The Apple Tablet’s Killer Feature?

• Posted: 02 August 2009 11:17 AM #31

Maybe the ‘‘killer app’’ is really a combination of many functions that have been mentioned in this thread. Is PA Semi going to be part of this device? If so it really puts it out of reach for competition and copycats. No Palm Pre experience. Finally Apple can produce a machine for the whole world that will not be held back by governments, Telcos and IT preconceptions. If there was one item that could really rock it would be IMO handwriting recognition sans stylus. We have heard nothing about ‘Inkwell’ for a long time. The Newton’s cursive recognition was pretty good and that was over decade ago. Imagine using your finger to write like writing in sand. Imagine drawing with your finger and having a colour palette on the screen you just dip your finger into. Hey I am dreaming ok? But my point is that any combination of the features that we imagine or suspect will make this a killer product; and with a true world wide market.

Posted: 02 August 2009 12:32 PM #32

I am in the camp that says that there does not need to be one killer feature.  The draw back of the iPhone and Touch is the screen size and to a lesser extent, the storage capacity.  The Air is still too large to lug around to use it daily as a media player.  A 9” - 10” screen would be great for movies and games, available in abundance from iTunes.  A tablet running OSX which could be used in exactly the same way as any other MacBook, with an onscreen keyboard and an optional external keyboard, which would be bought primarily as a movie viewer, games console, e-reader, ipod etc would be a real winner.  A built-in video camera or TV tuner would be pretty cool.  The ability to use your iPhone SIM card to turn the thing into a phone would be the icing on the cake.  One thing is for sure, Apple are streets ahead of all of us, and I dare say that when the product is announced we will be bowled over.

[ Edited: 02 August 2009 05:33 PM by gatesofhell ]

Signature

"There is one thing that I can confirm without breaking any NDA: the iPhone is hands down, without a doubt, the single most powerful mobile development platform EVER." - Leading Microsoft .Net developer Kevin Hoffman.

Posted: 02 August 2009 12:52 PM #33

I agree that the killer feature for an Apple tablet device would be the versatility. There are lots of markets that would find such a device to be the “perfect thing”.

[Link deleted by DT]

CouchGuy: Your link was deleted due to a reference to a personal site in your first AFB post. You are welcome to add a link to a personal site in your member signature. You are also welcome to participate in our discussions and contribute to the community. Due to the high level of spam activity we encounter, we are aggressive in removing suspected spam activity. A first post with a reference to a personal or commercial site is a common practice of spammers.

[ Edited: 02 August 2009 03:11 PM by DawnTreader ]

Signature

Guy (CouchGuy) McLimore
    http://www.couchapple.tv

Posted: 02 August 2009 01:24 PM #34

gatesofhell - 02 August 2009 03:32 PM

... A 9” - 10” screen would be great for movies and games, available in abundance from iTunes.  A tablet running OSX which could be used in exactly the same way as any other MacBook, with an onscreen keyboard and an optional external keyboard, which would be bought primarily as a movie viewer, games console, e-reader, ipod etc would be a real winner ...

That’s what I expect the iTablet to be.  Is why I said QuickTime player is the killer apps.  Do e in e-reader includes multi-media material?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 02 August 2009 01:33 PM #35

I agree that the killer feature for an Apple tablet device would be the versatility. There are lots of markets that would find such a device to be the ?perfect thing?. See ?The Many Faces of Apple?s Touchable Tablet? at

Couch,nice write up on your blog. Solid reasoning. However I don’t think this board should be the funnel to build your hit stats. Ethics and all that.

• Posted: 02 August 2009 02:52 PM #36

Well we all pay a price for “open and free”.
    But standards of comportment exist.
    This forum is not a bibliography.
    I followed the link, I complemented the gentleman.
    It was his first post.  No ” hi how are ya ?” just a go here link after a hook blurb.
    I may be in error but it will take more than hurt feelings to convince me.

• Posted: 02 August 2009 02:53 PM #37

arty, this was the person’s first post in the AFB. When first posts are accompanied by links to personally run sites the intentions are suspect. We have a recurring spam problem and spam link problem in the community and we do act quickly.

If someone has a personal site they would like to reference (provided it’s not a commercial site) the appropriate place is in in the signature section of the post that can be set-up in preferences. The link was removed but not the other content in the post.

For established members who have a record of contributing to the community an occasional link to a personal site to extend or expand on the conversation is more acceptable.

[ Edited: 02 August 2009 03:12 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 02 August 2009 04:28 PM #38

I’m sorry if some of the community felt my earlier post was spam. I felt my blog post addressed the topic in a detailed manner that could not adequately be tackled in a shorter posting here. I apologize if I went at it incorrectly, and I certainly respect the reasoning expressed. If people really want to find that post, it is easily enough done without the link. And, as suggested, I have added the general link to my signature.

I find myself wondering how many people here feel that the Tablet should run full OS X, as I have seen promoted in a lot of the posts I’ve been reading around the various Apple communities. Myself, I’d prefer to see it use a spin-off of the iPhone/iPod Touch operating system rather than a become a “mini-Mac”. Thoughts?

Signature

Guy (CouchGuy) McLimore
    http://www.couchapple.tv

• Posted: 02 August 2009 04:28 PM #39

As a new guy, I understand DT’s desire to keep the site clean so to speak.  That is one of the great elements of this forum, in my opinion.  At the same time, I encourage folks to click on CouchGuy’s profile and click thru to that link, it is a nicely written article.

• Posted: 02 August 2009 04:49 PM #40

Myself, I?d prefer to see it use a spin-off of the iPhone/iPod Touch operating system rather than a become a ?mini-Mac?. Thoughts?

It seems to me that it must have full featured software titles iWork, iLife to appeal to the productivity demands of a graphics oriented platform. But there is the processor/ battery question. Or would we be looking at a Pages app for iPhone? This is making my head hurt.

Posted: 02 August 2009 05:37 PM #41

danthemason - 02 August 2009 07:49 PM

Myself, I?d prefer to see it use a spin-off of the iPhone/iPod Touch operating system rather than a become a ?mini-Mac?. Thoughts?

It seems to me that it must have full featured software titles iWork, iLife to appeal to the productivity demands of a graphics oriented platform. But there is the processor/ battery question. Or would we be looking at a Pages app for iPhone? This is making my head hurt.

I see the tablet more of a thin client productivity apps will be cloud based.  Mobile Me for the consumer,
    business via Snow Leopard Mobile Access Server.  I would assume the processor will be a PA Semi design which means great performance per watt.  To get an idea of the kind of power take a look at TI OMAP4, I would guess the Apple design would have similar performance characteristics.  The tablet should support Apple’s inkwell technology and App store Apps as far as which OS version.  I would guess Apple has been working the OS along with Snow Leopard but if it is targeted for an ARM based multi-core it will be based off the Cocoa Touch code base instead of the Intel code base of Snow Leopard.

• Posted: 02 August 2009 08:08 PM #42

CouchGuy - 02 August 2009 07:28 PM

I’m sorry if some of the community felt my earlier post was spam.

CouchGuy, welcome to the AFB!

It’s not that we felt your earlier post was spam, it’s that the post style followed a common spammer format and it raised suspicions. Thank you for addressing the issue. I have visited your site as linked in your profile.  grin

• Posted: 03 August 2009 12:06 AM #43

This is a decnet mock up of the Mac Tablet This story suggests a Sept. launch date.here.

Posted: 03 August 2009 12:44 AM #44

danthemason - 02 August 2009 07:49 PM

I would love to see iWork, iPhoto, iTunes, available on a Tablet.  Not so sure about iDVD, GarageBand or iMovie.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 03 August 2009 10:52 AM #45

Play Ultimate - 03 August 2009 03:44 AM

I would love to see iWork, iPhoto, iTunes, available on a Tablet.  Not so sure about iDVD, GarageBand or iMovie.

Connectivity becomes limited in a thin tablet: will there be a SDHC slot for camera cards? A USB port for audio input for Garageband? A firewire port for iMovie? Certainly a Superdrive will not be included, eliminating both DVD/CD burning, but also iTunes importing from disk. I think we’ll see similar productivity as the MacBook Air. But with more media streaming. Keynote will become more important than iPhoto, especially if there is no easy way for camera’s to connect. Even an SDHC slot leaves the Compact Flash users in the lurch.