The Apple Tablet’s Killer Feature?

Posted: 03 August 2009 07:28 PM #46

willrob - 03 August 2009 01:52 PM
    Play Ultimate - 03 August 2009 03:44 AM

I would love to see iWork, iPhoto, iTunes, available on a Tablet.  Not so sure about iDVD, GarageBand or iMovie.

Connectivity becomes limited in a thin tablet: will there be a SDHC slot for camera cards? A USB port for audio input for Garageband? A firewire port for iMovie? Certainly a Superdrive will not be included, eliminating both DVD/CD burning, but also iTunes importing from disk. I think we’ll see similar productivity as the MacBook Air. But with more media streaming. Keynote will become more important than iPhoto, especially if there is no easy way for camera’s to connect. Even an SDHC slot leaves the Compact Flash users in the lurch.

My sidelong look at OS X on a Dell Mini 9 has convinced me that native iWork absolutely works. iLife has some limitations with screen resolution, but iPhoto, iTunes, and iMovie (though the latter hobbled by SSD write speeds) work as advertised. The install I’ve seen has Office 2008, the core OS, several utilities, and iWork running in under 8GB of SSD space after running Xslimmer and monolingual to strip out all the PPC code and extra languages. Everything is snappy, even the UI, on a 1.6ghz Atom multithreaded (single core) with 2gb RAM and a 16gb SSD. Plenty of room to run at 16gb, comfortable at 32gb (likely $699 low end tablet) and plenty at 64gb (likely $799 high end). About 4 hours normal use, 6 with tight economy of screen, radios, and processor. Snow Leopard is going to be a speed demon, even on “slower” processors like the first MBAir, and the rumoured tablet Sep announce/Nov release would coincide with SnoLeo hitting the street. Coincident with an iLife ‘10 refresh and iWork ‘10 cloud - it’ll be as if a bomb went off right before the holiday season.

One can always dream, right?

Edit: and the tablet could and would connect to optical media with any computer’s Shared Disk on the local network. Have seen current netbook hacintoshes install MS Office 2008/iWork over 802.11g from a shared disk, no problem at all. Those involved assured me it was being done for educational purposes only, mind you.  All the Apple pieces are in place, just need the iTablet.

[ Edited: 03 August 2009 07:36 PM by rezonate ]

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 04 August 2009 11:18 AM #47

willrob - 03 August 2009 01:52 PM
    Play Ultimate - 03 August 2009 03:44 AM

I would love to see iWork, iPhoto, iTunes, available on a Tablet.  Not so sure about iDVD, GarageBand or iMovie.

Connectivity becomes limited in a thin tablet: will there be a SDHC slot for camera cards? A USB port for audio input for Garageband? A firewire port for iMovie? Certainly a Superdrive will not be included, eliminating both DVD/CD burning, but also iTunes importing from disk. I think we’ll see similar productivity as the MacBook Air. But with more media streaming. Keynote will become more important than iPhoto, especially if there is no easy way for camera’s to connect. Even an SDHC slot leaves the Compact Flash users in the lurch.

Let’s take this one step at a time. One of the primary goals of a tablet is to build out the eco-system (read iPhone apps). Currently Apple has the momentum and overwhelming lead in the distribution of small, specific use apps for thousands of entertainment, information and perhaps mildly productive apps. Further, book distribution I would think to be a primary goal. What the product will be two years from initial introduction may be much different than what we will see at first.

The goal is to monetize the hardware, commoditize the software and bring millions more customers into the iTunes store for movies, books, music and applications.

In considering this product I think we need to step away from the laptop paradigm and view the much-anticipated product as a means to distribute paid content from the iTunes store to the end user as efficiently and profitably as possible with an alway-connected hardware device that provides a larger viewing and productivity space than the iPhone and iPod touch.

Posted: 04 August 2009 12:03 PM #48

I think it needs to have a firewire port and a usb port. 

Otherwise movie and photo uploading on the go, become impossible or very slow just with wifi or 3G network.

This device needs to replace a certain number of laptops.  I need a laptop right now and I am sure there are millions who would love to upgrade, but don’t want to spend $2K on a MacBook Pro.

many use their laptops for email, internet, and picture and video viewing.  With a tablet once can do all that, but not carry a heavy computer around.

I hope they come out with one in the next 4 months.

• Posted: 05 August 2009 07:40 AM #49

There are heaps of things in this world that have tablet sized screens embedded in them…. fridges, the back sides of car seats, centre consoles in cars, there are one or two plane flying around that have little screens in the back of them. There are also heaps of portable dvd players. There are eBook readers emerging. Most of them are crap. They are poorly built and have appalling interfaces (has anyone flown Emirates? They have one of the better entertainment systems but it is still crap).

Anyway we now live in an iPod/iPhone world. The Auto industry has generally adopted the iPod as the benchmark. An iPod connection is a basic feature in many models.

Could an Apple tablet position itself and become a de-facto standard, like the iPod, by providing the user experience and reliability that others can’t. I can’t wait to have a Apple tablet at home - being able to check iCal, make a shopping list, read a book, watch a movie, make a call, see who’s at the front door, scribble some notes…...

Also…. The iPhone entered a market that should have been a purely commodity driven market. You only have to look at Nokia to see where they see the state of the mobile/cell phone market as being….. volume with thin margins. And yet Apple redefined a segment of market and now they hold an incredible amount of the market even though they were a late comer and only have 1/2 models available.

Apple is honed. If they release a table it’s because they’ve done their homework and worked out how this thing fits into our lives and how it fits into their eco system.

I’ts a home run as far as I’m concerned.

• Posted: 05 August 2009 08:34 AM #50

Speaking of Emirates - awesome selection of movies etc, whopping huge screen.
    Interface is quite possibly one of the worst i have ever used. I watched people young and old alike struggling to use the thing.
    Couldn’t help imagine on the 6 or so flights i’ve had with them, what it would be like if apple built the interface.

Posted: 05 August 2009 09:21 AM #51

benoir - 05 August 2009 10:40 AM

Apple is honed. If they release a table it’s because they’ve done their homework and worked out how this thing fits into our lives and how it fits into their eco system.

I’ts a home run as far as I’m concerned.

I’d say Apple has been clearing a hole in their eco system for a while, allowing the tablet batter to step in and hit a grand slam. Between SnoLeo, MBAir, MobileMe, turning Macbooks into MBPros, unibody construction, new battery technology, Data Center, App Store, Dashboard, inkwell and Cocoa Touch, the stage is set.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 05 August 2009 09:32 AM #52

artman1033 - 04 August 2009 03:33 PM

I am using my brand new REFURBISHED Macbook.

Golly, it is fast. THE HINGE on my old Macbook gave way last week.

$849.00 is a tremendous value. Big screen, big hinge, magnetic power cord, NVIDIA chip, INTEL based.

And you still have firewire 400. For a lot of video on the go users, that’s a very important feature. [although one can get a firewire 400/800 adapter for $12, or a cable for even less. ] I just recently upgraded by MacBook (same model as yurs but with only a 120G drive) to the unibody 13.3 inch, with multitouch trackpad, backlit keyboard, led screen?and I got a free 2nd gen iPod touch 8G tossed in for free. Of course I have no summer clothes that go with aluminium. The white or black MacBooks went with everything. Is that why Steve Jobs only wears black?

• Posted: 05 August 2009 09:38 AM #53

I hope we’re not disappointed. We’ve a lot of creative, market savvy posters here, and a lot of the features we are discussing may nor many not be part of the tablet when it arrives. My biggest fear is that the “tablet” may merely be a smaller form factor MacBook Air. If Apple were really going to enter the netbook arena, shrinking the Air would be an obvious solution. The tablet would be a major leap over the heads of the competition, of course, and I’d rather Apple’s answer to the netbook question would be a paradigm shifting device.

• Posted: 07 August 2009 12:44 PM #54

Gene Munster has come up with this own rendering of the tablet, with some price projections. I’m not sure his model is anymore likely than others I’ve seen. IF the iPhone/Touch apps will run scaled up on this device, I would expect the orientation to be portrait rather than landscape (for those apps), but landscape for new tablet only apps.

A kick stand on the back (like Apple keyboards had years ago) would tip the tablet up for easier viewing when set on a desk top. I would also expect some sort of handle, or gripping area. Something this large can’t be held in one hand while touch with the other, without fingers of the holding hand interacting withe the touch screen. Perhaps the rear kickstand would also be a sleeve for the support hand.

• Posted: 07 August 2009 03:07 PM #55

This is a bit of a fantasy of mine while I have cloud computing, multi-monitor productivity, social networking, and fostering the apple eco system on my mind.

What if a group of 8 friends could meet at some place and attach all of their tablets together in a 4x2 configuration on a table? Now they have a device where the processing power and display area can all be shared. The edges could be clicked together by a magsafe type of connector on any side, not only connecting power but networking as well for an instant LAN setup. The technicals such as heat dissipation, and backwards compatibility (tablet 2.0 with tablet 1.0) will likely be issues but this is just an exercise in thinking of innovative use cases.

There are 2 ways this can used…

* Ad-hoc networking mode
    - Buy your friend’s playlists off of iTunes by dragging objects from one tablet to another. (skinny tablet display edges would be essential)
    - Collaborative document editing.
    - A single person could own 3 of these. At home in a 3x1 config for triple monitor setup, breaks off one like a Kit-Kat for the road, comes back, reattaches to sync contacts, calendar, etc…
    - ...and so on. Your typical office usage patterns where all devices are linked but used independently.

* Voltron mode (all devices act as one)
    - Parallel processing (render farming, video processing, running any sort of map-reduce algorithm)
    - Instant large monitor for presentations.
    - Group gaming. Starcraft style games where the entire battlefield is in view. No scrolling or view hotkeying. All players all help to control the same units/squadrons on one side against another group.
    - Reconfigurable large console for mixing audio for live performances.

Think LAN party 2.0

Posted: 07 August 2009 03:38 PM #56

thephatness - 07 August 2009 06:07 PM

This is a bit of a fantasy of mine while I have cloud computing, multi-monitor productivity, social networking, and fostering the apple eco system on my mind.

What if a group of 8 friends could meet ...

Very interesting. I would be interested in several of these uses, presentation, live and studio work with multiple monitors, yet portable.

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

Posted: 07 August 2009 04:37 PM #57

Speaking of cloud computing I just used an online photo editor for the very first time today.

http://www.pixlr.com/editor/

For my needs it is not too bad.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 07 August 2009 04:52 PM #58

artman1033 - 07 August 2009 07:43 PM
    Eric Landstrom - 07 August 2009 07:37 PM

Speaking of cloud computing I just used an online photo editor for the very first time today.

http://www.pixlr.com/editor/

For my needs it is not too bad.

Must be an “OLD” photo. We have been blessed by rain all morning.

True. The photo is from last night. Plus I ran out of material. Menard’s is scheduled to fill my driveway up with pallets again tomorrow.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.