iPhone Software Patch Released

• Posted: 31 July 2009 04:30 PM

Storm in a teacup

Apple Inc. (AAPL) has issued free software to help users prevent hackers from attacking and taking over iPhones, according to a Reuters report cited by Fox Business Network Friday. The software will patch a vulnerability that could have let hackers take over or disable iPhones.

Signature

• Posted: 01 August 2009 12:45 AM #1

I’m glad Apple jumped on the issue quickly. The viral nature of the news about the theoretical vulnerability was pretty interesting to watch (and hear).

• Posted: 01 August 2009 10:01 AM #2

What was actually demonstrated was a denial-of-service attack whereby a malicious text message can crash the process that communicates with the baseband modem, making it necessary to reboot the iPhone to restore phone service. By sending a stream of such messages, the target iPhone is kept unusable for telephony. A large amount of work would be needed to make it self-spreading.

Apple had the update ready and waiting. Since it wasn’t a realistic real world threat there was no direct need to release it. Releasing is now more of a PR thing than a security thing (although of course it needed fixing at some point).

• Posted: 01 August 2009 01:46 PM #3

sleepytoo - 01 August 2009 01:01 PM

Apple had the update ready and waiting. Since it wasn’t a realistic real world threat there was no direct need to release it. Releasing is now more of a PR thing than a security thing (although of course it needed fixing at some point).

Indeed. The manner in which the “news” of this vulnerability spread made a fix necessary as soon as possible. I’m glad Apple chose to put the issue behind it.

Posted: 01 August 2009 06:55 PM #4

Whew, is all I can say.  It did seem to be a pretty insidious problem.  I kinda wish Apple didn’t have to issue all fixes through a clean OS install, but hey, replacing the OS is probably the best way to do it, even though it’s inconvenient as heck.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.