AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 03 August 2009 11:16 AM #16

ISM Manufacturing 48.9 (50 and over is expansion).  Good to hear!

Signature

NOBAMA / Carter 2012 - “Yes we can - we just figured out a way - it’s called the American deem”

Posted: 03 August 2009 11:34 AM #17

Broke through 1000 on the SP and 2000 on the NAZ

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 03 August 2009 11:46 AM #18

awcabot - 03 August 2009 02:09 PM

Somewhat OT: E-Trade is dog slow today. Is it just me, or is it E-trade’s fault (again)?

I don’t have e-trade and I’ve only seen Fidelity execute orders slow once* and never lag the market.

* It may have happened more than once but I’ve only noticed it once when last year I placed a buy order, the market moved up, and so I tried to cancel and replace with a higher bid but both orders executed exceeding my intraday buying power at which time my broker and I thought the best thing to do was to sell both at monster profit.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 03 August 2009 12:01 PM #19

artman1033 - 03 August 2009 02:01 PM

You know, If a guy has over 50,000 followers on twitter, I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Sometimes I wonder what that 50K followers actually means. There are some people with under 2-5k followers that have great influence, even more so than some with over 100K followers. Depends entirely on the quality of the followers, the reason they follow.

Signature

Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
    -Wish you were here

• Posted: 03 August 2009 12:07 PM #20

artman1033 - 03 August 2009 01:44 PM

Auto sales:
    There are over 250 million licensed autos and light trucks in the USA.
    Conventional wisdom is that sales less than 12 million new cars and light trucks per year is terrible.

I disagree. Cars and light trucks are BUILT better than they ever. They last longer.

Reports on Thursday suggested over 20,000 “clunker sales” in Minnesota alone. According to one “Minnesota auto sales official”, none of the cars were tabulated by the government by Thursday night. (a program run by Citi for their parent, the US taxpayers.)

I think the “clunker program” sold over 1,000,000 cars in the last week.

Some will say, “This is wonderful!”

The market will go UP this afternoon!

Your estimate may be on the high side of clunker-related sales. but I too think the market will like the big number. This program sold more cars than anything I remember.

Posted: 03 August 2009 12:23 PM #21

Mercel - 03 August 2009 03:07 PM

Auto sales:
    Conventional wisdom is that sales less than 12 million new cars and light trucks per year is terrible.

I disagree. Cars and light trucks are BUILT better than they ever. They last longer.

Reports on Thursday suggested over 20,000 “clunker sales” in Minnesota alone. According to one “Minnesota auto sales official”, none of the cars were tabulated by the government by Thursday night. (a program run by Citi for their parent, the US taxpayers.)

Your estimate may be on the high side of clunker-related sales. but I too think the market will like the big number. This program sold more cars than anything I remember.

If there were 1 million cars sold, and the average rebate was $4,000, that would mean the program would need to be at least $4 billion, not the $1 billion alotted.

The congress extended the program, but did they extend it to 500% it’s original size?

Signature

Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
    -Wish you were here

• Posted: 03 August 2009 12:53 PM #22

artman1033 - 03 August 2009 03:30 PM
    erntheburn - 03 August 2009 03:23 PM

Auto sales:

If there were 1 million cars sold, and the average rebate was $4,000, that would mean the program would need to be at least $4 billion, not the $1 billion alotted.

The congress extended the program, but did they extend it to 500% it’s original size?

The “clunker” program is a classic government SNAFU. By the end of the week, it will be 1,000,000 clunkers.

I doubt very much the program will go to the end of this week.  The US Govt. will NOT make the dealers eat $4k per car because Uncle Sam misjudged the # and the fact dealers did not have a reliable way to judge the pace of how fast the money ran out.
    Too, it would put some dealers out of business if they couldn’t collect the difference from the customer.

Posted: 03 August 2009 12:57 PM #23

artman1033 - 03 August 2009 03:30 PM
    erntheburn - 03 August 2009 03:23 PM

Auto sales:

The “clunker” program is a classic government SNAFU. By the end of the week, it will be 1,000,000 clunkers.

1,000,000 clunkers is how many more I’ve got to go before I’m done with my summer terrace project.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

Posted: 03 August 2009 01:25 PM #24

Kudos to EL for both of his amazing calls on BAC and F earlier this year. If I was out in the wilderness, I’d be following the Viking.

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

Posted: 03 August 2009 01:33 PM #25

artman1033 - 03 August 2009 01:59 PM

... THIS guy thinks there is no money on the sidelines.

He is merely repeating what John Hussman said.  But JH’s example is for trading of non-destructive asset and there is no leverage involved.  With leverage, money is created.  And so long banks don’t destroy debt through foreclosures and writeoffs, total money would keep increasing as more people borrow money from banks, regardless of economic and stock market conditions.  Since more people would likely buy stocks on margin when stock market is buoyant, it gives the impression that more money from the sidelines is pouring into the market.  Actually, those are newly created money.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 03 August 2009 01:38 PM #26

Mace - 03 August 2009 04:33 PM
    artman1033 - 03 August 2009 01:59 PM

... THIS guy thinks there is no money on the sidelines.

He is merely repeating what John Hussman said.  But JH’s example is for trading of non-destructive asset and there is no leverage involved.  With leverage, money is created.  And so long banks don’t destroy debt through foreclosures and writeoffs, total money would keep increasing as more people borrow money from banks, regardless of economic and stock market conditions.  Since more people would likely buy stocks on margin when stock market is buoyant, it gives the impression that more money from the sidelines is pouring into the market.  Actually, those are newly created money.

What about all that money hiding in Bond Caves??

Signature

Posted: 03 August 2009 01:43 PM #27

ConMan - 03 August 2009 04:25 PM

Kudos to EL for both of his amazing calls on BAC and F earlier this year. If I was out in the wilderness, I’d be following the Viking.

I second that.  Eric’s been pumping them all year, and been spot on.  Letting it ride or taking profits?  (Or trading?)

Posted: 03 August 2009 01:45 PM #28

Eric,

Serious question?  Bond=debt.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 03 August 2009 01:46 PM #29

dc930 - 03 August 2009 04:43 PM
    ConMan - 03 August 2009 04:25 PM

I second that.  Eric’s been pumping them all year, and been spot on.  Letting it ride or taking profits?  (Or trading?)

What % profit can the Viking Hedge Fund claim for 2009? 400%? :wink:

Signature

“the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”
    -John Maynard Keynes

• Posted: 03 August 2009 01:49 PM #30

CNBC reports that SEC is after BAC and the price drops 50?.