dealing with the bureacrats in China, must be one of the more vexing things Steve et al, must have faced in the past few years.

When Andrea Jung joined Apple’s Board of Directors in January 2008 this Wired Article spelled out her expertise in Chinese business and worldwide marketing.  So, I’ve always gone with the idea that Andrea Jung was going to help lead Apple’s negotiations in China and help Steve with global marketing of the iPhone.

BTW, I wish we read more about what Andrea Jung brings to Apple.  She seems extremely talented.  And this FakeSteveJobs post about Jung’s relation with Steve was hilarious.

We were alone when this happened. In my office. Standing up, facing each other. She stepped up to me until she was almost touching me. I figured she was going to go for the slap and I was ready to block and counter with a blow to the solar plexus but instead she just leaned in and said to me, in a voice that was hardly more than a whisper: “Listen. Let’s get something straight. Like it or not, I’m on your board of directors. And like it or not, that means you answer to me. If I say I want some numbers, you get them. If I want a meeting, you set it up. And let me make you a promise right here and right now. If you get in my way, or if you try to fuck me up, I will bite off your fucking nuts and shove them up your skinny little white boy ass. Do you understand me? Are we clear? Good.”

Then she left. I stood there shaking. In my entire life I don’t think anyone has ever spoken to me like this. I called Peter Oppenheimer and Katie and told them to get here, ASAP. We conference called Al Gore and Jerry York and told them. Al said I shouldn’t get too upset, that Andrea sometimes comes across as abrasive and he’s heard about the slapping and he’ll talk to her about that but down deep she’s really a sweeetheart when you get to know her and she’s just very direct and honest and that’s a good thing. Jerry York just sat there laughing and then he said, “Kid, am I to understand that I just got pulled out of a meeting so that you could tell me that you got beat up by a girl? And you want me to do something about this? Seriously?”

But another part was also interesting and it has to do with Apple’s cash horde.  Assuming FakeSteveJobs hears the Silicon Valley whispers and buzz, it would be really interesting if Jung is questioning that horde.

She’s sending memos to Peter Oppenheimer and driving him nuts with phone calls and voice mail and email. She says we’re totally not managing our money correctly and we’ve got way too much money in the bank because we’re sitting on $18 billion in cash and we’ve got no debt and we owe it to shareholders to put that money to work and we should be acquiring companies or buying back shares and she’s got all these ratios about cash flow and return on equity and our velocity of capital, whatever the frig that is—I’m not even sure if it’s a real thing, to be honest. Even Peter says he’s never heard of it.

Not that Apple is making any mistakes, but these sure sound like good questions to me.  I wish FSJ had kept writing about that character, but he closed down the blog soon after that post and hasn’t gone back to that storyline.

[ Edited: 28 July 2009 03:12 PM by alcatholic ]

Signature

Off again, on again…

• Posted: 01 August 2009 10:43 PM #13

Peter Lyons is a poor excuse for a journalist.  He is somewhat better at humorous satire.

But in both cases he reveals an obsessive and thinly veiled hatred of SJ.

Signature

You will find hard currency at Midas Mulligan’s.

• Posted: 02 August 2009 12:11 AM #14

Photos of the Chinese iPhone appeared yesterday, focusing on the lack of Wi-Fi. Some can be found here.