Back To School sales

Posted: 07 August 2009 10:48 AM

IMO, this year’s back to school sales period is very important. Apple has the opportunity to improve its popularity with the BTS crowd in the face of the economy and the uncertainty of Windows 7. How many students will say yes to the certainty of Apple instead of buying a Windows computer without knowing if Windows 7 will be a repeat of Vista?

Alabama is having a tax-free weekend on back-to-school supplies, so I will be checking out the traffic in our store in Huntsville tomorrow.

Ah, we live in interesting times smile

Signature

Striving to exceed the needs of the future.

• Posted: 07 August 2009 02:16 PM #1

I think Apple is well on it’s way to maybe having its best BTS period ever.  If my take is correct, they will capture upwards of 50% of the BTS crowd.  I’m in Pittsburgh, hardly a Mac hotbed, and it seems many many new college freshmen are selecting Macs for the first time in their families.

• Posted: 07 August 2009 11:33 PM #2

Tennessee is having tax-free weekend as well, as are a few other states. Last year, I went to the store here in Memphis less than two hours before close, and the place had been sacked. Apple had run out of most every Mac eligible for the tax break. The place was pretty slammed, had to wait almost an hour in line, and the MacBook we bought was 1 of 3 left. Apple had pulled out all the demo and workshop Macs and pushed shelves to the side to make room for what I was told were boxes of Macs stacked to the ceiling when sale kicked off that Friday.

I suppose this year will be good as well. Lots of tailwinds this quarter- BTS, tax holidays, new models at lower prices, and improving economy.

Check out these photos from the tax holiday in Missouri

http://www.loopinsight.com/2009/08/07/tax-free-weekend-brings-customer-to-the-apple-store/

stkstalker - 07 August 2009 01:48 PM

Alabama is having a tax-free weekend on back-to-school supplies, so I will be checking out the traffic in our store in Huntsville tomorrow.

Signature

Financial Alchemist

• Posted: 08 August 2009 03:58 AM #3

Chaz - 07 August 2009 05:16 PM

I think Apple is well on it’s way to maybe having its best BTS period ever.  If my take is correct, they will capture upwards of 50% of the BTS crowd.  I’m in Pittsburgh, hardly a Mac hotbed, and it seems many many new college freshmen are selecting Macs for the first time in their families.

The uptake among college students is extraordinary. This should be an excellent quarter for Mac sales (economic circumstances not withstanding) and the new Mac Pro line is obviously a success. Apple should maintain its 90% hold on the $1,000+ PC market through the September quarter.

Posted: 08 August 2009 11:01 PM #4

I went by the Bridgestreet Apple store here in Huntsville to see what the traffic was like as the state is having a tax-free day on back to school sales.

I hung out for 20 mins, There were always 45- 50 people there. I saw 6 laptops and 1 desktop sold. Each of these sold with a printer. There was a lot of activity about the iPhones, but I did not notice any sales. No line outside, but the store was full.

Signature

Posted: 09 August 2009 02:37 AM #5

stkstalker, what was your take on the people buying the laptops and desktops? In other words, were they students (or families obviously buying for students)?

Just curious.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 09 August 2009 12:48 PM #6

Bryan Chaffin - 09 August 2009 05:37 AM

stkstalker, what was your take on the people buying the laptops and desktops? In other words, were they students (or families obviously buying for students)?

The laptop purchases looked like purchases for students - there was at least one parent and a young adult. The guy purchasing the desktop was having his data transferred from a Dell and did not seem to be a student. There appeared to be a lot of family units in the store.

Signature

• Posted: 09 August 2009 01:26 PM #7

stkstalker - 09 August 2009 03:48 PM
    Bryan Chaffin - 09 August 2009 05:37 AM

The laptop purchases looked like purchases for students - there was at least one parent and a young adult. The guy purchasing the desktop was having his data transferred from a Dell and did not seem to be a student. There appeared to be a lot of family units in the store.

I had forgotten about the data transfer service available at the stores. What a nice value-added for customers by taking the pain and hassle out of the migration to the Mac.

• Posted: 09 August 2009 03:26 PM #8

I was up in the Cube yesterday. Quite a few people buying iPhones.

Sent from Turley’s eyephone

Signature

Financial Alchemist