OT: Scenic Minnesota

• Posted: 29 July 2009 11:51 PM #16

Eric Landstrom - 30 July 2009 02:16 AM
    Play Ultimate - 29 July 2009 10:59 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 29 July 2009 10:41 PM

For the rest of Minnesota we have 30 breweries not to mention the hundreds of short run brews out there like all of the Octoberfest biers coming in month or two that’ll draw me into Brauhaus.

Only 30? :wink:

But I was talking about good beer made by people singing German polkas.

Hmmm…I think I would like to live in Minnesota.  Can I own a pickup truck there?

Posted: 30 July 2009 12:36 AM #17

Mercel - 30 July 2009 02:51 AM

For the rest of Minnesota we have 30 breweries not to mention the hundreds of short run brews out there like all of the Octoberfest biers coming in month or two that’ll draw me into Brauhaus.

Hmmm…I think I would like to live in Minnesota.  Can I own a pickup truck there?

Can you? It’s a requirement!  LOL

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 30 July 2009 12:55 AM #18

There is no question in my mind that this thread contains the absolute finest scenery ever posted on the Observer.  (the lake shot is nice too)  :-D

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 30 July 2009 03:35 AM #19

Eric Landstrom - 29 July 2009 05:18 PM
    capablanca - 29 July 2009 04:53 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 29 July 2009 03:21 PM

[...]
    Pulling a fifth wheel?

Yes indeed.  But with the F350 it will be as if nothing is back there.  Destinations: Glacier, Yellowstone, Tetons ...

Sounds like fun! We’ll all hail the Queen Mary as you sail by in passing.

Here is my SuperDuty on US2 with Big Fanny in tow.

Posted: 30 July 2009 03:44 AM #20

Obviously energy is still too cheap.  Otherwise, you’ll have your vacation in your backyard :oh:.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 30 July 2009 11:26 AM #21

Mace - 30 July 2009 06:44 AM

Obviously energy is still too cheap.  Otherwise, you’ll have your vacation in your backyard :oh:.

Mace, you don’t understand: capablanca is going green. His turbo diesel uses way less energy than flying 5,000 miles to sit on an island somewhere. Moreover, by passenger mile, his F-350 likely smokes the gas mileage of a Mini or smart car. And then there are the priceless intangibles of a shared family experience motoring across America which is part of the American Experience.

[ Edited: 30 July 2009 11:48 AM by Eric Landstrom ]

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 30 July 2009 02:05 PM #22

True, CO may not have any polka.

But we do have the Great American Beer Festival and a little of

:wink:

(but personally, I prefer your blonde.  grin )

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 30 July 2009 05:41 PM #23

artman1033 - 30 July 2009 06:38 PM

Hey, I GOT AN IDEA! [...]

A meeting is a fine idea.  It would be fun and informative.  The suggested venue is not, however, in tune with the theme of the trip.  Roads like I-35 & I-94, and big cities are all being deliberately avoided.  Duluth is the biggest city we will see until Billings, and we only see it for about 10 minutes.  Plus, we would miss both Bena and Cass Lake.  Last time I was in Bena, we enjoyed a cup of coffee with a local farmer, who proved one of the 3 or 4 most interesting persons met on that trip.

Posted: 30 July 2009 07:33 PM #24

capablanca - 30 July 2009 08:41 PM
    artman1033 - 30 July 2009 06:38 PM

Hey, I GOT AN IDEA! [...]

A meeting is a fine idea.  It would be fun and informative.  The suggested venue is not, however, in tune with the theme of the trip.  Roads like I-35 & I-94, and big cities are all being deliberately avoided.  Duluth is the biggest city we will see until Billings, and we only see it for about 10 minutes.  Plus, we would miss both Bena and Cass Lake.  Last time I was in Bena, we enjoyed a cup of coffee with a local farmer, who proved one of the 3 or 4 most interesting persons met on that trip.

All Minnesotans are interesting. It stems from the open honesty where you hear of our pride in our heritage, our loyalty to family and friends, and is reflected in our distinct culture, manner, bearing, walk and approach to life and recognized in our steadfastly dependable do or die work ethic that never takes itself all too seriously.

Signature

Posted: 31 July 2009 12:34 PM #25

Heading west on Hwy 2 coming from Duluth, take a right (north) onto Hwy 73 @ Floodwood. Go 35 miles north to Hwy 169 and you’ll end up in my hometown, Hibbing. Home of large mines and trucks…

and Bob Dylan… (his house is still there)

Then head west on Hwy 169 to Grand Rapids (another 35 miles),
    maybe stop and do dome fishing…

Then you can continue west on Hwy 2 out of Grand Rapids. smile

• Posted: 31 July 2009 12:55 PM #26

Eric, those Swedish Northern Pike are beautiful.

Posted: 31 July 2009 01:26 PM #27

capablanca - 31 July 2009 03:55 PM

Eric, those Swedish Northern Pike are beautiful.

Last week one of my neighbors popped over explaining that his wife was working late and that he was going fishing but he wanted to use my printer to burn off a lake bottom map. Later on my neighbor emailed me this photo explaining that the map worked.

Signature

• Posted: 09 August 2009 09:00 PM #28

I can’t compete with German Polka Girls, BUT all girls and no diversions make for a dull boy, so here is what Seattle gets to see every August: 

• Posted: 09 August 2009 09:08 PM #29

Here’s another for any flying machine fanatics:

Posted: 10 August 2009 01:03 AM #30

Mercel - 10 August 2009 12:00 AM

I can’t compete with German Polka Girls, BUT all girls and no diversions make for a dull boy, so here is what Seattle gets to see every August: 

You have a way nicer camera than my humble FZ-50. My diversion over the weekend was flopping 1500 lbs. of sand on the ground and setting 160 more pavers.

Signature